Concerned about dish support under eave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbow

Original poster
Feb 17, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I am new to the forum. Thanks for the help.
I am considering going to Direct TV but have some questions regarding the Dish mount.
I don't want the dish mounted on the roof or on a pole.
I have a brick home, 4/12 pitch (33 degrees) hip roof all around with 24 inch soffits and 5 inch gutters.
The only dish mount that I think will work for me are the under eave mounts from Solid Signal such as the
Slimline SLMTUE or Under Eave Mount DTVUEM. The mount would be bolted into the brick with
additional supports bolted into the brick and soffit.
The mount would be mounted on the east side of the house and the dish would need to point back across the roof to the south west. I am located in Jacksonville Florida.
What are your thoughts on this bracket and is it something Direct would supply or even use for that matter.

Yes, it is supplied by DTV. I couldn't tell you about Florida but in my market (pacific NW) we will not mount anything to brick. We also will not mount to stucco but in other areas they do so that's not to say they won't there.

Why No Pole install ?
That would probably be the best, keeping it off the roof.
I am guessing that they are in an area that either it is coral not far under the sand, or the HOA is particular about how they want the dishes located.

There is a picture out there with a under soffit install. Tapcons would hold, but get a high enough wind, that sucker will tear loose.

i know in my area brick and wood siding are fair game, everything else is a no go. but good luck finding anyone with an under-eave mount.

i know in my area brick and wood siding are fair game, everything else is a no go. but good luck finding anyone with an under-eave mount.

I don't like it and don't use it often but when it works it is basically the only thing that will work. I use it primarily in an area I work that is in the mountains and get heavy snow cover.

having never seen one i did a quick Google images search. unless its mounted on the south side i dont see that fairing any better with snow then an unapproved stubby mount.

:welcome to Satelliteguys cbow!

Just a heads up: If there are normal installation methods that could work, like a roof mount, you will likely have to pay extra for a custom install, which is what you are describing.

:welcome to Satelliteguys cbow!

Just a heads up: If there are normal installation methods that could work, like a roof mount, you will likely have to pay extra for a custom install, which is what you are describing.

That's typically how it goes. Extra work for the installer is extra charges.

I'd personally just mount it to the roof. If your worried about leaks then just mount the dish on an over hang that's not above living space.

When they did my install they said it was standard. I didn't ask for it and they had them on the truck. Worked well for me.

S~

Actually, that should not be the case. Some HOA's try to restrict dish owners from certain installs, but, that practice is illegal.

When we replaced our roof a few years ago, I actually contacted DTV ahead of the roof work, and requested a pole mount in my yard. It is very professionally done, at the far corner of my home, near the fence for my back yard. There have been several occasions when I have needed to go to hte dish and brush the snow off. Back when it was on the roof, this was much more difficult, however, it was possible due to where it was. I just didn't want the dish going through my new roof.

As far as the restrictions about where and how a dish can be installed, here is the FCC ruling:

"The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal."

Good luck.

Actually, that should not be the case. Some HOA's try to restrict dish owners from certain installs, but, that practice is illegal.

When we replaced our roof a few years ago, I actually contacted DTV ahead of the roof work, and requested a pole mount in my yard. It is very professionally done, at the far corner of my home, near the fence for my back yard. There have been several occasions when I have needed to go to hte dish and brush the snow off. Back when it was on the roof, this was much more difficult, however, it was possible due to where it was. I just didn't want the dish going through my new roof.

As far as the restrictions about where and how a dish can be installed, here is the FCC ruling:

"The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal."

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies.
Snow is not an issue but winds in the summer during thunder storms can occasionally gust to 50 - 60 MPH.
I do not have a HOA to deal with and I own the home. I intend to replace the roof (asphalt shingles) later on this summer so I did not want to deal with the dish at that point. A pole mount in the yard would be a nightmare. Several side walks in the back yard and irrigation pipes and sprinklers heads as well as some fruit trees.
I have a tall 50 year old oak tree in the southwest corner of my lot. From my crude measurements (elevation and azimuth) I believe I can get LOS but I am not sure. It appears I would be about 10 degrees elevation above the tree. In the front yard (across the street) I have large oak trees that obstruct the LOS. The location I have chosen seems to be the only hope I have. If I were to use a pole mount in that location it would have to be 12 feet or more above ground.
I would be happy to furnish the mount with a couple of braces to secure it in place but if I can't get LOS I would be stuck with a $50 mount and braces.
The install is scheduled for this Thursday (April 2). What are the odds of having the installer stop by and talk with me about the mount and location? I would be happy to pay a small fee for that.

If you have a smartphone, download AR Satellite. It will give you a very good idea of where the los to the satellites is.

Thanks for all the replies.
Snow is not an issue but winds in the summer during thunder storms can occasionally gust to 50 - 60 MPH.

What are the odds of having the installer stop by and talk with me about the mount and location? I would be happy to pay a small fee for that.

50-60 MPH gusts are nothing.

DTV wouldn't arrange this but when the tech comes out you can always ask what options are then reschedule the install for a later day.

its a D* issue, not a HOA. afaik, the only approved material for an S-tube or universal mount are brick or wood. lets face it, do you want that dish hanging off the side of some plastic covered ply-wood?

50-60 MPH gusts are nothing.

DTV wouldn't arrange this but when the tech comes out you can always ask what options are then reschedule the install for a later day.
What, you live in a NASCAR wind tunnel ?

You ever try putting up a ladder safely in that kind of wind ?

its a D* issue, not a HOA. afaik, the only approved material for an S-tube or universal mount are brick or wood. lets face it, do you want that dish hanging off the side of some plastic covered ply-wood?
vs a shingle covers piece of ply wood ?

I don't know why if they can't mount on the roof, they don't make pole mounts standard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts