Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads and be part of our community! Registration is FREE!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!

Connecting DISH to NETFLIX

Discussion in 'The DISH Forum' started by Tvlman, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tvlman

Tvlman Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

Currently I watch Netflix downloads on my HD set via my computer using S-plug & stereo. Looks great. Any chance that DISH will allow it's internet connection to be used for downloading NETFLIX directly to my set? I read that set-top boxes are coming soon for this purpose. That's why I'm not caught up int this Blu-ray thing. The future appears to be digital downloads on a hard drive played through your TV.

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. gck105

gck105 Member

I would guess no. They want you to use your ethernet connection to buy their movies. You might be able to pull it off in the future if they add some of the Slingbox technology to their boxes. Then you could probably stream it from the PC to the box over a home network.
  3. downriver

downriver Active SatelliteGuys Member

Hi, I am curious as to the audio quality on these downloads, is it Dolby 5.1 or better??
  4. Hall

Hall SatelliteGuys Guru Pub Member / Supporter

I'm sure Dish wouldn't mind allowing this, but it's Netflix who likely won't.
  5. jwfgeol

jwfgeol Active SatelliteGuys Member

What resolution are movies from Netflix online? I would be interested in this since I have an HTPC hooked up to my set.
  6. Mdvalenz

Mdvalenz Member

I think the resolution of netflix depend on the speed of your internet. I don't think it has more then stereo sound. I use my laptop connected through VGA and they work great. As for dish, I doubt they would allow it since they are starting their dish online feature. Right now it is only PPV movies and no HD, but hopefully they will offer PPV HD movies as well as free tv shows and movies including HD soon, much like Comcast does with their on demand service.
  7. gck105

gck105 Member

Picture quality depends on your internet connection, but I believe they claim "DVD quality" I hooked my laptop up with VGA cable and a stereo cable and was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality on my 32" inch screen. Haven't tried on the 42" yet, but I assume probably not as good. But on the smaller screen, defienatly watchable. Better than alot of the SD content on TV.
  8. mattopia

mattopia Active SatelliteGuys Member

It's unfortunate -- the 722 has more functionality than any of the huge array of electronics I have currently hooked up. Other than watching live TV and DVRing, the other features are pretty worthless.

I have to keep an original Xbox and XBMC for streaming content from my PC.. HD DVD and Blu-Ray players for high def disk formats. A Roku Soundbridge for streaming audio. And soon an Apple TV for HD movie rentals...

I really should only need one box for everything.
  9. Tvlman

Tvlman Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

The movies via Netflix are DVD quality and are in Dolby but not 5.1. They are widescreen and original format however. My TV bumps them up to 1080p and they look pretty good. No loss of information so far.