Contest: Enter to Win a Titanium Satellite C1PLL LNBF and CS1 Conical Scalar - Ends 12/16/2013 Midni

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I remember when I was 7 years old in 1965, and built my first crystal radio in an old cigar box, that was lots of fun. I then asked Santa for this for Christmas:

Remco_Ad.jpg

I no longer have it, but I remember it was the best Christmas EVER up to that point! I later went on to building all sorts of electronic devices through the '70's, which peaked in 1978 when I built a robot controlled by a Kim-1 one board computer, which is the same processor used in the first Apple computers. I still have the robot and the Kim-1! I haven't powered it up in 30 years though. I was a little ahead of the game, as it's nothing to put together a robot today, and almost anybody can just go out and buy some sort of robot kit.

Kim-1-computer.jpg

51aoIaMHfeL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I remember a winter in the 70's, we had deep snow drifts. I think they were from 3 ft to 5 ft deep.

The Christmas that stands out most in my heart, was the Christmas of 1964. I returned home from Viet-Nam after being away from my family for a year, and the sparkle in my three childrens eyes when I got back I will never forget. Out of 22 years with the USAF, I missed 13 Christmas with them, being stationed in remote areas around the world. I think those times drew them closer than ever to me. They seldom ever go more than a week without calling and always tell me how they love me. I am blessed, and thankful for the blessings.

I always looked forward to Christmas as a kid and back then a year seemed to take forever. The older you get, the faster time flies. My Grandfather was in the radio-TV repair business and got me primed. I always enjoyed receiving and building the gadgets and Radio Shack and Heathkit electronics projects, CB radios, scanners as a kid and getting into the Commodore 64 and Vic20 computers a little later. I guess I still like this stuff today.

Thanks for the contest Brian.

The Christmas I remember most was the year my brother and I got new bicycles from Santa for Christmas. I believe it was 1960. I was eleven and my brother was almost two years younger. We had gone to bed early to wait for Santa. I heard a noise outside and looked out the window, seeing my father bring a red bicycle in the front door. We were really surprised by the bikes Santa left and never told our parents what we had seen the night before.

Ernie

my favorite holiday memory was going to my uncles house for thanksgiving. he had a hatchery and always had good turkeys. and he was the oldest of 12 children and my mother was the second oldest and there were 50 to 60 cousins there also. lots of fun and kids to play with. I remember those turkey dinners fondly. charlie

Every Christmas we used to get new sleds and stay outside and slide till 11 or 12 at night and no matter how low the temperature got we never seemed to get cold. Seems like kids don't playing outside much anymore, they are missing alot.

My favorite childhood holiday memory was seeing the old school c5 Christmas lights when I arrived at my grandparents house. They always had the best Christmas decorations in town.

All the Christmas that I make it to anymore is special to me. As long as my family is together and healthy is all I can hope for. Happy holidays to all fellow fta'ers and thanks for all of the great information gained by using this site.

Before my family scattered across the east coast, we used to have big get-togethers at my grandparents' house. It started with the kids in the finished basement, which had a den and a bar/restaurant-style room, with a few small tables and a huge bar. The grown-ups were all upstairs, occasionally checking in on the bar/kids. My sister and I always marveled at how much tinsel my grandmother's tree could hold, you'd swear there was more tinsel than tree. For dinner we'd all sit around one massive table in the dining room that sat 15-20 of us.

My favorite Christmas was the year my dad was in the hospital with a heart issue...When he showed up at home, OK, on Christmas Day, we were so elated.

In our family we would exchange gifts on Christmas Eve and Santa would deliver his gifts for Christmas mornings. I was always impatient, wanting to know what my Christmas Eve gifts were. One year I was home alone for a short period of time and I took a peak of my Christmas Eve gifts by pealing back the wrapping and then re-taping them. When Christmas Eve came around I was really disappointed because I did not have that sense of excitement and anticipation of what my family was giving me. It was such a disappointment I never did it again. I recently told this story to my 7yo daughter trying to convey to her a big part of Christmas is the anticipation and the surprise of what you receive.

Another special memory I have from Christmas's past is my older sister by 2 years always woke up before me on Christmas mornings and would then wake me up to go see what Santa had given us. Since I was always complaining about this my mom and sister decided to "let" me wake up early one Christmas. My mother woke me up and I went to wake up my sister, but she was having a hard time acting like she was asleep and had a big grin on her face. Although it did not work, I never forgot that she had tried to give me that one moment of getting up earlier than her. Considering she was "cheated" a little bit because her birthday was just a couple days before Christmas which sort of took away some of the excitement of her birthday.

My favorite memories of Christmas all involve going to Grandma's house and visiting with Grandma as well as all the Aunts, Uncles, and cousins we seldom saw due to living so far apart.

Favorite Christmas's here were when everyone would get together, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins. We would all pile in our little house on the Prairie. ( yes we really lived on the Prairie, Sauk Prairie.) Of course there weren't enough beds for everyone so we all pile on the floor where we could. Most of the time it was so warm in there the doors were open even on the coldest winter nights. My Uncles and brother and cousin would play music on their guitars most of the night. My uncle would bring his gut bucket and us kids would play that. Good times.

Among my favorite memories was going to PEI for Christmas. My grandmother lived in an add-on to the old family house. My uncle/aunt and four boys lived in the main house.
They always had a big natural tree and it was fun opening presents with all the cousins.

Catamount

In my house we don't celebrate the holidays or birthdays so we really don't do anything just watch tv and do nothing.

Dan Rose

I guess I was about 7 years old. My uncle was the caretaker of a large house and grounds which was essentially just a summer home for some very well to do people. He was allowed to use the home for a family gathering at Christmas. I remember a huge Christmas tree in this living room that was probably as big as my parents entire house. We also got to play with some of the "rich" kids toys while we were there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)