COZI TV now on 12.3 Beaumont, Texas

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Well, this is new..

For a long time KBMT has managed a jumble of channels.

The most annoying has been KUIL. KUIL has been transmitting 12.3 and 12.4 but from a different tower than their two main channels 12.1 and 12.2

The other tower is quite a ways off from their main tower. The KUIL transmitter is also very weak. To get both channels at once is almost impossible. You have to aim your antenna at one or the other.

Because KUIL was weak you had to aim at it and then bump it over a little to get the other main channels. They were also broadcasting KUIL from a THIRD TOWER that is very, very weak and waaaaay off from the other two towers!

What made this a nightmare was trying to get my Dish Network VIP211K to scan in the channels properly. It was an absolute nightmare......

Then a few days ago MeTV 12.4 just vanished on my Dish tuner. ??? I checked my TV in my bedroom and it picked it up. But it's a dummy TV that doesn't tell you anything, doesn't let you change anything. It's designed for idiots.

I got to messing around with the Dish tuner this evening and after a few dozen deletions and rescans I finally got MeTV back.

SURPRISE!! They finally moved ALL the channels to the same tower and they are all running FULL POWER now! WOO HOO!!!

And the big surprise is we have a new channel called COZI TV.. Never heard of it before but it looks like it might be a knock off of ThisTV.. Very similar..

So now we have Cozi on 12.3 and MeTV on 12.4 and they are cranking out 100% signal.. :D

I have an antenna rotor so I pointed it to the main tower and ALL the channels from KBMT are blasting through 100%..

ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cozitv.com/shows/weekday/

I'm happy to see they have the Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man.. :)

I hope they have some cool late night stuff because I'm a night owl...

edit: OH!!!!!!! And now they are sending the EPG for 12.3 & 12.4 and my Dish tuner picks it up! No more of that "Digital Service" nonsense! I have full guides now for the new channels and now I can schedule recordings!!
WOO HOO!!!

edit: Well this sucks.. They are time sharing the channel. During the day they run MYTX stuff then at night they switch over to COZI programs.
I wanted to record a few movies that are scheduled for the day according to their website but KBMT has that messed up. Can't say I'm too pleased with this but oh well..

Last edited:
Be aware that the transponder that COZI is on, is one of the 26 degree skewed the opposite way that it should be for that sat. So, perhaps your motorized dish lnb will need to be tweaked for it. The new SES-3 is in position to replace this older sat, but as far as I know, hasn't been lit-up as of yet.

Dee I dont think KUIL is at the same spot as KBMT....over at avs someone in Silsbee is trying to pick up 12-3 and someone mentioned the locations

You may be too far north and east to be able to receive 12.3/4/5/6... These channels are broadcast from two low power transmitters, one (on RF channel 43)located near Beaumont on Hillebrandt Rd. and the other transmitter (on RF channel 36) is located north of I-10 and east of Texas highway 62.

Cozi launched in January and its owned by NBC itself....basically its like MeTV, Antenna TV etc

edit: Well this sucks.. They are time sharing the channel. During the day they run MYTX stuff then at night they switch over to COZI programs.
I wanted to record a few movies that are scheduled for the day according to their website but KBMT has that messed up. Can't say I'm too pleased with this but oh well..

you may want to check. zap2it (which dish gets the guide info from) is wrong yet titantv is right. Sounds like they moved the My Network stuff to 12-5 (from same thread at AVS)

Right now, COZI TV, is playing on 12.3. It seems to be a retro television network. MeTV is still on 12.4, My Network has been moved to 12.5, and Mundo has been assigned 12.6

Also a new station lit up in Beaumont that has ThisTV. Its channel 6 (broadcasting on 6) and very low powered (looks like it covers just the Beaumont area and a couple burbs. I dont know how the PSIP will work as your CBS maps to 6 already so you can try and manually add RF6 and see if it works

Be aware that the transponder that COZI is on, is one of the 26 degree skewed the opposite way that it should be for that sat. So, perhaps your motorized dish lnb will need to be tweaked for it. The new SES-3 is in position to replace this older sat, but as far as I know, hasn't been lit-up as of yet.

Oh ok, cool..

I have a number of spare dishes, I'll throw one up just for this. :D

Thanks! :)

Dee I dont think KUIL is at the same spot as KBMT....over at avs someone in Silsbee is trying to pick up 12-3 and someone mentioned the locations

You may be too far north and east to be able to receive 12.3/4/5/6... These channels are broadcast from two low power transmitters, one (on RF channel 43)located near Beaumont on Hillebrandt Rd. and the other transmitter (on RF channel 36) is located north of I-10 and east of Texas highway 62.

Cozi launched in January and its owned by NBC itself....basically its like MeTV, Antenna TV etc

Here's what I scanned in with my HTPC this morning..

KBMT stuff..

100% -- KBMT-DT1 = 12.1 -- 207mhz (ABC)

100% -- KBMT-DT2 = 12.2 -- 207mhz (NBC)

100% -- KBMT-DT3 = 12.3 -- 207mhz (COZI)

100% -- KBMT-DT4 = 12.4 -- 207mhz (MeTV)

92% ---- KBMT-DT5 = 12.5 -- 605mhz (MyTX)

92% ---- KBMT-DT6 = 12.6 -- 605mhz (MndoFox *Spanish)

12.1 through 12.4 are coming in with 100% signal strength which this is a first. .3 and .4 were previously on a different tower than .1 and .2 and the signals were very weak and troublesome.
12.3 and 12.4 used to come in with like 68% even when I aimed directly at them. They were borderline and would drop out frequently, rendering the channels almost useless to me.
Because of this specific problem I purchased an antenna rotor that is essentially a clone of the G-Box (the remotes look almost identical and are functionally 100% interchangeable)..

The rotor works by compass points. I went to TV Fool and the FCC and got the exact locations of all the towers and I made a chart. When I want to watch something I will tune to the channel then use the rotor to turn the antenna to point directly at the tower I want. When I would aim at the tower for .1 and .2, I could not pick up .3 and .4 And vice versa..

Now when I rotate the antenna towards the tower where I WAS getting .3 and .4 from, .1 - .4 are weak and break up. When I rotate and aim directly at their main tower, all four channels come in at 100%, that has never happened before.
All four channels are on 207mhz now, that also is new. All four channels are now broadcasting EPG, that too is new. Even locally .3 and .4 never carried EPG. My TV, my VIP211k and my HTPC never picked up EPG from 3. or .4 before..

My VIP211k is now picking up EPG for .3 and .4 now but the info is wrong for .3 I'm guessing it will take awhile to sort it out. It's showing COZI stuff for evening hours but MyTX stuff for daytime. I tuned to COZI on .3 and confirmed that TitanTV info is correct, that COZI is 24hours and not a time shared channel. They moved MyTX from the 12.3 spot to 12.5 spot. 12.5 and 12.6 scan in on my Dish tuner but they just show "Digital Service" in the guide. :(

I can not complain at all about this, this is a HUGE improvement and it makes things so much easier for me!
Even the 12.5 signal is really strong, it shows a 92% without being aimed towards it.

Whatever they did, they did it right this time and I'm very happy to see this change! I hope they will bring EPG info to 12.5 soon, then everything will be perfect!

you may want to check. zap2it (which dish gets the guide info from) is wrong yet titantv is right. Sounds like they moved the My Network stuff to 12-5 (from same thread at AVS)

Right now, COZI TV, is playing on 12.3. It seems to be a retro television network. MeTV is still on 12.4, My Network has been moved to 12.5, and Mundo has been assigned 12.6

Also a new station lit up in Beaumont that has ThisTV. Its channel 6 (broadcasting on 6) and very low powered (looks like it covers just the Beaumont area and a couple burbs. I dont know how the PSIP will work as your CBS maps to 6 already so you can try and manually add RF6 and see if it works

I tried to scan in the new channel for ThisTV but it's a no show.. I tried with my TV, my HTPC and my Dish tuner. If I could find out where the tower is located I could rotate my antenna towards it and maybe hit it. But being so weak it's unlikely to show up on my Dish tuner.
Not a big deal but it would be nice if KBMT would pick it up too.

Now if they would just bring RTV and PBJ to digital locally! There is some joke of a low power analog station that BARELY transmits RTV but it's very weak and they have a HUGE, ugly watermark across the entire
bottom 1/8 of the screen.
They should be ashamed. And that it's analog, a lot of people can't get it anymore. I don't even waste my time with them, I just get it from the dish.

If we could have ThisTV, Antenna, and the RTV stuff, that would be awesome! Personally, I love the retro stuff!

KBMT stuff..

100% -- KBMT-DT1 = 12.1 -- 207mhz (ABC)
100% -- KBMT-DT2 = 12.2 -- 207mhz (NBC)
100% -- KBMT-DT3 = 12.3 -- 207mhz (COZI)
100% -- KBMT-DT4 = 12.4 -- 207mhz (MeTV)
92% ---- KBMT-DT5 = 12.5 -- 605mhz (MyTX)
92% ---- KBMT-DT6 = 12.6 -- 605mhz (MndoFox *Spanish)
something just doesnt sound right. That shows 4 channles on 12 then (RF12)....according to Rabbitears.info 12-1 & 12-2 are 720p. Trying to fit 2 480i channels with it I dont think really can happen unless they use minimal bandwidth for them. I'm not doubting you but it just seems weird.

The reason 12 comes in better....more power and higher tower ;)
KBMT 25,000 watts 1000 foot tower on VHF
KUIL 15,000 max and 450-500 foot tower (depending on which translator it is) on UHF

As for that other station, your tvfool report will show it as K06PM-D
I plugged in a couple cities. Beaumont proper shows it to be dead north (everything else is 58-65 on compass)
Nederland shows NW of there.....so again its whatever your location is

FCC shows it at 30° 08' 1.00 " N Latitude 94° 07' 9.00 " W Longitude

The other thing is it on VHF Low (it transmits on 6) so depending on antenna it may not pick it up. FCC docs says its hauling arse at 500 watts (yes 500)

My VIP211k is now picking up EPG for .3 and .4 now but the info is wrong for .3 I'm guessing it will take awhile to sort it out.
Dish uses Tribune lists which is what zap2it is. TitanTV is different and usually is updated quicker

Last edited:
Ok, I think this may help verify what is what here in the area..

I took screen shots of info for each channel then lastly I took a screen shot of info from MeTV coming down from C-band, for the sake of comparison so people can see what they are doing at KBMT with compression and stuff.

(Pay no nevermind to my jumbled channels list on the right side, I need to delete a bunch of old junk from it.. :eek: )

The screens are self explanatory..

You can see all the SID/PID stuff, the frequencies, resolution, etc...

I have no idea what the Ksps means.. The mbps, I understand to some degree and on each channel it is wild.. 12.1 is lower than 12.3 ! 12.5 is WAAAAAY high! 12.4 is pathetic... Seriously, :wtf: is their methodology/logic here?

Also notice the signal strength and picture quality meters are all at 100%... This is brand new too! Previously I was getting like 96% on 12.1 and 12.2 and average of 68% to 78% on 12.3 and 12.4
the later channels would get very weak after 8pm and start breaking up. By midnight they would be so weak that it was impossible to watch them. Now they are rockin on full tilt after midnight !

I hope this info is helpful..

:)

Attachments

• 2013-02-09_000117.jpg
    2013-02-09_000117.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 2013-02-09_000232.jpg
    2013-02-09_000232.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 2013-02-09_000331.jpg
    2013-02-09_000331.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 2013-02-09_000404.jpg
    2013-02-09_000404.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 2013-02-09_000432.jpg
    2013-02-09_000432.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 2013-02-09_000501.jpg
    2013-02-09_000501.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 2013-02-09_000645.jpg
    2013-02-09_000645.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
I checked COZI on my TV set (vizio) and it does pick up proper EPG for all the channels. So I am 100% certain that KBMT is doing it right.

My htpc does not find any EPG, never has except for Russia Today, only.

And the VIP211k has the wrong info for 12.3.
12.1, 12.2 and 12.4 are just fine.

12.5 and .6 just say "Digital Service".

Well, it's progress. All we can do is hope and wait.

:)

Posted with my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys app

someone confirmed it on AVS that yes 12-1 thru 4 are on RF12

Yes. Indeed that is true! I confirmed it on my LG HDTV which has a manual tuner. When going to 12.3 or 12.4 and then going to the manual tuner mode, it shows RF 12. When tuning in to 12.5 and 12.6, and then going to the manual tuner it shows RF 36, or RF 43 respectively.

So, in a nutshell, 12.1/2/3/4 are indeed on RF 12. 12.5/6 are now the only channels on the LPs.

not that I didnt believe you...;)

I checked COZI on my TV set (vizio) and it does pick up proper EPG for all the channels. So I am 100% certain that KBMT is doing it right.

And the VIP211k has the wrong info for 12.3.
12.1, 12.2 and 12.4 are just fine.

12.5 and .6 just say "Digital Service".

TV's use a different service for guide info than Dish receivers do. Dish actually has to manually set it up in their system so until Tribune (zap2it) fixes their end it will be wrong on Dish

OThe mbps, I understand to some degree and on each channel it is wild.. 12.1 is lower than 12.3 ! 12.5 is WAAAAAY high! 12.4 is pathetic... Seriously, :wtf: is their methodology/logic here?

OK...I'll try to explain it (well wiki can) ;)
Digital television supports multiple digital subchannels if the approximately 19.4Mbit/s (megabits per second) bitstream is divided

so each station has 19.4 MBits to work with (maximum) to use on their channels. So as example my CBS (WCCO Minneapolis) that has no subchannels (its owned by CBS) uses around 18MBits. The more subchannels you put on the more that bandwidth needs to be split up

The HD channels need more bandwidth so they get priority....but your HD channels bandwidth honestly looks real bad. Typical dual HD stations run between 8-10Mbits and can vary depending on the programming. I mean 4.4Mbits on 12-2? Damn I've seen SD stations use more bandwidth ;)
They may still be moving stuff around bandwidth wise. As for Metv and its low bandwidth, its SD. Thats why. Here in Mpls our MeTV (and ThisTV as they are on same channel) run between 1.6-2.
The MyTX (12-5) looking at the info when it was on 12-3 it was the same bandwidth (11.4 or so) so the channel basically just got renumbered

But hey....you got 2 stations now on the main tower now that you couldn't get originally ;)

Yes indeedy !!! It's all good ! :D

Now I can get MeTV (and the new COZI) on any set in the house via my Dish tuner. And have EPG. And have it full power!
No nighttime fading out!

I had this insane vision of having "One machine to rule them all!" thing going on so I could simplify things but that's just not ever happening.
But this takes the sting out of it a little.

Typically this is how it goes around here.

I have my new little µHD in my bedroom where it records Harveytoons twice a day, 7 days a week. I'm stockpiling them.. :D
On Saturday nights it records Offbeat Cinema and Wolfman Mac. It records Laurel & Hardy on Sunday mornings.

During the rest of the week when there is nothing new on I watch them and can skip through the commercials. The ones that stink, I can erase, a few are keepers from time to time.

Most of the time I'm watching on my Dish tuner. I watch a lot of MeTV through it but the local tampering annoys me, I hate the local commercials and they really degrade the picture quality.
Plus they cut out of shows several seconds to early to run their local station ID over the national ID. I think they call these "bumpers".. They are ill timed and you see the local ID then a few seconds later the national ID follows. They aren't covering it over at all and you can miss critical plot stuff... :mad: Oh well..

So that's fine during the week, I put up with the local clumsiness and poor picture quality but on Saturday I switch over to my HTPC and watch MeTV all night via C-band...
The computer has a ridiculously huge buffer so I can pause it then go cook dinner, take a shower, sit on the patio, go shopping, whatever, while it buffers up a whole lot of video.
Then I can sit down at my desk where I have a nice 24" LED screen and watch MeTV all night, skipping through the commercials. It's really good quality as for the picture and no local commercials and fumble finger station ID bumpers.
I've pretty much given up on having my HTPC piped through the house, it doesn't play well with my Vizio TV (the Vizio uses an odd screen size that windows can't adjust to so the bottom of the screen with the task bar is cut off and it's very hard to control it from another room. Plus there's no way to switch back and forth between it and the Dish tuner from other rooms, I have to go to the room where it resides to switch it over. Now I just use it at my desk. Having the µHD in the other room takes care of this problem.

Eventually I will get a TV for my kitchen and will be able to run the various tuners to it too via a single wire.

Anyway.. I've just discovered something interesting about COZI, they are running Bugsy right now and it's in 16:9 format ! And amazingly, it's not stretch/squish-o-vision.

According to the scan info I got yesterday they are broadcasting in 720p. I also just went and looked on my TV info and it too says it's 720p.
Despite that, you can very easily tell that the picture is highly compressed, low quality. :(
It says "HD" but it's far from it. Maybe they think only really old people in nursing homes will watch this channel in the day room 25 feet away from a 32" set way up on the wall..
Having a top end pro camera has ruined my expectations of pretty much everything.. (Forgive me for the quickie iPhone photos, I didn't feel like dragging out my real camera)

But anyway, hey, it's free TV so I'm not going to complain about it. Too much... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1306.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 485
Anyway.. I've just discovered something interesting about COZI, they are running Bugsy right now and it's in 16:9 format ! And amazingly, it's not stretch/squish-o-vision.

According to the scan info I got yesterday they are broadcasting in 720p. I also just went and looked on my TV info and it too says it's 720p.

Cozi is 16:9 and 480i from the "master feed". From a thread in the FTA area when it first launched

Video format: 480i with 16:9 aspect ratio

so maybe KBMT is still working out the whole "moving Cozi to 12-3 and moving myTX to 12-5"
Seems dumb to run 720p on a channel that is only 480i to begin with

I can get channel 27 and its sub channels here in Nederland, but the signal is not consistent and drops out on the picture on my tv and my sat receiver. The pq is so bad and the movies so old , I really can't watch it. Besides it is more or less religious stations with a few sub channels that show family tv shows.

I have sent emails to both DISHquality and DISH itself and my contact at Ecostar field office too , about the guide information on Cozi tv and Mytx etc. I hope that we will get a response some time this week . IF not I will keep firing the emails off to inform them of the change. It took me a short phone call to Kip Wilcoxson at Echostar,to get guide information for Bounce 4.2 and the Tbn and it's sub channels. But to get Metv guide data it took channel 12 moving the sub channels to it's same broadcasting tower as ABC/NBC to get it to finally get guide data. They actually added the guide data a year ago, but having the duplication of Metv and Mytx on both 36 and 43 ,caused this the guide data to never load. Now if we can just get Tribune to get the message about the channel change on 12.3 ,we might get it to reflect Cozi tv instead of Mytx. I doubt we will get guide data for Mytx and Mundo fox at all, if they stay on low broadcast towers.

As for OTA, I noticed that even on my Vizio TV using an OTA outdoor antenna, the guide data for 12.5 is wrong.

12.1 through 12.4 are all correct, OTA. 12.6 I don't know, my Spanish is really bad except for menu reading.. :eek:

but 12.5 is showing the guide data for 12.3 and that's KBMT doing that!

I'm also getting TWO channels for 12.5 and 12.6, I assume they are the old 36 & 43 channels from the old low power towers. Not a big deal though because they apparently cranked up the power on those, I see a 20 point increase in signal strength on them.

Now, on my VIP211k tuner and using a splitter to feed the tuner and the Vizio via the same outdoor antenna, I am getting all the same channels via the same wire.
12.1, 12.2 and 12.4 all have correct guide data and this thrills me to no end! :happyd2:

12.3 (COZI) is showing guide data that SHOULD BE on 12.5 MYTX

12.5 is showing the infamous "Digital Service" for MYTX

Looks to me that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, at the cluster foxtrot dance.. If you know what I mean... :eek:neinacrowd:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)