Direct TV Caribbean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

interd0g

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
miami
Anyone have any experience with this?. I know there is a good signal throughout the Caribbean but don't know what the service is like these days. The programming choices look different and there is the question of availability of English language audio.
Thinking of spending some time down there.
I used to install this on yachts and the occasional ship heading South from here.

I have DTV of puerto rico, you can choose audio language.Signal is pretty good with a 24'' dish.
One problem i do have with them is they advertise on there website 14 NFLST channels.You
really get 7 channels, so you're not guaranteed on seeing your team every sunday.

I am using DTV that i got in usa now South of cuba and its great i use a 6ft but apart form that it works fine and i get all the south FL locals also some TPs are very low but it does not effect me much over all it works great.. i been doing this for over 2 yrs on my island and i will say it's good so you should be fine the for DTV you will need min 6ft forDTV for sure and for dish i have used as small as 32" and got 119,110,61.5 good ..

good luck hope it helps..

What satellite I need to point with a 6 footer to get the DTV signal in the Caribbean?

What satellite I need to point with a 6 footer to get the DTV signal in the Caribbean?

i am pointing to 101W with 6ft Bud.... for HD you need 6ft for the 101W and 8ft for the 103W .. can't get 99W at all.. only one TP and it like 30%..... so i would stick with SD.. works fine for me.. Good Luck

About my original question (What is directv caribbean?) I finally got a reply from them in TT. TT handles the general region.
In fact as I feared, the service is not as described on the site. Don't ask me why the site describes a much better service and channel list.
You can't select audio language or control subtitles and also there is no HD. Unwanted Spanish titles are annoying and CNN in Spanish also if like me your Spanish is schoolboy level.
However if you cant get anything else and you live down south, it does have a strong signal with a 3ft dish and its legal.

i am pointing to 101W with 6ft Bud.... for HD you need 6ft for the 101W and 8ft for the 103W .. can't get 99W at all.. only one TP and it like 30%..... so i would stick with SD.. works fine for me.. Good Luck

Hello SATCOM4:

The people in the Caribbean probably could get the HD signal (Ka Band) with a 8 ft. off set fed antenna, but the trick of combining them so each signal can be fed to a wideband multiswitch is tricky to expensive most likely almost imposible:

This is the frequency plan:

13 VDC & 0 KHz tone:
99 W (RHCP) Ka-Lo 250 MHz to 750 MHz
101 W (RHCP) Ku 950 MHz to 1450 MHz
99 W (RHCP) Ka-Hi 1650 MHz to 2150 MHz

18 VDC & 0 KHz tone:
99 W (LHCP) Ka-Lo 250 MHz to 750 MHz
101 W (LHCP) Ku 950 MHz to 1450 MHz
99 W (LHCP) Ka-Hi 1650 MHz to 2150 MHz

13 VDC & 22 KHz tone:
103 W (RHCP) Ka-Lo 250 MHz to 750 MHz
119 W (RHCP) Ku 950 MHz to 1450 MHz
103 W (RHCP) Ka-Hi 1650 MHz to 2150 MHz

18 VDC & 22 KHz tone:
103 W (LHCP) Ka-Lo 250 MHz to 750 MHz
119/110 W (LHCP) Ku 950 MHz to 1450 MHz
103 W (LHCP) Ka-Hi 1650 MHz to 2150 MHz

You need a special custom made band pass filter to separate bands (frequencies) also you need a 22 KHz tone generator because 103W is combined with 119 W and 110 W, this tone generator will make that part of the internal switch in the lnbf available so the LNBF activates the needed part of the spectrum from the receiver.....then you need to recombine and feed to a wideband multiswitch......quite a trick!!!! possible but expensive!!!

Directv ird's wont work without the EEPG this is fed by the birds @ 101W so if you intend to receive only HD (99 W & 103 W) the ird will not work.......bottom line very complicated and expensive!!!

For Interd0g:

In the caribbean the best signal is Dishnetwork for HD & SD, DirecTV Puerto Rico could be other option, but not 100% US content, Trinidad & Tobago have some US channels, al other are Latin america versions most with subtitle, others with SAP in it's original version.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)