DirecTV 2013 Price Increases

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In the composite with all fees counted, the only reason the state tax might be more is because almost half are already paying over $100/month for DIRECTV service.

These state legislators that tax things that they don't regulate need to be removed from office. It isn't like they're going to have to put pay TV subscribers on state-run medical care because they watched TV.

Same tax applies to E* you know. :)

If I was with E* with the new pricing, my bill would be higher most likely as I like it all. But right now, with D*, I can and do get good discounts to keep Premier. When I was with E*, the discounts were harder to get and much smaller.

Just sayin'! :)

I didn't expect that it wouldn't. The only difference is that the average DISH customer pays somewhere around $16 less than the average DIRECTV customer.

And that doesn't matter to me at all. How much I would or do pay is what matters to me. At the upcoming rate structure of both, at the Premier/AEP+Multi-sports level, the difference in cost between the two is virtually non-existant. Frankly that surprised me when I saw the price of AEP with E* going to the level it is.

As to the 'average', well that's fine IF you fit the levels of 'average'. I don't and haven't, not even when I was with E*.

this is getting ridiculous. the prices are increasing much faster than wages are, and pretty soon i think a lot of us are going to have to make some decisions on whether this is worth it. this is why i get so mad about the sports moving to cable, especially football. they are bidding hundreds of millions of dollars for these sports then passing the costs onto us. something has to change

this is getting ridiculous. the prices are increasing much faster than wages are, and pretty soon i think a lot of us are going to have to make some decisions on whether this is worth it. this is why i get so mad about the sports moving to cable, especially football. they are bidding hundreds of millions of dollars for these sports then passing the costs onto us. something has to change

Amen this needs to stop especially with ESPN being owned by Disney is the worst of them all and Viacom I forgot about them but ESPN(Disney) charges the most don't they? :)

Last edited:
While ESPN does ask for a fair amount of money at least they have programming people watch

I mean sure if you're the trailer park type who loves Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, Jersey Shore, __________ Wives and crap like that Viacom channels might be for you. But for most of us we didnt care when Viacom was pulled

The only Viacom channel really watched in our house is Nick Jr and that can and most likely will be replaced with Disney Jr. once we have D* installed.

ESPN(Disney) charges the most don't they? :) I watch Disney Jr and Spike the most out of Viacoms channels :)

Last edited:
While I don't disagree that Charlie might consider a battle of that proportion, if it would cause a 1/3 drop in subscriber base it could be seen as not carrying out his fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders.

ie; he might want to, but probably won't.
Perhaps. I make my observations based on the fact that Ergen is a gambler. He has not hesitated to take on the establishment. He has stepped on many toes along the way.
I think that this is the one item that may just allow Ergen to take the plunge.

Completely different scale. Streaming radio stations top out at, what, 48kbps? High end streaming services like MOG or Spotify top out at 320kbps. That's a far cry for the 6mbps required for Netflix to deliver a single HD stream.

Dish wants to improve their position for providing lucrative "on demand" content -- this is merely an extension of the reasons they acquired Blockbuster.

The internet has a play in the future of how we get video, but it's not a replacement for existing broadcast distribution methods. I wrote about this in another forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,25003030

Mark Cuban (yes, that Mark Cuban) also addressed the scale problem in a blog post a few years back: http://blogmaverick.com/2009/01/27/the-great-internet-video-lie/

The Internet doesn't magically make everything better and cheaper, there are many more factors in play.
Your post makes a lot of sense...If you choose to believe something will not happen, it won't. I happened to think that technology will continue to advance and we will see advances.
I remain optimistic.

I didn't expect that it wouldn't. The only difference is that the average DISH customer pays somewhere around $16 less than the average DIRECTV customer.
Thats Total BS!

Dishnetwork is $1-3 less on average, and most times you're also getting less.

As much as Dish wants to think Top120 is equal to Choice pack, the are totally blow smoke up you know where.
Same with top 200 being equal with Choice extra. Never.

Even if Directv is a little more $ than Dish it seems more people are happier with them in the long run compared to Dish. Maybe not on this forum but their #'s don't lie...........

5 million+ more.

Thats Total BS!

Dishnetwork is $1-3 less on average, and most times you're also getting less.

As much as Dish wants to think Top120 is equal to Choice pack, the are totally blow smoke up you know where.
Same with top 200 being equal with Choice extra. Never.

A $16 difference in APRU (avg revenue per subscriber) is entirely possible with things like Sunday Ticket and others.

An article that says a $16 difference is most likely reporting on ARPU, which both companies report in their quarterly earnings reports.

A $16 difference in APRU (avg revenue per subscriber) is entirely possible with things like Sunday Ticket and others.

An article that says a $16 difference is most likely reporting on ARPU, which both companies report in their quarterly earnings reports.
But thats not comparing Apples to Apples.
If ST is added in then Yes, of course D* will cost more, but if you go by Normal programming packages, I think the difference in minimal.

You just proved my point, The average Directv customer is spending more, not because the are forced to.

Dish customers might spend more too, if Charlie would add some sports,and stop dropping channels.

But thats not comparing Apples to Apples.
If ST is added in then Yes, of course D* will cost more, but if you go by Normal programming packages, I think the difference in minimal.

Yes, straight package differences are minor. Dish has more low-end packages than Directv available (or advertised at least). Directv packages have usually been a few dollars more, like 3-5 range, but that gap has closed over the past few years and they are pretty close now.

Yes, straight package differences are minor. Dish has more low-end packages than Directv available (or advertised at least). Directv packages have usually been a few dollars more, like 3-5 range, but that gap has closed over the past few years and they are pretty close now.

Amen and it is getting closer :)

IMHO Directv seems to have more family type channels aligned in the proper packages than DISH does. We were able to go from the AT200+ (only because of Nick Jr were we in that package) to the Entertainment package with Directv and even after the promo ends we will be saving money compared to what our bill was with DISH, plus Directv has Disney Jr; something DISH does not have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)