Directv On demand in Canada using VPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Everybody I know in Canada with DirecTV that uses On Demand just uses a straight connection without any issues.

That's correct. Of course it's always at your own discretion when they do that. A friend of mine is going on 2 years and so far no hassles.

I don't understand how. Everyone I know here has tried, including me, without a VPN but no luck.

I don't know how much time I've wasted trying it. If you know the secret, please share. :)

I'm happy I found this thread, I'm a legit subscriber north of the border and I've been too terrified to ever plug in an ethernet cable and I've been dying to use on demand, I subscribe to all of the premium packages available so I would get great use out of it.Has anyone used the VPN service Private Internet Access to get on Demand working, if I get a confirmation I will subscribe to it tonight.PIA has a really cool option where it will disconnect your Internet access if it detects the VPN is not working for any reason.

Well it turns out VPN providers like PIA (Private Internet Access) provide what's called an Internet Kill switch will disconnect you from the Internet if it detects your VPN service is down, but this only works with a client installed on a workstation like a PC, Mac, etc. There is no way for your router to disconnect from the internet if it detects the VPN service is not working for some reason.

I want to make use of the On Demand service so badly, but the fact that my Canadian IP could be exposed scares me too much, I don't want to ruin a good thing, the family will kill me.

I hear you, Rockstead. :)

I need to get a tech in here to setup a VPN. I have everything I need, other than a tech.

Well it turns out VPN providers like PIA (Private Internet Access) provide what's called an Internet Kill switch will disconnect you from the Internet if it detects your VPN service is down, but this only works with a client installed on a workstation like a PC, Mac, etc. There is no way for your router to disconnect from the internet if it detects the VPN service is not working for some reason.

I want to make use of the On Demand service so badly, but the fact that my Canadian IP could be exposed scares me too much, I don't want to ruin a good thing, the family will kill me.

I found this last night after lots of digging.You need to have a customized firmware on your router, DD-WRT in this example so your router must support it.These are the instructions to have the router disconnect if the VPN goes down.https://airvpn.org/topic/4287-how-t...dd-wrt-if-vpn-connection-fails/#entry4287This link describes what to do to avoid DNS leakshttps://airvpn.org/topic/2377-preventing-dns-leaks-dd-wrt-router-client/

Last edited:
That's what I use. I took an old router flashed it with ddwrt openvpn version. Added my VPN providers "openvpn" credentials and placed the router in between my main router and the directv box. I use ipvanish.. They have ddwrt setup instructions with pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I use. I took an old router flashed it with ddwrt openvpn version. Added my VPN providers "openvpn" credentials and placed the router in between my main router and the directv box. I use ipvanish.. They have ddwrt setup instructions with pictures!

that's pretty smart, so you just put that second router in any one of the ports on your primary LAN and now the VPN only applies to your Directv and not the rest of the devices that connect to them.

are you using a script on the DD-WRT to kill the Internet connection if it detects the VPN is down, like the link I posted shows how to do?

That's correct.. Only the directv box is behind the VPN.

No never included the kill switch.... You got me thinking maybe I should. Ill look into it.

That's correct.. Only the directv box is behind the VPN. No never included the kill switch.... You got me thinking maybe I should. Ill look into it.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know how it goes, I'm digging my old Linksys out of storage. I had dd-wrt loaded on and I'm going to subscribe to PIA tonight, you should consider it, it's half the price of your VPN provider.I'm just really cautious and although I really want on demand because I pay for it essentially) I want a way that I can test to see if the VPN kill switch is really working, I haven't figured out how to do that yet, if I ever lost the Directv subscription over this, the family would kill me.

I actually bought my VPN sub last Black Friday and paid $50 for the yr.

I agree.. Don't know what id do if I lost directv.. No way I can go back to Canadian TV

Thanks for that info rsoares28!

Just one thing I'm confuse about, Are you paying for two monthly services to achieve this? "openvpn" and "ipvanish". I never heard of ipvanish but the name is pretty self explanatory, Just curious why do you need dipvanish when you already have "openvpn"? doesn't a vpn already show your IP as if you where in the USA?

Sorry just trying to understand because I want to do what you did :)

Thanks

Nope, only paying ipvanish(the VPN).

On the ipvanish website it's gives you instructions on how setup you're ddwrt router to use pptp/Ltpp/openvpn. I chose the openvpn route.

You're router must also be flashed with a openvpn ddwrt version. It would say in the file name. I think the "big" or "mega" builds also include openvpn.

Does that make sense?

Hello again, everybody.

Well, one year later I can gladly say that I have DirecTV On Demand up and running. It cost me a pretty penny, but from what I saw yesterday, it's worth all of it and more. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)