DirecTV Remote is Awful

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AtlantaX

Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
GA
I just switched from Dish Network and have to say that there are a couple of things I really don't like about DirecTV, but one thing stands out the most - the physical remote control. I've seen the DirecTV remotes for some time and used them on occasion and always thought they were poorly designed but I kind of wrote it off as me just not being used to it. Now that I have to live with it every day, I can honestly say that it's the worst designed remote control I've ever used. Why are the numbers and enter key at the bottom of the remote??? And why is there both a "select" key and an "enter" key. Dish has its issues but their remotes were wonderful - I could navigate everything with my thumb. Now I have to be a hand acrobat in order to switch channels. OK, gripe over.

I was wondering if anyone has an alternate suggestion for the DirecTV remote. Is there another remote they make that I can order? Or does anyone use a 3rd party remote that they like? I've been looking at the Logitech Harmony series - was wondering they were really as easy to configure and use as they say.

Anyway, thanks for any advice/suggestions you can provide.

I don't have an answer for you, I am just chiming in to say that I agree. Worst remote I've ever used. Hands down. I recently re-signed with D*, and that was the second thing I remember not liking before, and still not liking now. ( the other is the turtle speed channel change)

IIRC some folks use one of those high-dollar Harmony remotes, but I am not sure. Damned if "I" am gonna pay 400 bucks for a remote control, though. :rant:

I have a Harmony One remote, I bought it new online for 159.00. I thought I was crazy to spend that on a remote but that is the best investment I have made. I have several components and it is a breeze to operate and update if I add new equipment. I had this before going to DTV but I agree with you, the DTV remote is not very good for a universal remote.

I have a Harmony 700, got a deal online for it. I had a Harmony 520 and that was great but the 700 is a lot better.

lets see

remote_RC32.jpg

vs

Dish_DVR_Remote_zoom.gif

number keys are in the same place
but direct put the enter button down there for convenience

other buttons do take some getting used to after a switch, but its manageable, after a few months o dont even notice anymore

I think the main problem is with the ergonomics with the Directv remote, they are also very slow. Placement of the buttons is about the same. That's the biggest complaint I get at home about Directv. "The remote sucks"!

I'm not a huge fan of the DTV remote either; when I use it in my office (the only room that has it) I always end up hitting the "Active" button, and I still don't know what exactly it is supposed to do. I own and use two Logitech Harmony 880s and really like them.

I'm not a huge fan of the DTV remote either; when I use it in my office (the only room that has it) I always end up hitting the "Active" button, and I still don't know what exactly it is supposed to do. I own and use two Logitech Harmony 880s and really like them.

If you don't know what a certain button does, but you keep hitting it anyways, whose fault is that?

I don't have any problems with my remote. It is a basic kind of remote, it is easy to operate, my wife don't have any issues. So I think it is just plain

If you don't know what a certain button does, but you keep hitting it anyways, whose fault is that?

:) mine, of course! For some reason, my brain has trouble negotiating the Guide and List buttons. I use List way more and keep expecting it to be where Guide is. Sometimes, when I try to change the target at the last minute, I end up in-between the two, on Active.

The DIRECTV remotes are perhaps a little more powerful than most in terms of what they can do as universal remotes but the placement of the transport controls at the top was arguably braindead.

I'm not seeing pandering to the channel surfer as being the smart way to go in this day and age of DVRs (especially as painful as surfing is with DIRECTV). The transport control location (or having to assign "custom" buttons) is what makes the majority of the third party remotes poor alternatives as I see it.

I've had a Harmony 880 remote for four years. It controls everything in the home theater and was very easy to update when I changed TVs, receivers and other components.

If you don't like your remote, get a Logitech Harmony remote.

The only issue that I have with D's remote is that the "down arrow" and "Menu" buttons are close together and I sometimes press the Manu button at the same time as the 'down' arrow button.

I'm with Kemo......Harmony One, controls everything but my wife........haven't figured out the programming on that yet.....

The DirecTV remote isn't that bad, you will get used to it.

A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap ($7.00) Philips universal remote to replace a broken remote on my Philips DVD player and I noticed that in the list of compatible devices DirecTV was listed under DVRs. I programmed it and sure enough it works . Most functions operate fine with the exception of the four colored buttons and for some odd reason you have to press "subtitles" to get the play list, but for just watching, recording or playback it works great.

My point is I've found myself using that remote more than my DirecTV remote because I like the layout better and the buttons are bigger. You might want to consider finding an inexpensive universal remote that has a layout you like. You shouldn't have spend a lot, just make sure it's compatible with DirecTV.

After 12 years with Dish, it is different. I got used to it quick enough and just use my thumb. No problems.

S~

Things always have room for a bit of improvement, BUT its a remote and it in no way distracts from a great service; after all, its just a remote and it does its designed function well..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)