DirecTV Tees Up Live 4K Will Offer Live UHD Broadcast From ‘Amen Corner’ at 2016 Masters Tourney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/directv-tees-live-4k/403182
Following its initial VOD-focused foray into the world of 4K, DirecTV is gearing up to deliver live 4K broadcasts during next month’s Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.
and also

Taking a page from the Sterling Cooper advertising playbook — which says if you don't like what people are saying, change the conversation — AT&T announced Wednesday that its DirecTV platform will host the first live 4K broadcast of a sports event at April's Masters Tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.

The broadcast will be viewable by DirecTV customers subscribing to either the "Ultimate" or "Premier" tier, with an authorized 4K account. They'll also need the latest Genie HD DVR (model HR54) and a "DirecTV 4K ready" TV

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di...t-everyones-mind-it-4k-masters-cov/2016-03-09

So is DirecTV going to swap out my HR 44 for the 54 at no charge and in time for this broadcast? Seems only fair.
Think I'll give them a call right now .

make sure you have a directv ready tv, or get a 4k mini also

I'm glad to see 4k starting to happen, but AT&T needs to bring out a new genie (or equivalent box) with more tuners and 4k capable. I already run into problems with not having enough tuners for recording at my house. Getting rid of a H25 and replacing it with the 61K would make matters even worse than it already is.

With 4k TV's being crazy this year in terms of some support Dolby Vision & HDR10, others only support HDR10, etc... that all needs settled first before 4k has a chance of taking off.

Reactions: primetimeguy
Following its initial VOD-focused foray into the world of 4K, DirecTV is gearing up to deliver live 4K broadcasts during next month’s Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.
and also

Taking a page from the Sterling Cooper advertising playbook — which says if you don't like what people are saying, change the conversation — AT&T announced Wednesday that its DirecTV platform will host the first live 4K broadcast of a sports event at April's Masters Tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.

The broadcast will be viewable by DirecTV customers subscribing to either the "Ultimate" or "Premier" tier, with an authorized 4K account. They'll also need the latest Genie HD DVR (model HR54) and a "DirecTV 4K ready" TV

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di...t-everyones-mind-it-4k-masters-cov/2016-03-09
This comes as no surprise. There are 4 companies The Masters Tournament Committee and the Augusta National Golf Club permit to advertise...One of which is AT&T

and also

No surprise. All of this has been "rumored" for over a month.

Looks like there is more to it... a full time 4K Channel coming too...

Here is what I just got...

AT&T DIRECTV is launching the first-ever live 4K broadcast in the U.S., plus the first full-time 4K channel! With the industry’s best picture format, it’s the next best thing to being there. We’ve been delivering 4K VOD since November 2014, but will be the first U.S. video provider to offer live-broadcast 4K content next month starting with our coverage of the Masters’ Amen Corner on April 7.

Additionally, AT&T DIRECTV is the first and only provider to offer customers a full-time around-the-clock 4K channel that features the best in Ultra HD programming, from original series to travel shows and more! Customers will enjoy life-like clarity, richer colors and virtually four times the resolution of HD, along with theater-quality Dolby 7.1 sound. DIRECTV 4K will be included as part of our “ULTIMATE,” “PREMIER” and “Lo Maximo” programming packages.

Our recent work order and systemic enforcements were implemented to support this content launch, and we appreciate our field teams’ attention to following these procedures in order to properly outfit our customers with the hardware they need to enjoy our new Live 4K programming. Over the course of the next few weeks, we’ll also launch a number of other 4K-related system enhancements!

So is DirecTV going to swap out my HR 44 for the 54 at no charge and in time for this broadcast? Seems only fair.
Think I'll give them a call right now .
If there is nothing wrong with it, probably not.
And even if there were something amiss, you'll most likely get another 44...
The 54's will go to new customers first. As long as Directv( they did the same thing when they rolled out the 44) has 44's in their warehouses, they will use those up first.

The 54's will go to new customers first. As long as Directv( they did the same thing when they rolled out the 44) has 44's in their warehouses, they will use those up first.

But it's a requirement for live 4k to have a 54 not a 44 due to the additional tuners related for transponder bonding. I don't see them sending him another 44 if he requests a 54 for live 4k.

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Will they be installing a Reverse Band LNB if I ask for the C61K client to be added to my package? I bought & added an HR54 to my system a while back. The reason I ask is cuz I have an International Dish as well & heard the 5 LNB version is not ready yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As K9 mentioned, there is one big difference. I have everything I need for 4k sans the HR 54.
If their plan is to take care of new customers first and ignore a 20+ year customer that would be a bad decision.

I don't know if I like them forcing you to change your package for one 4K channel.

"you need to subscribe to either ULTIMATE or PREMIER™ TV package."

Welcome to AT&T. :)
That's sounds more like a Directv thing.

I didn't like being forced into paying RSN fees.
Or being forced in a low basepackage if I didn't.
Or being forced into paying a receiver fee on your first receiver.
Or being forced to paying a $15 Advanced receiver fee, even on a 1 room DVR system.

Only thing Att ever forced me to do , is never sign a 24 month agreement again, in favor of the next plan.
So Att actually forced me to do something I wanted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa8 and Mauiguy
No, if you qualify for 4K you will get an HR54

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Will they be installing a Reverse Band LNB if I ask for the C61K client to be added to my package? I bought & added an HR54 to my system a while back. The reason I ask is cuz I have an International Dish as well & heard the 5 LNB version is not ready yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, you probably won't get a reverse band LNB until it's actually required. And the 5LNB version of the reverse band LNB won't support the international dish anyway. Possibly this problem will be solved by moving the international channels to one of the other satellites but we don';t know for sure.

No, you probably won't get a reverse band LNB until it's actually required. And the 5LNB version of the reverse band LNB won't support the international dish anyway. Possibly this problem will be solved by moving the international channels to one of the other satellites but we don';t know for sure.

I have been asking the same thing as I have an international setup. No one seems to know how to integrate 95 with all 5 locations to include 4k. I did hear a solution is coming, but it seems to be at least 6 months off from it. I know one thing once that first reverse band channel lights up, I will be calling for an upgrade and I expect to get all of my programming.

Edited, I have the need for all orbital locations as I sub to Korea, Spanish, and English programming in HD.

I feel very lucky to have my reverse band LNB already especially considering they haven't been publicly released yet.

I can't wait to see them light those transponders up!

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)