Discontinued Receiver Swaps and 512 functionality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
With the 512 it is the same per month as a 510. The 512 has an extra tuner for recording an extra show or pip. That is all.

Actually, while the 512 is a dual tuner DVR, it is a ONE TV experience (like the 721), and, AFAIK, does NOT have PIP capability. Think of it as the 612 of the SD DVR's.

Actually, while the 512 is a dual tuner DVR, it is a ONE TV experience (like the 721), and, AFAIK, does NOT have PIP capability. Think of it as the 612 of the SD DVR's.
No. I have a 512 on an old SD TV. It has PIP because all it is is a 522 locked in Single Mode.

I have a 508 receiver,is that model going to be replaced by Dish because of the TIVO settlement???????????????? thanks

I have a 508 receiver,is that model going to be replaced by Dish because of the TIVO settlement???????????????? thanks

It will be replaced eventually but not because of the tivo settlement.The 508 is a mpeg2 receiver and dish is phasing out mpeg2 to mpeg4.You should still have a couple years give or take with a 508 though.

It will be replaced eventually but not because of the tivo settlement.The 508 is a mpeg2 receiver and dish is phasing out mpeg2 to mpeg4.
Congratulations, you are 3/4 right! Not because of the Tivo settlement. The 508 is indeed an mpeg2 receiver. But so is the 512 they're replacing them with, so it can't be because Dish is phasing out mpeg2. The correct answer is because Dish is trying to go 8PSK on Western Arc ASAP. This too gives them the ability to deliver more channels over the fixed bandwidth, but not as much as changing to mpeg-4 in the more distant future.

Congratulations, you are 3/4 right! Not because of the Tivo settlement. The 508 is indeed an mpeg2 receiver. But so is the 512 they're replacing them with, so it can't be because Dish is phasing out mpeg2. The correct answer is because Dish is trying to go 8PSK on Western Arc ASAP. This too gives them the ability to deliver more channels over the fixed bandwidth, but not as much as changing to mpeg-4 in the more distant future.

yea but its much easier to remember mpeg4 as opposed to 8psk..either way the 508 is still good for now :)

Also given the force dish is putting behind replacing these rcvrs it really won't be to long. I'm sure it will be soon :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using SatelliteGuys

Also given the force dish is putting behind replacing these rcvrs it really won't be to long. I'm sure it will be soon :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using SatelliteGuys

imo they will be around for at least a couple more years.There are still many in the field and they are still allowing customers to activate them.I'm gonna use my 501 till it won't work anymore lol..Solid receiver and no dvr fee!

What type of a separator? Can this be done indoors or does it require separate wiring from the outside switch or the satellite dish - meaning I would probably need new equipment since I just have wiring for one receiver as far as I know. I had a dual switch but last time they came out they took it and replaced it with a simple switch to make things simple or so they said.. Thanks...

Actually declaring it a single tuner does nothing to the price. If it was a 522 or 625 then the amt saved would be 7 dollars. And people can order a seperator to make work as a dual tuner. And have pip.

A separator is a device that looks like a splitter but isn't. It's it's own animal. Get from Dish. It allows two coax inputs from the dish to go into one coax input on the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts