Discs Giving 4K/UHD Delivery A Real Shot In The Arm

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Despite the attention given to streaming services as a delivery channel for 4K/Ultra HD content, physical media in the form of UHD came in to 2017 on a high note, with multiple new product introductions, additional titles and a boost from the increasing availability of HDR- and Dolby Atmos-enabled titles.

According to figures provided by the BDA, 2016 ended with 110 titles available and nearly 20 million software units sold in the U.S. An additional 250 Ultra HD Blu-ray titles are set to be released in 2017 from a list of studios that includes Sony, Warner, Fox, Lionsgate and Universal.

http://www.twice.com/news/blu-raydvd/discs-giving-4kuhd-delivery-real-shot-arm/64236

The phillips has been $225 awhile. The Xbox One S has been $299. The Samsung has been floating around $299-$275. Like I said, those are GREAT first year prices. Prob got another year for $150, but Im sure the current Philips will drop some when the new one comes out.

Long story short, they aren't unreasonable.

The new LG with Dolby Vision will be under $300.

I dont see where $250 first year is "unreasonable".

But many of these are the same folks that get their pitch forks when their DBS/cable bill goes up $6 per month. When folks are used to $100 BluRay players paying $299 for another player to play media that costs more isn't a no brainer, people will not jump on it until prices come down more.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
I cant agree with the direct comparison, but I get what you are saying. Any new tech starts out high, and comes down, where as my cable bill goes up every year and I really get nothing else out of it!

I paid $750+ for a first gen VHS way back when, I'm getting discs, then upgrading my receiver before getting a player...
Seems like buying the media now may not be the best idea. Perhaps it would be better to wait until they've figured out where they're going standards-wise so you don't end up with a bunch of discs that aren't quite right or being forced into a situation where you have to buy a unit that can handle the outdated discs. I don't imagine the discs will be any more expensive in the future and they may work better and support more recent innovations (i.e. DolbyVision and similar enhancements).

I can see you still dont even understand UHD and the standards, yet you continue to post like you do!

" where you have to buy a unit that can handle the outdated discs."

Yep. Strangely enough my HD-DVD discs continue to play just fine, and provide excellent quality. An added bonus was that I was able to buy many of the titles for $1/ea. after they became "obsolete".

I realize you would rather talk than listen Harshness, but madness lies along the path of waiting for things to be perfect. Companies know very well that once standards are stable, it is time to start rolling out the next best thing. That way 15% of the consumers go crazy and trade it all in on the new latest and greatest every year.

Yep. Strangely enough my HD-DVD discs continue to play just fine, and provide excellent quality.
You speak as if someone mastered a theatrical release HD-DVD in the last 9 years. To compare the situation between HD-DVD and UHD Blu-ray is silly. HD-DVD didn't push the HD envelope and there weren't any standards that were finding their way when even the earliest players were released.
I realize you would rather talk than listen Harshness, but madness lies along the path of waiting for things to be perfect.
If you don't plan on getting the player for a while, why load up on media? We've seen several anecdotes from Don Landis of discs that were mastered in some way that wasn't optimal. Such is not to say that they are necessarily going to remaster them, but why rush (unless you're fearful that the titles will disappear)?