Dish 21.0 Remote - multiple IR signals sent per button press (advanced)

ThomasTrain

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I've had my 722K receivers for some time now (formerly had 622, 941, 721, Dishplayer 7100 etc.). Anyway on to my problem... I noticed that the newer 21.0 remotes appear to send between two and four actions per button press on the remote. For example, if I fully depress "2", the remote will send the respective "2" command up to four times.

Ordinarily this isn't an issue, except I first noticed the issue after programming my remote to the TV. When I would press TV/Video to change outputs, a single press would equal two input changes on the TV. A minor annoyance. (note that this occurs on three separate TVs of different makes)

However, I have now setup a media center machine (XBMC Live) and am using the Dish remote as a media center remote (DVD Code 792 to mirror the Microsoft Media Center remote). In this mode the extra commands being sent are much more noticeable and annoying.

This is tested in any Ubuntu system by using the Microsoft Remote code for DVD of 792. Then with a RC6 compatible IR receiver on the computer running Ubuntu and LIRC, simply execute IRW.

Now press the buttons on the remote and you should notice the computer will register between two and four commands per button press on the remote.

I'm fairly certain this isn't just an isolated instance as I have multiple 21.0 remotes (2 IR only and 3 IR/UHF) as well as multiple computers that I've tested with. I also have older 6.2 and 6.3 Dish Remote that don't exhibit this problem (i.e.: they send a single IR command per button press).

My questions:
1) Has anyone else noticed this?
2) Has anyone found a fix?
3) Is there a command sequence I can enter on the remote to stop this activity (revert back to single command per button press)?

Yes, I have noticed this, and my dad and brother have noticed it as well.
For instance, sometime when I press a "1" on my remote I will be taken to channel "111" .
Same thing happens when I am changing the inputs on my TV as well. It will just skip around to random inputs.
I have to use my TV remote to get to the input I need.
Very annoying.

Sometimes the code is not exactly the same as the original remote for the equipment. it will work, but not as precisely.

Some of the codes in the 6.3 6.4 will not work the same as in the 20.0 21.0

If you have the original remote for the equipment, you can directly program each function in to the 21.0 remote thru the window on the side. It can be time consuming but works much more reliably

I can understand the code for the TV messing up sometimes, but why does this happen on the Dish Box itself?
The 21.0 UHF remotes my family have will put in more than one click per button press all the time.
And then to make it even worse, sometimes I can press the 30 second skip button up to 7 times before the picture moves even one time.
And don't get me started on the slower than ever menu screens on the 722k......arrrrgh.
I love my 622 and it's remotes, I have never had a days problem with them.

I can understand the code for the TV messing up sometimes, but why does this happen on the Dish Box itself?
The 21.0 UHF remotes my family have will put in more than one click per button press all the time.
And then to make it even worse, sometimes I can press the 30 second skip button up to 7 times before the picture moves even one time.
And don't get me started on the slower than ever menu screens on the 722k......arrrrgh.
I love my 622 and it's remotes, I have never had a days problem with them.
Yeah.. noticed .. hated ... and would love for there to be some sort of fix.. biggest problem for some in my family is the volume button .. even after trying to reprogram the remote with an original .. it still goes up 2 or 3 for the volume rather than 1 notch at a time... drives us all nutz when this one set is used because the difference of 5 to 8 on the volume is the difference between just a tad too low, and enough to make the sound heard down the hall, round the corner, and "mother" to hear Meg Ryan's "I'll have what she's having" moment in Harry Met Sally is embarrassing. (no I don't really live with mother, just making a point)

and for the slow menus.. if patience is a virtue, these f**king machines sure are testing us.. and its insane that sometimes.. just sometimes.. the menus are quick.. and responsive.. then other times, you press.. you're not sure it "heard" you ... etc. etc. etc..

Nope. I get the same thing on several brand spanking new remotes (I tried 4 at least). Repeats are wrong and there's no way to fix it that I know of. Learning might do it, but I haven't tried. The funny thing is Samsung which is usually sensitive to too many repeats if you use NECx2 protocol (which repeats more than plain old NEC1), but I have problems with Toshiba which should be using NEC1. That's a very common protocol used by literally thousands of different TV models. Maybe they inadvertently coded it to use NECx2 instead of NEC1??? I know most on this board don't get into the nitty gritty protocol details, but Dish's remote maker certainly should. Hopefully they'll see this post and it'll get the gears turning.

that's not good news that several others see the same problem but there is no fix.

Very interesting read on the debouncing issue though.

As an FYI, I just purchased a pair of Dish 20.1 and 21.1 remotes (aka rev 2 of the learning remotes) in the hopes they resolved this in this series and I can confirm that issue is FIXED with this new series.

I'm going to revive this thread, I am having the exact same issue but with the new 40.0 UHF 2G remote. It is extra noticeable when changing volume on the Onkyo, the volume goes up or down 4-5 extra notches and on XBMC it is nearly impossible to navigate the menus, one press and the cursor jumps a half dozen spots.

Before I upgraded to the hopper with the new remote I had a perfectly functioning 20.0 IR.

Short of just using the old remote, anyone have a fix or any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)