DISH Fails EAS Test? No Perhaps the EAS Test Fails DISH!

Well I am hearing from DISH the alert never went off on DISH because they never got the Emergency Alert Signal. Seems as though the entire EAS system uses relays and when one goes out the other systems down the line don't repeat the signal. That's why the EAS didn't go off on DISH.

You can read more about what happened at Emergency Alert System to Be Tested Across the Country's TVs and Radios - NYTimes.com

Actually thinking back DIRECTV kind of cheated a bit on their EAS broadcast, as they switched to a slate about 30 seconds before the actual EAS went off. If it worked like it was supposed to the alert was to kick in when the alert went off. So they kind of jumped the gun there a few moments early. In addition DIRECTV never seemed to have got the audio, instead they played Lady Gaga... so almost looks like they never got the audio feed as well.

Well I am hearing from DISH the alert never went off on DISH because they never got the Emergency Alert Signal. Seems as though the entire EAS system uses relays and when one goes out the other systems down the line don't repeat the signal. That's why the EAS didn't go off on DISH.

You can read more about what happened at Emergency Alert System to Be Tested Across the Country's TVs and Radios - NYTimes.com

Actually thinking back DIRECTV kind of cheated a bit on their EAS broadcast, as they switched to a slate about 30 seconds before the actual EAS went off. If it worked like it was supposed to the alert was to kick in when the alert went off. So they kind of jumped the gun there a few moments early. In addition DIRECTV never seemed to have got the audio, instead they played Lady Gaga... so almost looks like they never got the audio feed as well.
W/O the correct audio it was also a fail. Just got word from my former SBE local out of Seattle that the test was considered an outright failure. They recorded the audio of the test and it was awful. Not only was it distorted but it was locking up and freezing too. Causing it to sound like it was stuttering on the words. It was kinda funny to listen to. Title of the email was "Best Train wreck ever". Here is the audio from the test that was heard in many places on the W. Coast. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15067584/20111109%20NAT%20EAS%20AUDIO.mp3

Last edited:
W/O the correct audio it was also a fail. Just got word from my former SBE local out of Seattle that the test was considered an outright failure. They recorded the audio of the test and it was awful. Not only was it distorted but it was locking up and freezing too. Causing it to sound like it was stuttering on the words. It was kinda funny to listen to. Title of the email was "Best Train wreck ever". Here is the audio from the test that was heard in many places on the W. Coast. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15067584/20111109 NAT EAS AUDIO.mp3

This is only a TTTTTTTTTTTT. :D

During a tornado outbreak this past spring our saving grace was ota. Dish was gone as soon as the bad weather hit. Ota proved to be invaluable & all of the local news stations did an outstanding job with the live broadcasts and tracking the multiple tornadoes. Never had any warning other than the local stations interrupting regular programming. I talked to many afterwards that had no idea what had happened until the next day because they were watching something other than local programming. If there was an emergency broadcast urging people to tune into local stations there may have been a few more people still alive today.

Why wouldn't this include all NETWORKS, i.e. Comedy Central, Discovery, CNN, etc, too ? That would avoid any issues with the 'local' system (or in the case of satellite, nationwide).

Because a "network" is a program provider to an end distributor, not THE (FCC licensed) end distributor/broadcaster like a cable head-end, dish/direct or local broadcaster. And again, consider that these networks could be produced in somebody's basement hypothetically. They don't hold FCC licenses, they PRODUCE programming which is to be distributed by someone who IS. Plus, who wants comedy central with control of our well being and safety? You're talking about networks
that can't even do commercial insertion properly at multiple distribution points!

Had on NFLN on one TV, local NBC on the other, and neither had the EAS go off. Also, my weather radio is set to go off with an EAS activation, and it did not go off either. I think it was a system failure, not a provider failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts