Dish ID Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What would be a better alternative?
I see that your idea of a mount is different from mine. You're talking about mounting the feed horn and I was thinking of what it would take to mount the dish itself.

I'd use angle iron so as to not risk trapping moisture inside the tubing.

Thanks, it is the dish in the "Craigslist dishes for you to take a look at" section listed as a free 7.5 footer in the box on page 97. I could not believe how new it looked, and then after driving for five hours roundtrip to get it realized it was actually a 10 footer! Also nothing is ever available where I live, not even old ones in fields, So I was surprised when it popped up on Craigslist.

As far as the F/D ratio, I calculated it using a depth of 22 inches and Diameter of 120 inches to get
the Focal length of 40.9, then did 40.9/120=.34 ? Did I calculate it correctly?

As far as the legs bolting to the scalar, I was going to do a redesign, lengthen the legs, make a plate to hold a Titanium PLL lnb further up the body and have and adjustable lnb and scalar.
Is this overkill? I just like having adjustments available.

Well the calculations are correct. If the measurements are also correct you have a F/D ratio of 3.4 (deep dish). The only reason I questioned it is because it was packaged in a KTI carton (maybe repackaged). Skyvision has a lot of new old stock parts for Cband dishes, feed support legs, polar mounts etc. They may have something for you. Personally there is so much programing available on Cband, I couldn't pick one bird for a fixed dish.

http://www.skyvision.com/pages/parts1.html

As far as your idea of fabricating a mounting plate goes, its is an excellent idea if you are up to the task. My Paraclipse classic 12 has one of those. It uses three nylon jackscrews to adjust focal distance . In this way you can adjust your F/D ratio independently from your focal distance (as well as centering your focal point on the dish). That makes a big difference when tuning for week signals (and for Ku reception if you chose that option). If you are interested, I can PM you an illustration from my manual.

Well the calculations are correct. If the measurements are also correct you have a F/D ratio of 3.4 (deep dish). The only reason I questioned it is because it was packaged in a KTI carton (maybe repackaged). Skyvision has a lot of new old stock parts for Cband dishes, feed support legs, polar mounts etc. They may have something for you. Personally there is so much programing available on Cband, I couldn't pick one bird for a fixed dish.

http://www.skyvision.com/pages/parts1.html

As far as your idea of fabricating a mounting plate goes, its is an excellent idea if you are up to the task. My Paraclipse classic 12 has one of those. It uses three nylon jackscrews to adjust focal distance . In this way you can adjust your F/D ratio independently from your focal distance (as well as centering your focal point on the dish). That makes a big difference when tuning for week signals (and for Ku reception if you chose that option). If you are interested, I can PM you an illustration from my manual.

The KTI carton did throw me off. It is a Winegard Quadstar based on visual ID by other members and the serial numbers in the correct place.
I PM'ed you about the illustration.

While parts and pole fabrication plans get sorted out, Any excuse to break out the '51 Ferguson. Clearing out a good spot:
Stumps.jpg
Tractor.jpg

Next weekend a friend will bring an 18'' auger over for the hole. It is called a Dingo. It will rip out tree roots and fling them off to the side like nothing. Very powerful. Frost line here is 18'', usual depth for building footings is 24''. So the slab holding the 4 threaded rods for mounting will be 24'' deep and about 18'' around (picture of example posted previously). Soil is hard red clay. Will this be deep enough? The machine can dig to max depth of 3 or 4 feet in about 20 seconds, but that's a lot of concrete to mix.

Reactions: Titanium
Go a couple inches lower, and put a layer of gravel at the bottom of the hole, then pour or place the slab on TOP of it. That will allow any ground water to drain off, and not lift the slab.

I have made some progress since my last post.

Borrowed this on Sunday and I have my hole dug.

Dingo.jpg

It doesn't look like it but these are pretty massive.
jbolts.jpg

They are 18'' long by 3/4''. I will weld a cage of rebar to hold them in proper dimensions in concrete form. I also made the mistake of sending the following assembly out to the fabricators instead of doing it myself. It has been two weeks and have not heard a word yet.
I thought it would save some time, silly me.
BasePlate.jpg Supports.jpg Assembly.jpg List.jpg

I have been a Visio user but Open Office Draw is easier to use and its free. It automatically does the dimensional arrows too, a pretty neat program. If anyone wants the file of the drawing above I will gladly let you have a copy. That 1.5'' hole is for 1'' conduit to come up through the slab, yes I got a little fancy on the design. I sort of want to wait to get the assembly back before I assemble the jbolt/rebar assembly and pour the concrete just in case the fabricators are a little off on the dimensions given them in the drawing. It wont be fun wallowing out holes in 1/4'' steel plate if they are a little off.

Just received a shipment this afternoon. A fellow member has sent me the rest of the parts to get the project going! Thank you very much! Mount, support arms etc... Once I unpack them I will take a few pictures and post them.

Couldn't wait any longer to unpack...
When the "Inspector" finishes marveling at the amazing packing job, I will get
in closer and get some pictures.
The Inspector.jpg

He is done so here it is:
Mount.jpg

And support rods too:

Mount and Supports.jpg

Just wanted to give an update, especially for the member that sent me the polar mount, Thanks! (hope your dog is doing well)

Still no word from the fabricator (for the pole assembly in post 26). I'm off this week so after I post this I'm going down to his shop, get a completion date or go elsewhere. Been busy clearing land, getting sidetracked by putting up fencing on newly cleared land and acquiring parts.

Here are the parts I have so far:

Qarl-3624 (Gotcband.com), Vbox7 (Gotcband.com), Titanium C2WPLL, polar mount, lnb support arms.
As a reminder this post started with a brand new set of four panels for a 10 foot Winegard for free.
winegard.jpg

The wife got some time in on the welder and made this for me:

rebar.jpg

Its a rebar cage that also supports the J bolts, Thanks wife. (She can smelt lead and cast bullets too!)
Also thanks Titanium for offering to send me the Qarl hardware I misplaced.
The Actuator wiring still has to be purchased and installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason S
Still no word from the fabricator (for the pole assembly in post 26)...The wife got some time in on the welder and made this for me:
View attachment 103626 Its a rebar cage that also supports the J bolts, Thanks wife. (She can smelt lead and cast bullets too!)

It appears that you're really close to having it all together.

Your wife did a good job with the rebar cage, maybe you should hire her to build the pole assembly too?

Just got back from the fabricator. We had a good laugh. He lost the plans on his desk, found them about a month later, figured I did not need it anymore since I did not call and check.
The assembly will be ready to pick up on Friday!
This gets the wife off the hook as she wont have to build it.

Just wanted to give an update, especially for the member that sent me the polar mount, Thanks! (hope your dog is doing well)
Yeah, she's doing great: back to her old, trackin' fool, self. Let's hope she doesn't tangle with any more diamondbacks.

The wife got some time in on the welder and made this for me:

Its a rebar cage that also supports the J bolts, Thanks wife. (She can smelt lead and cast bullets too!)
Your Mrs. did a nice job on that re-cage. Smelt and cast? ...mine only shoots.

Yeah, she's doing great: back to her old, trackin' fool, self. Let's hope she doesn't tangle with any more diamondbacks.

Your Mrs. did a nice job on that re-cage. Smelt and cast? ...mine only shoots.

She was good at candle making before she met me. I guess that skill transferred very well over to casting. She saw the half-ass ingots I was pouring one day and took over immediately. She made the prettiest ingots the first time out and ever since then the job was hers. Same with welding, she picked it up right away. Oh yea she shoots too. Everytime a buy a new gun, I have to buy two, one for me and one for her. Gotta get her to cast some bullets here soon. She doesn't reload, that's my job.

Glad the hound is doing well, hope she got some good stuff at Petsmart.

She was good at candle making before she met me. I guess that skill transferred very well over to casting. She saw the half-ass ingots I was pouring one day and took over immediately. She made the prettiest ingots the first time out and ever since then the job was hers. Same with welding, she picked it up right away. Oh yea she shoots too. Everytime a buy a new gun, I have to buy two, one for me and one for her. Gotta get her to cast some bullets here soon. She doesn't reload, that's my job.

Glad the hound is doing well, hope she got some good stuff at Petsmart.

The "girls" made out like bandits at Petsmart. Thanks.

Reactions: fred555
I don't believe it 6 months or more later I have the pole back from the fabricators and she's a beauty!
Check out the nice welds. It was only $75 too. I can't buy the drill bit to drill the one inch holes for that price.
Spring is here, time to get the dish up finally.

IMG_20150318_155650489.jpg IMG_20150318_155701864.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)