Dish Installation & Hopper Questions...

Zeigh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Hello,

I upgraded the communication wiring in my home with original plans to install DirectTV (single cable to dish technology). Now I am looking to the Dish Network instead. Here are some questions that I can't seem to find the answer to so far:

- How many RG6 cables are required to connect one satellite dish (Dish Network) to one Hopper? How about if I also added one Joey?
- How many TV's watching different channels can one Hopper support directly (without a Joey)?

Also, does anyone have an installation schematic for a simple Dish Network configuration? All the ones I have found so far include the maximum amount of TV's and accessories.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Hello,

I upgraded the communication wiring in my home with original plans to install DirectTV (single cable to dish technology). Now I am looking to the Dish Network instead. Here are some questions that I can't seem to find the answer to so far:

- How many RG6 cables are required to connect one satellite dish (Dish Network) to one Hopper? How about if I also added one Joey?
- How many TV's can one Hopper support directly (without a Joey)?

Also, does anyone have an installation schematic for a simple Dish Network configuration? All the ones I have found so far include the maximum amount of TV's and accessories.

?Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.? (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

1-RG6 cable from dish to each hopper
1-RG6 cable from dish to each joey
Hopper only supports 1 tv without joeys, it can support up to 3 joeys but the 3rd joey is mirrored(meaning it shares a tuner with another joey if all 3 are being used at the same time).

These are just the things I know, I'll wait for someone to chime in with the exact wiring instructions(switches,nodes on dish,etc)

Good Luck and let us know if you need anything!

If you get a good tech, explain your concerns before he starts and and give him a hand during the install just to make sure everything is up to your expectations. When the tech is at my home I chase him around just to make sure everything is done correctly the first time.

Last edited:
1-RG6 cable from dish to each hopper
1-RG6 cable from dish to each joey
Hopper only supports 1 tv without joeys, it can support up to 3 joeys but the 3rd joey is mirrored(meaning it shares a tuner with another joey if all 3 are being used at the same time).

These are just the things I know, I'll wait for someone to chime in with the exact wiring instructions(switches,nodes on dish,etc)

Good Luck and let us know if you need anything!

If you get a good tech, explain your concerns before he starts and and give him a hand during the install just to make sure everything is up to your expectations. When the tech is at my home I chase him around just to make sure everything is done correctly the first time.

Actually, with 1 Hopper it's 2 coax from sat/switch to node and 1 coax from node to Hopper, another coax from node to all Joeys.
With 2 Hoppers, it's 3 coax from sat/switch to node, 1 coax from node for each Hopper and 1 coax from node to all Joeys.

Actually, with 1 Hopper it's 2 coax from sat/switch to node and 1 coax from node to Hopper, another coax from node to all Joeys.
With 2 Hoppers, it's 3 coax from sat/switch to node, 1 coax from node for each Hopper and 1 coax from node to all Joeys.

I know but I was referring mainly to the number of cables that actually go into the receiver. All of those connections happen outside of the house on the way to the dish.

I know but I was referring mainly to the number of cables that actually go into the receiver. All of those connections happen outside of the house on the way to the dish.

From the node you only need one cable to the hopper if for whatever reason we would need a second in that area for a nearby joey or for internet a rap would be used

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

This man grays has it right! Refer to his post for your cable considerations. grays post is not ambiguous, either.

OK, I forgot, which cable run is supposed to be 3Ghz cable? Anyone can answer.

This man grays has it right! Refer to his post for your cable considerations. grays post is not ambiguous, either.

OK, I forgot, which cable run is supposed to be 3Ghz cable? Anyone can answer.

Between Hopper and Node.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Ok so I was a tech at dish. for a single hopper all you need is two lines comming from the dish. they both install in a solo node. from their you will need a tap. this is the basic set-up one hopper with two joeys. from the tap you will need a 2 way splitter to run the joeys. This set-up is for a dish that is a DPP. I hope this helps. if you have any questions I also have the training guide to show you how the set-up works.

Ok so I was a tech at dish. for a single hopper all you need is two lines comming from the dish. they both install in a solo node. from their you will need a tap. this is the basic set-up one hopper with two joeys. from the tap you will need a 2 way splitter to run the joeys. This set-up is for a dish that is a DPP. I hope this helps. if you have any questions I also have the training guide to show you how the set-up works.

Can you send me a training guide for four Hoppers and one Joey and all can see each other from the source drop down menu and also looking at four satellites (1000+ Dish)

1 Hopper 2 joey set-up.

I was a tech at dish. The schematics for a dish pro plus is first you need to only use 3 gig cables or vextra cable that is what dish uses. Never use RG59 cable on a hopper system, it will work for awhile but then it completly stops working seen it happen first hand. You will need to run two cables from the LNB from port 1 and port 2 of the LNB. you run both cables from the dish to the Solo Node. You can install the hopper multiple ways, but the best way is to run two lines to the node in the sat. in feed then from their you use the main line not the client line. you then only need a Tap and a 2 way splitter. The tap is used from the node to the hopper. The other part of the tap is called then Client which is what you use to hook up the Joeys. from the tap you would hook up a 2-way splitter to hook the joeys up. Now the thing to remember is that the hopper needs to be hooked up first and complety downloaded before you hook up the joeys. I tell people the best way to understand the hopper system is think of the hopper as a computer server and the joeys are the clients communicating with the hopper. I hope I was ablee to help. I have schematics which Dish gave me that explains everything to you. I hope that helps.

I was a tech at dish. The schematics for a dish pro plus is first you need to only use 3 gig cables or vextra cable that is what dish uses. Never use RG59 cable on a hopper system, it will work for awhile but then it completly stops working seen it happen first hand. You will need to run two cables from the LNB from port 1 and port 2 of the LNB. you run both cables from the dish to the Solo Node. You can install the hopper multiple ways, but the best way is to run two lines to the node in the sat. in feed then from their you use the main line not the client line. you then only need a Tap and a 2 way splitter. The tap is used from the node to the hopper. The other part of the tap is called then Client which is what you use to hook up the Joeys. from the tap you would hook up a 2-way splitter to hook the joeys up. Now the thing to remember is that the hopper needs to be hooked up first and complety downloaded before you hook up the joeys. I tell people the best way to understand the hopper system is think of the hopper as a computer server and the joeys are the clients communicating with the hopper. I hope I was ablee to help. I have schematics which Dish gave me that explains everything to you. I hope that helps.

I use RG6 cable rated 3 gig everywhere. No RG59 cable, not even to TVs that do not have a STB. Yes, can you please attach your Hopper/Joey system schematics to your next post? Thanks for all your help.

Picture 2.jpg

4 hoppers requires two dishes

If you are hooking up 4 hoppers you would need 2 separate dishes or a switch. I would install 2 dishes because our switchs seems to have a lot of issues. They dont have a schematic for the 4 hopper system but I can look to see if I can find one with a switch and upload it for you send me your email.

No problem I have to find my book I think they gave me a schematic for more than two hoppers. If I find it I will send it to you

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you are hooking up 4 hoppers you would need 2 separate dishes or a switch. I would install 2 dishes because our switchs seems to have a lot of issues. They dont have a schematic for the 4 hopper system but I can look to see if I can find one with a switch and upload it for you send me your email.

That's ok, I have seen them before unless you have real recent schematics. Here is my Dish Home wiring diagram. All Hoppers and Joey can see each other.

HopperDiagram-PriJPEG.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)