DISH Launches dishNET Broadband

And what's in the fine print of the 10GB package is that 5GB of that is 'anytime' usage and the other 5GB is 'bonus bytes' which you can only use from 2AM to 8AM. The other packages are half and half as well. Ouch!

Holy sweet F$&K. Are you serious? So it's REALLY a 5GB cap (not 10GB) during normal daylight hours, and the off-peak hours that other satellite internet companies allow unlimited downloading IS ALSO CAPPED at 5GB. Well, that's the worst thing I've ever heard. And they advertise it for streaming video.

Holy sweet F$&K. Are you serious? So it's REALLY a 5GB cap (not 10GB) during normal daylight hours, and the off-peak hours that other satellite internet companies allow unlimited downloading IS ALSO CAPPED at 5GB. Well, that's the worst thing I've ever heard. And they advertise it for streaming video.

Unbelievable, isn't it.

BTW, HughesNet is doing the same thing with the new system, except that their cheapest plan is 10GB anytime and 10GB nighttime for a total of 20, but it's more money. The only one with unlimited over night now is Exede direct.

It's hughsnet we have 5 guys going down to the training center today to learn how to install it its just like the new wildblue just a different name

dishNET is both Hughesnet and Exede. They both have the same dish now and all the equipment will now be branded as dishNET. Installers will either put in a Hughsnet or Exede modem depending on the location or spotbeam availability.

I don't understand the below part of the release. Does this mean that if i live in iowa I can get internet thru dish over a wired connection?
----------------------
"In addition to satellite Internet service, DISH's own competitive local exchange carrier will also fold its wireline broadband service into the dishNET brand. Urban and suburban residents living in a 14-state region and access high-speed Internet with 7 Mbps starts at $29.95 per month. Upgrade to 12 Mbps service for an additional $5 per month or 20 Mbps for an additional $10 per month. This service is available in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming"

Hughesnet (direcway), internet with the brakes on and with Dishnetwork fees and restrictions. I'm very lucky the phone co extended DSL to my area, which is really DSL lite (1mb down) without a cap, so far anyway. Was looking at Verizon's Home Fusion setup, seems to be averaging 12-14mb down in most areas, but it also has a 10gb cap, and is 60bucks a month with 99dollar installation thru Oct12. Speed would be nice but a 2yr contract and low cap makes it less appealing to me.

Scherrman said:
dishNET is both Hughesnet and Exede. They both have the same dish now and all the equipment will now be branded as dishNET. Installers will either put in a Hughsnet or Exede modem depending on the location or spotbeam availability.

Actually dishNet is hughesnet says so on all the trias totally different looking than the excede trias the new trias are about the size of a big Mac and the dishNet dish is about the size of a .4 dish when we install its going to be rather excede dish or dishNet dish 2 different sats to point at excede is viasat and hughesnet is now dishNet

Actually dishNet is hughesnet says so on all the trias totally different looking than the excede trias the new trias are about the size of a big Mac and the dishNet dish is about the size of a .4 dish when we install its going to be rather excede dish or dishNet dish 2 different sats to point at excede is viasat and hughesnet is now dishNet

I just went to the training recently for installing this service, and we were told that DishNET was going to be both Hughesnet and Exede. At first, the DishNET dishes that Dish provides will mainly be for Hughesnet installs, but once we go through our current Exede inventory, it will all be the same dish outside whether it's using Hughesnet or Exede. The only difference will be the tria on the dish, and the modem used inside, but everything will be branded DishNET. We were also told that Exede will be changing their packages to match the DishNET packages that are currently being offered through Hughesnet. Basically, once this is fully up and running, most customers will think everything is through Dish Network, and most won't know or care whether they're receiving Hughesnet or Exede.

The limits are beyond dumb - 10 and 20MB packages??? I burn thru that in less than a few days let alone a month and I'm not really a heavy user. I really think they should double those limits.

With the way it sounds you would almost think there was a merger. It's a wonder Dish Network and Directv don't do something similar to this.

I got slammed a few years back for saying how bad the data caps were and the horrible speeds. Everybody seemed to have been praising satellite broadband on here but in person a lot of people complained including myself. I see more people complaining about it now. As time goes on, the importance of higher caps will be much greater. The speeds have went way up and the data caps need to go up a bit as well. 25-50 GB anytime data would probably make a lot more people happy that do some video.

I have to say that with these new satellites the data caps have improved some and the speed has improved a bunch. One is better off with less speed if you can get a high or no data cap. If the speed drops below 1 or 2 MB such as some areas with poor DSL service then satellite may be a good option. Kind of hard to enjoy that speed when you will blow through a data cap quick though if you do a lot of downloading or video streaming.

I see a lot of statements on how 10GB, 20GB packages just don't make any sense because it wouldn't support heavy users.

First you have to understand these are download limits not bandwidth limits like air-cards. I am a heavy Internet user because I support several web sites. For 5 years I used a Hughesnet System with a 420 MB rolling download limit in a 24 hours period. Uploads didn't count. There was free zones from 2-7 AM. That is when you download updates and other big files. Hughesnet was capable of up to13 GB download a month and that was enough for my heavy Internet usage. Until Millenicom came out with a 20 GB air-card plan, I stayed with Hughesnet that was slow but faster than dial-up.

Satellite Internet is faster then dial-up and that is what is important for a great big chunk of this country where there isn't even DSL.

It appears that the complaint of the data caps is for those who want to use the Internet for an alternative to satellite or cable TV for video delivery. That is a luxury that again, a big chunk of the country (not population) doesn't have access to.

So while this satellite service may not fit you, it is an ignorant statement to say the new service is dumb.

I think satellite Internet is just fine until you start trying to stream video and hit those low (for video) caps. Speaking for the majority of us in this thread ;), it's dumb because of the bundling with Dish TV. This looks like a disaster just waiting to happen. With one or more Dish receivers online, it's extremely easy to download free stuff and hit those caps. Do you get slapped with an enormous bill? Does your satellite internet get throttled? Does it quit working altogether until the following month? Just what exactly happens when you hit the cap? I see "throttling" as the only saving grace for Dish TV customers who bundle with DishNet.

it's dumb because of the bundling with Dish TV
From a different view, bundling makes sense because with satellite Internet, you need satellite TV (assuming the geographic situation) tto get your video content reasonably.

As for blowing caps away because of Dish, my VIP722/VIP612 and and now my Hopper is online with my 20 GB/month air-card and I haven't tilted yet.

As for satellite Internet what happens when you hit the cap, the usually effect is throttling for 24 hours that made dial-up faster. My last year with Hughesnet, they came out with a token plan for times you exceed the 24 hour bandwidth window. The first token was free and more were available for purchase.

A lot of speculation going on by people who don't knoe.

As for blowing caps away because of Dish, my VIP722/VIP612 and and now my Hopper is online with my 20 GB/month air-card and I haven't tilted yet.

I think you know what's up and download hardly anything. Anyhow, the level of technical expertise around here is mountains above the average Joe who just wants to watch TV.

Have to agree with you; I'm definitely speculating and have never used wireless Internet of any kind. No, that's wrong. My Android DUMB phone ran up a metered data bill of $30 in one month just updating itself over 3G, rather than doing it for free over my wifi connection. :rant: And here I thought I had no data plan at all! (T-mobile added it surreptitiously.) I can just imagine what my bill would have been had I actually attempted to watch any video during that month.

I thought it was required that the phone companies tell you if you was about to go over on your bandwidth instead of a surprise bill.

I think Dish Network could have a good thing going if they raised your caps based upon what package you have. For example, any package would get you the 10 GB plan, Top 250 get you 12 GB, another 2 GB per movie package you have and so on. Or AEP giving you a special 5 GB bonus. I think that would not only help get more customers to upgrade their tv packages but also help with churn. Perhaps for every customer you add they could give you another GB per life as long as the customer stays on or give you extra tokens or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)