Dish Mover connected my Joey via WiFi & reception sucks! Help!

bjwilsonesq

Original poster
May 29, 2008
We moved recently and brought our Dish service (1 Hopper / 1 Joey) with us. I had to work the day of the installation so I was not home when it happened, and for some reason the installer was not able to cable the Joey to the Hopper so he connected them over WiFi. The signal and delay are horrible on the Joey. I can't watch HD channels at all, and even SD channels have some dropout. I want to have an installer come back out and see if there are any options to run cable between the Hopper/Joey but reps don't understand the technical issues with installation so they are completely helpless. I can't sit through another phone call, and I tried emailing but got no response. Any advice how to get through to someone who will understand my issue and give me some realistic options? If I can't fix this there is no point to paying for the Joey. Help!

Brandon

Yup, contact DIRT. I had issues back when I had my initial install and dealing with the installers was frustrating, DIRT got it resolved.

We moved recently and brought our Dish service (1 Hopper / 1 Joey) with us. I had to work the day of the installation so I was not home when it happened, and for some reason the installer was not able to cable the Joey to the Hopper so he connected them over WiFi. The signal and delay are horrible on the Joey. I can't watch HD channels at all, and even SD channels have some dropout. I want to have an installer come back out and see if there are any options to run cable between the Hopper/Joey but reps don't understand the technical issues with installation so they are completely helpless. I can't sit through another phone call, and I tried emailing but got no response. Any advice how to get through to someone who will understand my issue and give me some realistic options? If I can't fix this there is no point to paying for the Joey. Help!

Brandon

I did this setup for a friend so she can watch outside....I was over watching football last weekend, I was blown away how good pause FF rewind channel changing was.... So something must be wrong.....I would due this setup in a heartbeat for the $25 adapter! She thinks Im a genies...LOL fooled her!!

The only real fail stories(outside the one the dish R&D team told), was related to the router. Cheaper, older routers just didn't have the ability to use it at its maximum potential. Once upgraded routers, streamed like a dream.
I'm not saying this is the only thing that could cause you issues, but is the only one I have seen feedback on.

Reactions: Tampa8
Contact dirt for a trouble call. Send them a pm.

He should have been home for the install if he was concerned...setting up a Trouble call will only punish the tech for something they couldn't do. Ran into this so many times as a tech that it really makes you wanna bash your head in the wall.

My question to the Op is, is there a way to get a cable from the joey's location to the node or to the hopper line at any point at all which would be simple enough to avoid major damage? This isn't the Tech's fault and he apparently did the best he could. You call and set up a trouble call to have a return visit in 12 days you will not only cost the tech his money he made on that job but most likely a fraction of pay on every other job for the next month or more. People don't realize the things that costs a tech when there are things way out side of their control.

If I couldn't get a cable to a room without major damage I would just look at the home owner and say they should tell me how they feel it can get there cause you can't read minds. The home owner wasn't present so "Brandon" why is it that you felt like you could have a tech show up and read your mind? Who was present and why didn't you give really good instructions and a contact number just in case?

Don't punish the tech cause you couldn't schedule the install day for a day you were off work.

As bad as it may sound, unfortunately the tech set up an unsupported method, so whether it dings him or not, and whether was home or not, is not the issue. Should have known better then installing a non approved method per dish.

The home owner wasn't present so "Brandon" why is it that you felt like you could have a tech show up and read your mind? Who was present and why didn't you give really good instructions and a contact number just in case?

Don't punish the tech cause you couldn't schedule the install day for a day you were off work.

Hi DVRexpander, thanks for the response. I appreciate your perspective but I think you are being overly harsh. First off, I have been a satellite customer for around 15 years and had multiple installs from DirecTV and Dish, and cabling to the TVs was always included with installation. This includes this same exact equipment when it was installed at our old house. I had no idea that wireless was even an install option, and nothing from Dish warned me in advance that I would need to decide between wired/wireless. You also may not have recent experience with moving, but there are about a dozen things that require installation appointments (internet/phone, appliances, electrician, plumber, furniture delivery, etc.) and not all of them can come on the same day. I did take several days off work to be there for several service providers but my wife was the one to be home for the Dish install. I understand your sympathies being with the installer, but every now and then try to put yourself in the position of the customer and develop some empathy for a change. Not everything in life is completely one-sided. Also, I have waited two months since the install and we have tried to live with the wireless connection - we don't use that TV all the time, so maybe we could live with it - but after a couple of frustrating experiences recently we decided enough was enough. Months have gone by, not weeks. But Dish has not been able to help me - over the phone or via email - so I came here for help.

My only point with it all, is techs never want to blame techs, understandably, but if the tech does do something unauthorized, is that not a risk he is taking, to be hit by it?

Agreed. How long have techs been told not to install with a WiFi adapter? Since the beginning (once that functionality was known to the public) The tech deserves a trouble call. If he couldn't run cable to that room, he should have offered a wireless Joey upgrade and done it the right way.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If it's not working you should not have to jump through hoops to have dish come back & fix it.

If your out of contract call to cancel & be specific as to why. I bet they'll jump though hoops to fix it.

If it's not working, it's not working.

Call Dish and have them send out another tech.

As far as the tech not being able to run a wire... Bull$hit

I have been doing this for 17 years. You can almost always run a new wire. Your technician just didn't want to run the wire

Reactions: ChadT41
I agree whole heartedly. Even if you want to do it absolutely poorly, at a minimum, can drill a small hole in a wall and feed it through. This is not recommended if can be avoided, but households like my parents, it is recommended and encouraged by them. The hole can't even be seen behind any of the crap they have in either room.

If it is an issue where the cable run is simply too difficult to get from the Hopper to the Joey, you could contact an electrician to see what they would charge to fish a cable for you. I recently did a Dish Mover in my new 2 story house and, before I even scheduled the Dish appointment, I had an electrician fish all the cables through the walls to avoid any potential problems with the install. I have no idea how the Dish technician would have completed the install if I hadn't done that.

You would need a certain splitter rated for specific frequencies to split out to the Joey. Technician should have made sure of good functionality on the Joey before leaving. Hardwired is always better than wireless. Technician could have given the option to go right through the wall with the wire.

If it is an issue where the cable run is simply too difficult to get from the Hopper to the Joey, you could contact an electrician to see what they would charge to fish a cable for you. I recently did a Dish Mover in my new 2 story house and, before I even scheduled the Dish appointment, I had an electrician fish all the cables through the walls to avoid any potential problems with the install. I have no idea how the Dish technician would have completed the install if I hadn't done that.

You can always wrap the house in cable :(

Anything can be wired by a technician. The question is how much time is a technician willing to spend on a job vs how much he is getting paid.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi DVRexpander, thanks for the response. I appreciate your perspective but I think you are being overly harsh. First off, I have been a satellite customer for around 15 years and had multiple installs from DirecTV and Dish, and cabling to the TVs was always included with installation. This includes this same exact equipment when it was installed at our old house. I had no idea that wireless was even an install option, and nothing from Dish warned me in advance that I would need to decide between wired/wireless. You also may not have recent experience with moving, but there are about a dozen things that require installation appointments (internet/phone, appliances, electrician, plumber, furniture delivery, etc.) and not all of them can come on the same day. I did take several days off work to be there for several service providers but my wife was the one to be home for the Dish install. I understand your sympathies being with the installer, but every now and then try to put yourself in the position of the customer and develop some empathy for a change. Not everything in life is completely one-sided. Also, I have waited two months since the install and we have tried to live with the wireless connection - we don't use that TV all the time, so maybe we could live with it - but after a couple of frustrating experiences recently we decided enough was enough. Months have gone by, not weeks. But Dish has not been able to help me - over the phone or via email - so I came here for help.

Well its good you've tried to give it a shot and I too am a Dish customer of over 14 years but you've never been a tech so you have no idea.

However, since it has been over a month you need to go ahead and get someone out there and YOU be there for them to explain what is going on and get it fixed. Do keep in mind that you have to have a plan for a cable to get to that TV and not expect the tech to work miracles.

not blaming the tech in particular..............but it is like everything else that you have to have hired to do...............they always take short cuts
people call me too picky............but if I want something done............I want it done correctly. That is why I do everything I can myself...............not because of the $$, but because you have to watch everyone like a hawk to get it done correctly

When ever I have a repairman or a dish tech come out ,( and that has been years now on the DISH tech), I stay with them at every step ,talking to them and asking what they are doing.I also offer them a drink a towel or anything else I can do to help with the job. I then make sure every thing works before they leave and if it stops working, how long can I call and get if fixed under the original repair job. People are less apt to screw you over if you stay with them and establish a bit of a relationship with them and treat them like a friend and you also act like you know something about what they are doing. I also wouldn't hesitate to call DISH and tell them that I wanted this install fixed and what can I get credit wise to pay for it or to compensate me for the lost time ,waiting for the repair job to fix the problem.

I just don't see this as the fault of the OP - that it is his problem, it is the problem of the installer/DISH to get it working correctly. If it should not have been installed that way even more so, the expert is the installer, not the homeowner or the homeowner being home or not.

Chad hit perfectly about the router very possibly causing the problem in a wireless set-up. My old one worked great but impeded my Slingbox using a powerline adapter, once I did some research and got a new router the streaming improved 1000%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)