Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

I'm new on here, apologize for this being lengthy,but can't believe how timely this thread is for my husband and me. Yes, I'm the wife and I do all the electronics in our house! And I'm challenged in that area :(

I have a couple of ?'s:

Is there any way to determine absolutely whether or not this new remote will control a particular piece of equipment short of buying it and learning the hard way that it won't? We have just purchased a Samsung LN52A650 lcd, a Samsung BD1500 b-r AND (the big ?) a Sony HT-C100 Sound Bar. I couldn't believe that none of the codes for Sony would control this simple sound system (although it is relatively new, just out this spring).

We currently have a VIP622 with a 6.3 remote. The 6.3 was sent out to replace a 5.? with the assumption by Dish that that would solve our problem. When it arrived, I called for help (there were 3 or 4 different chips included) and 3 different techs had me change the chips, change the switch inside, try different codes, do a power scan, all to no avail. I have a brand new, un-opened Harmony One remote that I ordered just for this reason and have been waiting to use it until Dish arrives next week (was supposed to be today but they messed up and didn't have enough 722's on their truck to make our appt.) Since we're upgrading to the 722, will the remote that comes with it have more codes than the 622's remote? We're only using the one tv with this receiver.

I don't know what route to take now that I've discovered this 21.0 remote. In all my many calls (within the last 2-3 wks.) to Dish, trying to get the amp controlled by the 6.3, not once did anyone mention the 21.0 remote. I can return the harmony and save $200. That's not really the issue though. We (ESPECIALLY my husband!) just want to use ONE remote.

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated.

Lisa
Lisa, purchase the 21.0. For a $25 investment the chances of you being able to return the Harmony are excellent. I just purchased a new Panasonic B-R DVD and upgraded my 50" 720p Panasonic to a 1080p Panasonic and the 21.0 had no problem. For many, many years I've owned a MX-500, which is old but an excellent learning remote for multiple electronics. I can now control everything from the 21.0. It is so nice to be able to control everything with one remote.

I guess I'm an oddity here, from reading one post. I prefer to have the sound when watching TV always coming from my Receiver and never from the TV's speakers.

When is the new Search button supposed to be active? If I'm watching TV and press this new button nothing happens.

I just received my new remote today and I'm following the instructions to get into recording mode, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have already programmed the remote to my TV, DVD player, and amplifier. I am now pressing and releasing the Recall button on the remote, then holding record, but nothing ever happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
I had that problem after I had programmed my Aux button for my Denon receiver when I tried to return and re-do the learning and add a few new learned commands. On the Denon, after punching in the code the Recall button would turn the Denon receiver off. I could never get back into learning mode again until I re-set the Aux button from scratch with the code. I don't know if this will help you or not and I only had this problem with the Aux button.

Yep - only used sysinfo button on the front panel.

Update: I rebooted the 622 - remote now works fine.

Last edited:
I don't think that the search button is activated yet, just like the 4 colored buttons in the middle of the 21.0
Dan

The "Search" button is active on the 211k, however it does the same thing as the "#" button so it's nothing to get excited about. I would much rather they would have made it a CC toggle, as the "#" works fine for search.

Thanks, Bob!

Lisa, purchase the 21.0. For a $25 investment the chances of you being able to return the Harmony are excellent. I just purchased a new Panasonic B-R DVD and upgraded my 50" 720p Panasonic to a 1080p Panasonic and the 21.0 had no problem. For many, many years I've owned a MX-500, which is old but an excellent learning remote for multiple electronics. I can now control everything from the 21.0. It is so nice to be able to control everything with one remote.

I guess I'm an oddity here, from reading one post. I prefer to have the sound when watching TV always coming from my Receiver and never from the TV's speakers.

The fact that neither the 5.x nor the 6.x remotes will control the HT-C100 Sony Sound bar has me concerned that possibly this new one won't either. But your point about $25 vs $200 is a good one.

And we don't use our tv's sound either. Why bother?

The fact that neither the 5.x nor the 6.x remotes will control the HT-C100 Sony Sound bar has me concerned that possibly this new one won't either. But your point about $25 vs $200 is a good one.

Lisa-IF the Sony sound bar uses an IR remote the new 21.0 remote can control it. If it doesn't have the code loaded in it (and I'd GUESS it doesn't) it can "learn" the commands from the Sony remote. It's a "learning" remote--it can learn from any infrared remote.

Ed

I ordered one of the 21.0 remotes and it works the HT-C100 Sony Sound bar I got for Christmas. I had to program the function keys to work on the colored keys in the middle of the remote. The power and volume keys work automatically. I used code 766. I had been using a Harmony remote until one of the main keys stopped working. The 21.0 remote is a much better deal for the money.

Received my remote yesterday. Solved by problem with my Akai TV in the master bedroom. Great remote for a low price.:up

I am trying to use my 21.0 remotes to work TV1 and TV2 on my 722. TV 1 works fine using UHF. I can't program TV2. I got the remote to learn both TV's fine but not the receiver. Any thoughts?

I am trying to use my 21.0 remotes to work TV1 and TV2 on my 722. TV 1 works fine using UHF. I can't program TV2. I got the remote to learn both TV's fine but not the receiver. Any thoughts?

I'm guessing you need to change the remote address for TV2. Its in your manual. Also need to have the plastic "chip" showing "2" on the remote.

Ed

I Ordered two of these 21.0's and got them yesterday. I was initially overjoyed Finally a remote that I was able to program to operate my 42" Olevia HD (TV-1) and 22" Advent (TV-2).

Then the fun began in trying to Sync both of them to work with the 722 receiver

Before getting these new remotes I had been using my old TV remotes to operate the TV's. and I was running both of the original Dish remotes that came with the 922 in UHF mode because my receiver is installed in an enclosed cabinet without openings for using I/R. The TV-1 remote was set to band-A UHF Pro channel 1 and the TV-2 remote was set to band-B UHF Pro channel 2 and they both operated everything fine and were controlling their sides of the receiver.

In trying to sync these 2 new 21.0 remotes for a while I had both of them working but my TV-2 upstairs was only viewing what was on TV-1. The shared view being enabled the other new remote only controlled the TV-1 side of the box. Now the setup shows both remotes now sync'd to the same channel-2. however one is Band-A and the other shows Band-B.

So far I've been unable to set the 922 receiver to be able to duplicate the setup that had in place and working before I attempted to sync these new 21,0 remotes. Every attempt now to change and Re-sync either new remote gives me this error message "You Cannot Set Two Remotes To The Same Channel".

To accomplish having the two original remotes both running in uhf mode the TV-1 remote had to have a tab cut on the plastic piece that needs to flip into position #1 so as to not force the internal IR/UHF switch into the I/R position and I did that on the new remote's tab already.

Currently the only remote that I now can get to work is one of the original's that operates only TV-1, The TV-2 side will not power up no-way-no-how so my TV in the upstairs bedroom is only seeing a standby screen and will not power up.

Can anyone help me or am I beyond help?

Last edited:
"and I did that on the new remote's tab already"
OUCH:confused:

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding...........you cut a tab off the new remotes' chip? It has a "1" side and a "2" side. To control TV2 it needs to have the "2" side up and be set to different address code than TV1. If you've cut one of the tabs maybe you can salvage things by using the other new remote for TV2 and change address codes as necessary. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!

Ed

Ed,
Actually if you examine it closely when you flip the tab over to the black TV-1 position and look down on the buttons the left tab is still intact and mves a small lever inside. The tab on the right side has to be cut because the only switch it operates is to push the small UHF/IR switch next to the battery compartment from UHF mode position into I/R mode position and both controllers must be operating in UHF mode. The original installer did this with my original remote and it worked just fine. he said for some reason Dish does not want to allow TV-1 to be UHF even though it is capable of operating in that mode.

Try poping out the tab, flip it over and watch what that switch does as you push the key into position.

Why is my 21.0 remote controlling my 722 (family room/downstairs) from my bedroom (upstairs) on the TV1 tuner via UHF and NO TABS or anything else have been cut or altered?:confused: I initially had it controlling TV2 via UHF before I flipped the chip/key over and changed addresses.

Ed

I know about cutting the tab on the 6.3. I don't know what moving the switch on the 21.0 does but it operates TV1 via UHF once it's synched with the receiver out of the box.

BTW, My 6.3 still controls TV1 via IR while my 21.0 does it via UHF.

Last edited:
I installed the system for Shenb We used a 6.3 remote to control TV1 We cut the tab as instructed to allow the 6.3 to go in to UHF mode.
When the 21.0 remotes arrived they were both UHF. No matter what we tried we can not change the remote address for TV2.
By the way the receiver is a 722

Dunno why mine worked.:confused: Good luck!

BTW, I was wrong in my last post. I meant to say my 5.3 (original TV1 remote) still controls TV1 via IR while the 21.0 does it via UHF.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)