Dish Network Booth Preview

Only three things guaranteed in life :

(1) Dish Network's B.S. fees
(2) Taxes
(3) Death

Congratulations Dish you just got added to the list.

I am curious if this enabling fee is per account or per receiver. If it is just per receiver then the next person that buys it (if you were to sell it) would have to pay that same fee again I imagine. If it is per account then that is good as this would avoid issues with how many receivers you have or if one goes bad if it gets tranferred to the next one or if you want to upgrade. If it is per receiver then we have to worry about getting it transferred to the new receiver (I can see the issues with the Asian CSR's with this one). If you want to upgrade the receiver then there's another USB Enabling B.S. fee. If you want to add another receiver then there's another USB Enabling B.S. fee. I wonder if this turns out like the DVR fee which had a one time fee and turns into a monthly fee with those that paid the fee initially will become grandfathered.

External HD info I picked up today that had not been answered that I read-

The current software will support up to 4 drives on the USB port. They were demonstrating 2 different drives at a total of 1.5 TB according to Leslie Harper.

Per Jan Johnson- The system software is ready to go and it is complete with beta. He said but look for it about June or so. (Later Leslie said the same thing on availability. I asked why. Jan said the hold up is some business decisions are being kicked around. I said-- so then the stories I hear about how much it will cost is still soeculative. Answer- Yes as they are still debating that. But Leslie did say that the system is designed to support a one time charge to enable your account for as many hard drives as you want for any of your 622's you have. Again, you first connect a new drive of your choice and then you format it with the Dish software and then you can use it on your account. So it seems we will see a one time charge to activate the feature but how much is the question. Another asked, Can you rercord a program and then take the drive to another house? Repeated. The drive will only work on receivers on your account!

Great follow-up questions, Don! Thanks!

Sure makes the stuff I was reading over at DBS regarding people adding eSATA drives to their HDR20 to increase recording capabilities seem crude. Of course, they can do it today.

I'm holding off on buying an external HD. Prices will likely go down over the next 6 months, and Dish may change their mind, making my purchase unusable.

All I know is everytime they talk External HDD they push it back. Bet well get Streaming Video First. Obviously, projects that make $$$ get priority.

I'd figure 6 months+ another 3-6 month slip.

I was finally really excited about this external storage and then they come up with this June statement. It's crazy that they can get through the entire process of designing and testing it while the suits need another 6 months or more just to decide the charge. Crap!

I am still waiting for equipment that was shown at last years show. In particular, the ViP222 and the DPP33 switch. I had a customer with two 322s want to upgrade to HD but did not want the 622 (the $200 was the issue). They ended up giving up a tuner.

June release for ext hard drive

No USB until June now?!?!?! In June they'll say Before December.

I was at CES this week and I went by the Dish booth on Monday they said support for ext hard drive could happen anytime but most likely it would be released in June. The explaination that I was given had to do with industry issues that Dish anticipates being worked out by then. I gave the rep a hard time and said we have been hearing about ext hard drives for a long time now what makes this time any different, in other words why should I believe in a June release date worse case? He said all they were waiting on was some legal issues to be sorted out and that the software was already set to go... I am fairly confident we should have this feature by June if not sooner. Also if I remember correctly the new 622 is going to be released in June too, but I have no idea what the VC1 codec will be used for... I am under the impression that Dish is set to switch to Mpeg 4 for HD and that they have made a substantial investment in hardware to facilitate this migration to Mpeg 4...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts