Dish Network: Distant Networks

GaryPen said:
You were the kid that reminded the teacher to hand out homework assignments if she had forgotten, weren't you?

Seems like you weren't posting as much for a while Gary and I missed your funny comments - glad you're back.

The website was not supposed to be officially launched until Monday so we kind of Jumped the gun, but we here at SatelliteGuys felt this was an important thing so we made the URL available to all.

It appears now they are working on it, however if you are getting a site error use the following link. The site is still there just appears they moved things waiting for Mondays grand opening.

http://www.savemychannels.com/atstake/

Sorry about that we are always a little ahead of the curve. :D

While we have reached reasonable settlements with hundreds of stations over the years, a small group of broadcasters continues to stonewall – to the detriment of our customers. A recent court decision clearly favors the self-interests of these broadcasters over protecting the rights of hundreds of thousands of consumers who choose to receive their network channels by satellite. Unfortunately, broadcaster special interests used their big money to preserve a law that takes away customers’ freedom of choice.>>>>>

This is just sad. It just goes to show that long established government officials like this are too steeped in bribe money to even care about the people who elected them. What's it going to take to fix this system before it gets even worse?

Eitherway, I'll be linking this to my site and trying to help spread the word. I just don't see the harm in letting folks from NY, who moved to Texas, have access to a NY station. What's the big hub bub about?

When I click on save my channels it says not authorized to look at it and I have tried 3 times. what is going on?

yooper.mi said:
local OTA news up here it would be a first in many years. People forget not everyone gets OTA stations.

But you would get them via satellite if Charlie would finish the rest of the locals in the country. They would have to decide what locals you would get in so called White areas , but you would have access to them via satellite if Charlie would use the bandwith he has up there and finish the locals.

That is the problem we have in Southern West Virginia. DirecTV and Dish Network were planning an expanded DMA to cover the mountain states north south span. They planned on getting WVVA NBC 6 from Bluefield WV, WOAY ABC 4 Oak Hill-Beckley WV, WVNS CBS 59 from Lewisburg WV, they were going to pull in WVAH FOX 11 from the Charleston WV DMA (which is already on both servies dish as well) as the odd CBS station from Clarksburg WV and another one or 2 from Morgantown WV. The problem that both providers ran into was that they wanted the stations to pay for the cost off getting their signals to Dish and DirecTV.

That caused some uproar a few years ago here and it has been confirmed with installers from both companys. Quite simply in this small market DMA they dont want to pay the costs associated with putting the stations on the Dish.

So DirecTV customers can get FOX, Dish Network customers can sign up for NBC, FOX, UPN and WB via distant signals. UPN and WB are apparently not involved in the contraversy but there are no local broadcasters for either of them or the CW or MY9 as WWOR calls itself so there is no problem with these stations.

Bob

I modified the message, since in Connecticut, we no longer qualify for Distant Networks, although at one time I did (and they took it away, those bums)

"I am a Dish Network customer and feel it is not fair for some broadcaster controlled lobby to cause the government to force Dish Network to stop supplying the "Distant Network" channels to qualified customers , preventing access to important news and emergency information. Please help stop the broadcasters from taking away these channels. Protect our freedom of choice.

The "public airways" are no longer as they were in the 50's and 60's. People have many options for viewing, reading, and listening. Trying to influence Congress to protect their business interests smacks in the face of the customers choice. If these broadcasters are so afraid of losing viewers, how about forcing them to spend their money providing something worth watching, instead of on PACs to fight their battles for them.Thank you for helping."

Ok, my question is this: I realize all that has been going on, but what has changed (or is going to happen) that will force E* to pull the plug next week?

Last edited:
Is there any legal recourse against Echostar or the government for those of us the cannot recieve network station any other way?

try this website:

http://www.savemychannels.com/atstake

I sent the email to both senators and our representative. I did put in there that this is an election year, and if this bill goes through, and since my wife and I are registered voters, we would be voting for someone else. :D

yooper.mi said:
Is there any legal recourse against Echostar or the government for those of us the cannot recieve network station any other way?

What makes you think you have a legal entitlement to DNS from E*? On what grounds would you sue the government? Even though I am an E* customer of long standing and a Charlie admirer, I cannot support his misleading and mealymouthed plea for assistance. This is a simple situation. Charlie did bad. The law states a punishment. The court has imposed the punishment. Will E* subs suffer? To some degree but you can always sign up with D* or put pressure on Charlie to deliver your locals. This is not and never has been about "censorship," cable or NAB corruption. Charlie knew the rules. Charlie broke the rules. All the posters decrying the inability to "get whatever you pay for," either don't understand how the system works or are so self-centered (I want it and I want it NOW!) they appear to have the maturity of a spoiled child.

Of course, asking Congress to change the law is one way to go but I don't think such a request is going to be favorably considered because (1) it benefits the bad actor, demonstrating that breaking the law has no meaningful consequences* and (2) would remove the added pressure for Charlie to get all DMA's up and running.

*think about the Senate illegal alien amnesty bill

Scott Greczkowski said:
I dont think its supposed to be public knowledge yet, but who cares, lefts fight for our right to choose! :)

Please spread the word!

Are you joking? This has been "public knowledge" since the court decision in May! Apparently Charlie was hoping for a Deus ex machina to save him, but failing that decided to blanket the customer base with a misleading, emotional plea.