DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Wow, when it comes to multiple receivers and the everything or premier pack, looks like Directv wins hands down.

& at least for now, no online redemption with them either. That's huge for a new customer who opts out of auto pay, even though their paying for hd they can still get the promotion price. Not with with dish, auto pay required.

I can sign with Direct for $84.99 for 1st 12 months then $109.99 for next 24 months after that, includes Free Genie AND that includes Regional Sports Networks!!!

So go ahead Dish raise AEP $15/month and see what happens to your subscriber base!

You have to do what is best for you. The way I see it is that you pay your bill, and you should be satisfied with the service(s).

I will look at D* again w/ this news. Then in a couple of years take a look again. By then the Hopper will have all the bugs worked out too.

Last edited:
Did I read wrong or did the second page say if you have 120 or above and were a sub anytime before Jan 2013 you will get a 5 dollar credit for 18 months? So if you activated after March of this year you get 10 bucks off?
It says 120 PLUS, (That is a package name, not anything higher than 120). But it does say anytime, but i bet that is a misprint.

Yes it does.

So with Direct the Premier is $119.99

With Dish right now Everything is $104.99 and add Multi-sport ($10/month???).

So the two 'everythings' aren't all that far apart.

I think Multi-sport is $9/month (unless there was an increase I missed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a $10 price protection for AEP, this for customers no matter when they signed up, this is for 18 months.
Go ahead and bust my bubble.
Dan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a $10 price protection for AEP, this for customers no matter when they signed up, this is for 18 months.
Go ahead and bust my bubble.
Dan

The wording does seem to point to yes as I see existing customer anytime before the future date given.

I can live with the $5 increase to AT250. No way I'd keep AEP after a $15 increase, if I had it.

Looks like we also get credits though-----for 18 months.

Sorry Dirty Dan I did not see your post first

Last edited:
I don't understand the credit system. They are only giving credits to recently activated subs, activated after 3/1/2012? But, aren't they locked into promo pricing for the first year?

Exactly my point. As always existing customers count for nothing.

Still as per the chart for AT200 it's $5 plus $1 is not bad unless there are more increase not announced still.

Is am hearing that big directv increases are coming this spring also. Neither dish or direct has a choice as the content providers are increasing everything.
Wow, when it comes to multiple receivers and the everything or premier pack, looks like Directv wins hands down.

I dont get it. I have at250, 722 as my primary, and a 211. Been with dish since 2007. How much will my bill go up by? How much is the increase and offsetting credit?
Thanks

Well I was wrong on the amount of the price change. I said anywhere from $5.00 to $8.00. Went over by $3.00 there. I was correct that they would go up on the dvr fee, but wrong on the amount. I predicted that they would make all the dvr fees the same at $10.00. I got that wrong. So the price change is much better than I thought it would be. So always prepare for the Worst and be happy when it doesn't happen. That is my DISH price hike mantra. Although the AEP customers were probably staring in "DISHbelief" at the idea of $15.00 increase.;)

Will we have a price freeze for two years again? If not then these credits that particular customers get will end. This would result in the customers not only receiving a price increase for the credits ending but a double whammy seeing another increase that they would pass down annually. That would be a hefty increase. If they would keep the price the same for two years then they might be able to get away with this but then people would see a hefty price increase two years in a row. They would just be delaying the inevitable.

Looks like we also get credits though-----for 18 months.
Why? Did you sign up after 3/1/2012? That's what it seems to say as far as who gets the credit. It also says the credits last 12 months, not 18.

Or, are you looking at a different place that explains the credit system a little more clearly, and more beneficial to folks like us?

It's coming to a tipping point for me with DISH. Between a price increase and squabbles with networks and local channels (like my FOX affiliate) causing the channel(s) to be blocked; I think it's time for me to just pull the plug. No DISH, No DirecTV, no cable. It will be Netflix and Hulu on my Roku box. Stream away!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)