DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

I am surprised that AT120+ is getting a $10 bump while all the other AT packages are only getting a $5 bump. If it was because of the added RSNs and Sports Channels in AT120+, I would have thought that AT200 and AT250 would also feel the $10 increase.

I am surprised that AT120+ is getting a $10 bump while all the other AT packages are only getting a $5 bump. If it was because of the added RSNs and Sports Channels in AT120+, I would have thought that AT200 and AT250 would also feel the $10 increase.

Could be two reasons for that.

1) AT200 is already $15 more than the AT120, so the costs for RSNs are already added into the higher priced packages.

2) Dish might also be making the statement "See, we told you that sports programming is expensive."

Is am hearing that big directv increases are coming this spring also. Neither dish or direct has a choice as the content providers are increasing everything.

Directv increases every year, period. Thats why this is so funny, when Dish froze pricing everyone was excited, but they are gonna make it up on the back end. I used to sweat the pricing, but hardware is what drives my choice now.

Just reup'd for 24 months last month to get 1H1J. I'm on AEP @ 104.99 right now.

Dish can kiss my ass goodbye if they keep this up. Especially if the reason for the increase is adding in the sports package. I don't give a crap about sports. I feel like Dish is screwing what should be their most valuable customer base. Where is the loyalty to me for being a customer since 2004? Yet they'll give my friend that is a new subscriber half off - what do I get as a thank you for my loyal business?

OTA + Streaming is starting to look like a better idea every day.

Just reup'd for 24 months last month to get 1H1J. I'm on AEP @ 104.99 right now.

Dish can kiss my ass goodbye if they keep this up. Especially if the reason for the increase is adding in the sports package. I don't give a crap about sports. I feel like Dish is screwing what should be their most valuable customer base. Where is the loyalty to me for being a customer since 2004? Yet they'll give my friend that is a new subscriber half off - what do I get as a thank you for my loyal business?

OTA + Streaming is starting to look like a better idea every day.

Oh please. You knew Dish was raising rates, you had the chance to wait and see how much before committing. There are other much less expensive packages that are only going up $6. (Incl $1 DVR) And don't make it sound like this is only Dish going up in prices.....
(Only meaning compared to what AEP appears to be going up)

Told my wife about this and she's already saying we will be re-evaluating our DISH bill after we move next month. She, like me, is wondering why the $1 increase in the DVR fee. I told her for $2 more a month we can upgrade to the Hopper/Joey system.

Told my wife about this and she's already saying we will be re-evaluating our DISH bill after we move next month. She, like me, is wondering why the $1 increase in the DVR fee. I told her for $2 more a month we can upgrade to the Hopper/Joey system.
bingo we have a winner..forcing people to the hopper

Okay...this will set likely set off "political" alarms for the moderators. But, I am being very serious here. Is it possible that these increased costs are - in addition to increased programming costs - related to increased costs that are set to kick-in to pay for the President's healthcare plan? How many full-time DISH employees are there? Everyone's healthcare costs are going to be increasing for most if not all businesses and someone has to pay for it. So, all I'm saying is that health insurance and its new rules/regulations required of employers could be a contributing factor in this DISH increase.

I could see a small percentage, but I think programming costs are just going up. Its a time where you either reduce your package, or go streaming/OTA. If I did not have the money, Dish would be one of the 1st things gone.

Blaming health care is like blaming the cost of gas, or the cost of electricity.

All business have costs that they must pay and figure into the bottom line.

The biggest issue is the cost of the channels keeps going up and up. And thats how the satellite and cable companies will always explain their price increases.

Just got word our comcast is going up as well. Its not a DISH only thing.

Why? Did you sign up after 3/1/2012? That's what it seems to say as far as who gets the credit. It also says the credits last 12 months, not 18.

Or, are you looking at a different place that explains the credit system a little more clearly, and more beneficial to folks like us?

On the second page of Scott's attachment I see a $10 Credit for anyone who activated before 1/17/2013. this is in addition to another credit which is supposedly explained on pg.4----but we only seem to have 3 pages. am I missing something?

Why? Did you sign up after 3/1/2012? That's what it seems to say as far as who gets the credit. It also says the credits last 12 months, not 18.

Or, are you looking at a different place that explains the credit system a little more clearly, and more beneficial to folks like us?

The attached pricing guide thumbnail in Scotts post says for the AEP, subscribers that activated anytime PRIOR to 1/17/2013 will automatically receive one of the below in addition to the $5 Price Protection credit.

Additional credit of $10 for 18 months.

I take this to mean the $15 price increase for AEP subscribers seems to be deferred for the next 18 months. Right?

I thought about a Hopper upgrade. I'd need 3 hoppers & 3 joeys to 3 x 722 & 1 x 612, feeding 6 TVs. I'll wait for the gen announcement. I'm hoping Dish will release a 5-6 tuner model.

So I already have a $10 a month credit until July 2013, for the AMC fiasco. Shows as an AEP credit, since that's what I had at the time. I've since downgraded to AT250.
I wonder how that would work if I upgraded to AEP before 1/17/2013? $10 AMC credit until July, with a $5 12mon credit , plus a $10 18mon credit , starting in Jan?

I have a question about price pressures on Dish and their competitors: Is it true that the most expensive content for Dish is sports? And isn't cable news also fairly pricey (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC)? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do understand why the providers have resisted al a carte programming, but it seems like certain overpriced content genres like sports and cable news eventually need to be optional as they are significantly raising costs and prices for customers that don't watch them, or in the case of sports- some people might watch them only seasonally.

Sports is certainly a big price pusher, I'm not certain the news channels are.

It would be nice if E* and D* could offer some packages that were more fully featured without some of the sports as that should give some lower price points. However the content providers are pushing hard for that not to happen. And until/unless a significant number of subscribers either lower their subscription package selection or leave sat/cable altogether it won't change.

So while we all hate the price increases they haven't yet hit that magic number that makes us do something dramatic.

For me, I've decided that since the gov't insists that the COLA was only 1.7% this past year, that I will keep the costs of things that I can control to no more than a 1.7% increase in what I'll pay. That will certainly make me have to change my subscription level and as long as the majority of what I want to watch is within that change, I'll stick with sat. Otherwise I'll start looking seriously at changing lots of things around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts