Dish "Protection Plan"

Over the 16+ years that I have had Dish, I have activated the Protection Plan once and then for only 4 months, the minimum time. That was when I developed lnb drift and the lnb had to be replaced. When I had to replaced failed 722's, I just paid the shipping charge. I figure that if I had the Protection Plan all the time, I would have spent over $1,000 for it.

Regardless of where you fall on the divine entitlement issue...

Any shipping charges are likely to be much less than the monthly fees paid. Further, I wasn't convinced that my customer service was any better with the plan than without.

It's a personal decision, that's for sure. Some folks have nothing but problems, and keeping and maintaining the Protection Plan may be a good idea for them. But others have such rare problems, it's not worth keeping it on there, and you CAN add it on the spot to cover the problem. At least under current business practices and rules, you can. I wouldn't recommend it be added for only shipping cost reasons unless the customer is prone to break stuff 6 times a year or more (and yes, some do)

One thing you allude to, there is absolutely no difference in the type of customer service you get with the protection plan versus without it. None...same agents, same troubleshooting, same resolutions.

I LOL'd at the "divine entitlement" comment. Oh, the things I could say about that, but I'm prevented from doing so. :D I don't keep up with all the other companies out there (DTV, Comcast, etc), but I expect many/most will charge for a technician, and am guessing they also would charge for shipping a receiver (but again, I have no idea).

Disclaimer, my opinions are my own, do not represent Dish in any way, shape or form, etc, blah, blah, blah...

I "hopped" on to the Protection Plan to avoid a $99 installation fee for my 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys back in May.

As soon (the next second) as the 120 days are up I'll cancel it like a bad sit-com.

It has never been a good deal in my estimation, I have little or no trouble that requires a tech visit and if I do require a tech visit I'll turn the plan back on for as short a time period as I can.

It was marginal when the price was $5/month, now at $7 it is a bad deal.

If I have a receiver fail, it's $15 to ship another, paid for in Protection Plan fees in 2 months, every month without the $7 payment makes being without it better.

In my 10 years with dish I have had 2 receiver replacements (knock on wood), so a dollar saved...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts