Dish Refurb. advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

O'Doyle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Ridgeland, South Carolina
Ok, I am going to freshen up my 10 footer mesh dish with some new paint, what recommendations would you all make for this, I am leaning towards flat black and something designed for aluminum. Also I would like to replace some of the really rusted bolts & nuts with new ones that will not rust, I hear brass nuts and bolts do better than galvanized coated ones???

I used several cans of "Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer" last Fall when I was putting in my Unimesh. I chose semi-gloss black.

The dish had been sitting outside disassembled for 2 years. But it was still in good shape and I only had to replace a few nuts and bolts.

I used it at my previous house and really missed it. My wife didn't want it at our new house. Finally last Fall, after 2 years of doing without it, I just put it up. She didn't notice it for awhile because our lot is fairly large. When she finally saw it she was upset but she got over it.

I think it looks pretty good with new paint in its new location. All I have left to do is bury the cables.

BudWithC2PLL.jpg

Brass bolts and nuts are too soft (read: weak). Go for galvanized steel, they can be kept fairly rust-free if you clear coat them after you are done with all the work.

Agreed. You might be able to get away with brass for a little while on a light mesh dish, but I would go with gal. steel and know they will last.

SS bolts and nuts for sure. I used the semi-gloss black rustoleum paint as well on my Winegard Pinnacle perforated dish. It takes a lot of paint though.

Reactions: dougruss
I used several cans of "Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer" last Fall when I was putting in my Unimesh. I chose semi-gloss black.

The dish had been sitting outside disassembled for 2 years. But it was still in good shape and I only had to replace a few nuts and bolts.

I used it at my previous house and really missed it. My wife didn't want it at our new house. Finally last Fall, after 2 years of doing without it, I just put it up. She didn't notice it for awhile because our lot is fairly large. When she finally saw it she was upset but she got over it.

I think it looks pretty good with new paint in its new location. All I have left to do is bury the cables.

BudWithC2PLL.jpg

Looks like a thing of beauty to me. It kind of blends in a touch. Nice setup!

There must be something you can/do receive with the dish that she likes to watch?
Looks GREAT. Keep up with the painting and it should last you a long time.

BudWithC2PLL.jpg

BudWithC2PLL.jpg
Very nice job and it does look great there! :thumbup:) Key word is 'our' as in 'our new house' and 'our lot'. She probably had some things that you were not the fondest of but you were a nice guy and didn't suggest she get rid of them so only fair that she returned the favor and accepted your dish! :D

Looks like a thing of beauty to me. It kind of blends in a touch. Nice setup!
Thanks. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" -- a timeless quote that really applies here!

There must be something you can/do receive with the dish that she likes to watch?
Looks GREAT. Keep up with the painting and it should last you a long time.
I know she likes watching NBC's 'Tonight Show' 3 hours early at 8:30 PM on NBC East -105W. But she won't admit it.

Very nice job and it does look great there! :thumbup:) Key word is 'our' as in 'our new house' and 'our lot'. She probably had some things that you were not the fondest of but you were a nice guy and didn't suggest she get rid of them so only fair that she returned the favor and accepted your dish! :D
Oh ya. She has some really ugly mismatched 'antique' furniture that I put up with.

I figure that since I had the Unimesh stored away for 2 years, the only 'compromise' would be to put it up for 2 years. But it will probably be there far less than that since I told her that I would move the dish to the other side of the lot after I put in a retaining wall there. It would get in the way of construction, which I plan to do this summer. Then I can put it there after its done. It will all work out well in the end.

Anyway, I am off-topic here so I should stop before I get scolded.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Anti-seize lubricant on the threads of any 'lightly' plated steel hardware (i.e.,non-stainless or non-galvanized steel bolts and nuts).

On my satellite dish hardware, I've used it on: pole to pad nuts/bolts, elevation/declination adjustment nuts, actuator bolts, support arms to dish bolts, Scalar to support arms and so on.
NWMDC2.jpg
I've learned to really appreciate the stuff over years of rebuilding/restoring antique vehicles... I use it on any nut and bolt that is subject to long term corrosion or exposed to the elements, like exhaust manifold bolts, bumper bolts, spark plugs, shock mount bolts, crossmember bolts, etc. The stuff works well on parts subject to galvanic reactions like steel bolts into aluminum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts