Dish sure changed the Hopper

jrat69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Indiana
At work I have the Hopper, Business account. On 4/20 all of a sudden all my apps disappeared, and I had the new 520 update. There is no channel 370 for Netflix, no more Pandora, no weather app. I also received a e-mail saying that price was going to be increased. When I called Dish today they said they removed all the apps from commercial accounts, and removed the DVR function, so we can't record a show and watch it later, and also removed the Sirius music channels. They suggested I change my package to one of their new packages, and offered me a 6 month discount, which would either be similar in price to my current package but with fewer channels, or more expensive with the same channels we currently watch, but would have to pay for a bunch of sports channels we do not watch. We are not a restaurant or a bar, and have no need for the sports channels. I told them I would just stick out the remainder of my contract with what I have, and then switch to either Direct or cable. I loved dish, but this is not the dish services I signed up for when I signed my contract.

I would push back. If everything you are saying true, then I would demand that they either let you out of the contract or greatly discount your current price. It sounds like a complete change of business rules occurred and I would not just take it on the chin.

I'm thinking it was accidentally tracking as a residential account, and is now being recognized as a business or commercial account. That makes the most sense.

Reactions: navychop
As of a week or so ago all pubic and private accounts with hopper/joey systems lost appd and dvr functions. If i can find the email i'll post it. Didnt know they increased the price though. But that is true, no mistake there, as i remember it says ALL PRIVATE AND PUBLIC ACCOUNTS WILL LOSE DVR FUNCTIONALITY. Got the email on 4/02 so i thought it was a late april fools joke but apparently not

"Effective April 9, 2015, DVR functionality and apps will be disabled on Hopper/Joey systems at new and existing Public/Private customer locations. The change impacts systems configured with any combination of Hopper, Hopper w/ Sling, Joey, Wireless Joey, Super Joey, and Virtual Joey. This change also applies to any upgrades, such as DISH’n It Up, existing customers may make to Hopper/Joey systems and to any new DVR technology DISH launches in the future.

As part of this change, the following key functions and apps, among others, will be disabled:

Recording (including access to previously recorded content in storage)
PrimeTime AnyTime®
Sling
Video on Demand
AutoHop™
Hopper Transfers
All apps including Gamefinder
Netflix®
“Trick play” functionality such as fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.
When the customer attempts to access the DVR screen, they will receive a “feature unavailable” message.

Although these capabilities and apps will not be available to Public/Private customers, Hopper/Joey configurations still provide several benefits:

Diverse configuration combinations
Best user interface (e.g. our Electronic Programming Guide)
Access to all Joey types – Joey, Wireless Joey, Super Joey and Virtual Joey
Joey’s small size makes it easy to tuck behind wall-mounted televisions
Please emphasize these enduring benefits of the Hopper system with Public/Private customers."

Exactly as it reads

SCAM. Or Public/private means commercial business account.

I certainly got no such message, and the loss of access to my EHDs and DVR'd content would certainly mean the end of my Dish account.

Reactions: bobvick
That's exactly what it means (private/public BUSINESS). The OP mentioned this in his first post ("At work" "Business account")

public business or private business.... either way, just a regular ole commercial account.... Private Residencies will not have to worry about this...Dish is not dumb enough to remove DVR features from a hopper on a private residential account. I am almost 100% positive that would result in a lawsuit, even if they let folks out of their contracts... for false advertisings, or bait and switch, or something along those lines. Plus, I can almost guarantee almost all hopper customers would say bye....that would dent their business bigtime... Commercial accounts makes sense in a way to disable those features. I am not saying I agree with the decision, just that I can see what someone might be thinking when making the call.

public business or private business.... either way, just a regular ole commercial account.... Private Residencies will not have to worry about this...Dish is not dumb enough to remove DVR features from a hopper on a private residential account. I am almost 100% positive that would result in a lawsuit, even if they let folks out of their contracts... for false advertisings, or bait and switch, or something along those lines. Plus, I can almost guarantee almost all hopper customers would say bye....that would dent their business bigtime... Commercial accounts makes sense in a way to disable those features. I am not saying I agree with the decision, just that I can see what someone might be thinking when making the call.
Sorry. I have to disagree with the last bit. Someone wants to make the call. Fine. But apply it to new accounts going forward. Doing so retroactively is a huge slap in the face to existing customers.

Sorry. I have to disagree with the last bit. Someone wants to make the call. Fine. But apply it to new accounts going forward. Doing so retroactively is a huge slap in the face to existing customers.
Except the features option is specifically mentioned in the RSA.... That is how I can understand where they are coming from. When you sign up, you take the risk. I have never seen a Hopper ad for a commercial account... If I did, then I would not agree with this statement.

Commercial accounts makes sense in a way to disable those features
Bullsh*t. Why offer Hopper/Joey systems to business accounts in the first place then ? Oh wait, because they still get these features: Diverse configuration combinations, best user interface (e.g. our Electronic Programming Guide), access to all Joey types – Joey, Wireless Joey, Super Joey and Virtual Joey, and Joey’s small size makes it easy to tuck behind wall-mounted televisions.

As of a week or so ago all pubic and private accounts with hopper/joey systems lost appd and dvr functions. If i can find the email i'll post it. Didnt know they increased the price though. But that is true, no mistake there, as i remember it says ALL PRIVATE AND PUBLIC ACCOUNTS WILL LOSE DVR FUNCTIONALITY. Got the email on 4/02 so i thought it was a late april fools joke but apparently not
Do commercial accounts pay a "Hopper" (and if applicable, the Joey fees) ? If so, did those get dropped to regular, non-DVR rates ?

Like I said, I do not necessarily agree with it, but understand it. It makes sense. If they want to tie multiple games into the same tuner it might be easier that way... Might being the optimal word. But I also agree, there should be no $12/DVR service fee.

What kind of TV are you watching man? :)

I dont know if they are still being charged the whole home dvr fee. If they dont then this would make installs alot easier! Hd programming on all tvs

Doesn't this sound like DISH has no control of these changes? It did to me so I looked at the Direct contract.

The updated Direct Contract has this bolding is mine;
"DIRECTV DVR Service is a separately sold service, at our rates in effect at the time, available only to Private Viewing Establishment customers with DVR-enabled Receiving Equipment. The DIRECTV DVR Service is not authorized for use by Business Viewing Customers or Public Viewing Customers."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)