Dish Tailgater 2012 Showcase Award Winner

Basically the Tailgater is designed to work with 411, 211 and 211k receivers. When setting up all you need is a power source, TV, receiver and Tailgater. Set the Tailgater in a location that has a view to the SW, connect everything and turn them on. A screen comes on the receiver right away asking what state you are in. Select the state and then select scan and you are done. Just wait for it to point and you have TV in a few minutes. Total setup time is about 15-20 minutes and takes up little space when traveling.

So how is this any different from the already on the market units, the Winegard Carry out has been out for years now.

Someone mentioned it's cheaper, how much is it, does it do HD ?

Ok, I see it does do HD, but DISH HD has been done for ages, let us know when they have one that does both KA and KU bands.

Last edited:
Why give any dvr an award then? Why give any tv an award then? Why give any satellite receiver an award? Come on man! Almost all things at CES have been done they just keep improving on them. That's what makes a product great now. TiVo got an award, how long has that been out? I'm not trying to be an ass but just trying to prove a point. You could make your same argument with a lot of products that win awards.

my deal is this doesn't look innovative, new or improved, but just rebranded off some other companies menu of products. but I get your point. and as I said before, I am not bust your or Don's chops, just trying to figure out what exactly this thing actually won for? what makes it different? but I will drop trying to figure it out; its not worth it anymore.

So how is this any different from the already on the market units, the Winegard Carry out has been out for years now.

Someone mentioned it's cheaper, how much is it, does it do HD ?

Ok, I see it does do HD, but DISH HD has been done for ages, let us know when they have one that does both KA and KU bands.

I have not seen a portable Dish that does what the Tailgater does for the price, which $349. A customer can pick up a Tailgater and 211k receiver for $499. I actually just sold one yesterday.

The reason it is cheaper is because it works only with a Dish single tuner HD receiver. Since it does not have to be programmed to know what service provider it is being used with it is made less expensive. All you do is connect it to you 211k, select what state you're in and then scan. You're done then. No leveling, no pointing, no hassle and you have HD programming.

We use to sell the VuQubes, which were great, but they sold for a minimun $500-$600 and that was for the manual one. You had to tell it if you were using Dish or DirecTV then you have to point it by using a remote. Not only was it more expensive, it didn't do HD. You have to go to the next model for HD. I hope this explains why the Tailgating deserved some recognition.

I have not seen a portable Dish that does what the Tailgater does for the price, which $349. A customer can pick up a Tailgater and 211k receiver for $499. I actually just sold one yesterday.

The reason it is cheaper is because it works only with a Dish single tuner HD receiver. Since it does not have to be programmed to know what service provider it is being used with it is made less expensive. All you do is connect it to you 211k, select what state you're in and then scan. You're done then. No leveling, no pointing, no hassle and you have HD programming.

We use to sell the VuQubes, which were great, but they sold for a minimun $500-$600 and that was for the manual one. You had to tell it if you were using Dish or DirecTV then you have to point it by using a remote. Not only was it more expensive, it didn't do HD. You have to go to the next model for HD. I hope this explains why the Tailgating deserved some recognition.

This is a GOOD thing actually, maybe prices will fall to something reasonable instead of increasing...
Hopefully D* will come out with one as well.

Thanks :D I know all the RV/Portables I have seen really cost and DIRECTV only has the SD model...(last time I checked)

The big issue with the ones D*M uses is that it needs to have the KA and the KU band in it for HD, so it's gonna cost more, where as the DN and Bell only use one of them.

What would be the lowest base package required? I'd be keeping D* for home and this for the road. The road just needs cartoons, news, ESPN and locals...but I don't want to break the bank for video services that will only be used once in a while. About $50/month is what I'd go for...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts