Dish to expand HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since last summer, they have added the Discovery Channels, History, Big Ten, NHL, NBA, TBS. So I wouldn't say they stopped adding channels.

They just haven't added SciFi.

Discovery and History are the last adds I am referring to in the summer. Yes, they added TBS after being basically shamed into adding it by baseball fans in October. Big Ten is not national and hardly counts. It is a regional network available in states with those schools. They may have launched for everybody but said it would soon be available only in those states where the schools are. As for NBA and NHL, those are both season passes, not something that everybody gets. So really, the only true HD nationals they have added since summer are TBS HD and NHL Network HD. So pretty much yeah, they have not been adding channels.

Having 8 NHL Center Ice channels that air 1 game on 2-7 of the stations per day at the most for two and a half hours hardly counts as 8 different HD nationals. It looks like they are including that in the count though, which is very deceptive and you know it.

Since last summer, they have added the Discovery Channels, History, Big Ten, NHL, NBA, TBS. So I wouldn't say they stopped adding channels.

They just haven't added SciFi.

Also, there are a ton of channels other than SciFi that they haven't added that are available, not just SciFi... want a list? Go look at DirecTV's website.

High Definition Channels

Ch # Station Comments 359 Comcast Sportsnet West HD
361 FSN Prime Ticket HD
362 MSG HD
363 Fox Sports Net New York
364 Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain HD
365 Fox Sports Net Arizona HD
366 Fox Sports Net Southwest HD
367 Fox Sports Net West HD
368 Fox Sports Net Midwest HD
369 Fox Sports Net Bay Area HD
370 Fox Sports Net South HD
372 Sun Sports HD
373 Fox Sports Net Florida HD
374 Comcast Sportsnet Mid-Atlantic HD
375 Fox Sports Net Ohio HD
376 Fox Sports Net Northwest HD
377 Fox Sports Net Cincinnati HD
378 Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh HD
379 Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD
380 Fox Sports Net Detroit HD
381 SportsTime Ohio HD
386 Fox Sports Net North HD
387 SportSouth HD
388 SportsNet New York HD
403 NHL Network HD
559 NHL Network HD
9419 A&E HD
9420 TNT HD
9421 Discovery HD Theater
9422 HDNet
9423 HDNet Movies
9424 ESPN HD
9425 ESPN2 HD
9426 NFL Network HD
9427 Universal HD
9428 HD Pay-Per-View
9429 National Geographic Channel HD
9430 Showtime HD
9435 Starz HD
9456 HBO HD
9460 Showtime HD
9461 HGTV HD
9462 Food Network HD
9465 HDTV Special Events
9466 NBA HD
9467 HD Pay-Per-View/NHL Center Ice HD
9468 Golf/Versus HD
9469 MHD
9470 Rave HD
9471 Equator HD
9472 Gallery HD
9473 World Sport HD
9474 Animania HD
9475 World Cinema HD
9476 Rush HD
9477 Treasure HD
9478 UltraHD
9479 Kung Fu HD
9480 Film Fest HD
9481 Monsters HD
9482 HD News
9485 Game Play HD
9486 Family Room HD
9487 Discovery Channel HD
9488 TLC HD
9489 Animal Planet HD
9490 The Science Channel HD 9491 The History Channel HD
9499 TBS HD 9500 Big Ten Network HD 9501 Big Ten Network Alternate HD 9502 Big Ten Network Alternate HD 9503 Big Ten Network Alternate HD 9504 Big Ten Network Alternate HD 9508 NBA TV HD 9509 NBA League Pass Preview HD 9543-9558 NHL Center Ice HD 9561-9571 NBA League Pass HD

Regionals that are not available nationwide are not nationals. I live in Florida and cannot get Fox Sports New York unless I "move." It is deceptive to count those channels in a nationals count. Also 403 and 559 are the same channel.. you can't count it twice... and obviously NHL Center Ice channels, all ten of them are not 10 channels... they broadcast 1 game per day max each.

Your blue channels are right on as far as HD nationals, and they don't add up to 76. Somebody needs to give Dish a math 101 course.

Not defending the horrible math of DISH but you should count channel 402. It is national channel that is on 24/7 and is not part of Season Pass.

Discovery and History are the last adds I am referring to in the summer. Yes, they added TBS after being basically shamed into adding it by baseball fans in October. Big Ten is not national and hardly counts. It is a regional network available in states with those schools. They may have launched for everybody but said it would soon be available only in those states where the schools are. As for NBA and NHL, those are both season passes, not something that everybody gets. So really, the only true HD nationals they have added since summer are TBS HD and NHL Network HD. So pretty much yeah, they have not been adding channels.

Having 8 NHL Center Ice channels that air 1 game on 2-7 of the stations per day at the most for two and a half hours hardly counts as 8 different HD nationals. It looks like they are including that in the count though, which is very deceptive and you know it.

You are reading to deeply into what I am saying. You said Dish stopped adding channels in the summer. I'm saying they added more since then. Not implying it is as much as anyone else, or that more shouldn't be added. Just saying that they have added channels since summer.

The company begins its HD launches with 11 local markets including: Austin, TX; Baltimore; Cleveland; Columbia, S.C.; Flint, Mich.; Greenville, S.C.; Huntsville, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Orlando, Fla.; and Richmond, Va. The addition of these markets brings DISH Network's local HD penetration to 80 percent of U.S. TV households.
Go Knoxville, it's your birthday. :)

Go Knoxville, it's your birthday. :)

This is kind of funny, Knoxville is way down the list (58) on the TV market ranks and so are the others. Orlando is a smaller market than Tampa... etc..

Yet Dish does not offer HD locals for Tampa. Another example of the idiots behind the wheel at Dish going the wrong way down the Interstate of common sense.

Why would they add HD locals to the smaller television markets first?

Here is the list of rankings by market for those that want it... List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is kind of funny, Knoxville is way down the list (58) on the TV market ranks and so are the others. Orlando is a smaller market than Tampa... etc..

Yet Dish does not offer HD locals for Tampa. Another example of the idiots behind the wheel at Dish going the wrong way down the Interstate of common sense.

Here is the list of rankings by market for those that want it... List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Knoxville serves a large area, including south east Ky (which is where I live). They also have alot of subs in the Knoxville viewing area. They may be going by how many subs they have in an area. Why put up hd locals in a area where you don't have as many subs?

It's not just flipping a switch. E* has to strike a deal with each station first.

Not only do they have to strike a deal, they have to co-locate their uplink hardware somewhere too.. Here it's at our local NBC station. They collect all the stations in the city into there, and then shoot it out to Dish via fiber supposedly.

Once again, what is Dish supposed to do, negotiate with the top "x" markets until a deal is made with all of them ? What if other markets are willing to make deals with Dish *now*, ignore them ? It's clearly obvious that Dish works with the stations in a market and if it's going nowhere, they move on to another one.

Since i only get 110,119, and 129 i guess dish will have to come install a different dish.Which one gets all 4 sats ?
None can get the three listed and 61.5.

Now what I really dont understand is why are they adding Flint Michigan for hd? That city is the year long unwashed smelly armpit of the state and Buffalo is even better than that city and Im not a fan of it either.

Now what I really dont understand is why are they adding Flint Michigan for hd? That city is the year long unwashed smelly armpit of the state and Buffalo is even better than that city and Im not a fan of it either.

hahahahahaha. Now that description really fits for Flint. My car was stolen several years ago. It was recovered in Flint. We went up there and spent 2 hours at their Police Department trying to find someone who had any clue where I could get my keys that were stolen at the same time. While there, my mom had to go to the rest room and even the soap was dirty.

It really irked me that they were on the list and Grand Rapids wasn't (Grand Rapids serves like all of Southwest Michigan).

Geoff

I used to think that of Lansing till I did my first install in Flint, its pretty much a poverty level town for the most part and you can go on ebay and pic up a house there for around ten grand or less just like with Youngstown Ohio and thats the armpit of Ohio. Go north and you'll find yourself in Frankenmuth wich may be the reason why its getting hd locals or it may have to do with one of the E vp's living somewhere north of the Detroit dma last I heard before I stopped working for E in that market.

I agrea that GR should be getting hd locals considering its size and its local coverage for the area. Hows the job market out there btw? I'm kind of missing living in the magic mitten though dont get me wrong, its nice to have winter highs in the low 70's where I'm at now. :D

I used to think that of Lansing till I did my first install in Flint, its pretty much a poverty level town for the most part and you can go on ebay and pic up a house there for around ten grand or less just like with Youngstown Ohio and thats the armpit of Ohio. Go north and you'll find yourself in Frankenmuth wich may be the reason why its getting hd locals or it may have to do with one of the E vp's living somewhere north of the Detroit dma last I heard before I stopped working for E in that market.

I agrea that GR should be getting hd locals considering its size and its local coverage for the area. Hows the job market out there btw? I'm kind of missing living in the magic mitten though dont get me wrong, its nice to have winter highs in the low 70's where I'm at now. :D

Job market stinks right now. Last I heard MI was ranked number 1 in unemployment (or maybe 2nd but just barely). Not sure what it is like in Sat Install.

However, don't dis us for cold weather during the winter. Was 63 degrees on Monday in GR. Little colder at 58 degrees yesterday.

Geoff

ya and i'm sure your area is perfect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)