DishAnywhere How good? How about to a big screen?

birkoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I live in Oregon. I have an old DVR (Dish 622?) and plan to upgrade to a Hopper (3?).

The plan is to become a snowbird in southern Nevada during the winter months. I will have access to a 50 or 150 meg internet. Also plan to be able to get OTA locals from Las Vegas. But in the process of "cutting the cable" how viable is to use DishAnywhere to provide access to many of the Dish "cable" channels. Is it just as easy to use a Roku and get many channels because it outputs to a HD 65 inch screen?

Also, if I download the recorded programs using the Hopper, or "watch live" can I get the output to a HD 65 inch screen, or am I limited to a iphone, ipad, or computer?

The key is to have the best upload speed!(were the hopper is)....The other end helps, but the idea is for the best picture have the most data....You will be surprised how well it works.

Thanks AZ. My upload speed where the hopper is at is 5 meg. I have an old Slingbox and it works, but know technology has advanced.

How does Anywhere get a input to a big screen TV?

Thanks AZ. My upload speed where the hopper is at is 5 meg. I have an old Slingbox and it works, but know technology has advanced.

How does Anywhere get a input to a big screen TV?
There are a few ways, but, I access on my iPad and then mirror it through an Apple TV device... I have 6 Up and it works just fine when I am on the road.

I use Apple AirPlay from my iPhone to an Apple TV when I'm on the road and it works great. I have 20 megabits upload capability but according to the app it maxes out at about 7 megabits being sent by the Hopper, so it should send at max res if you have 7-8 megabits of upload or more...

On a 65" TV, don't expect 1080i/p quality. You will see a lot of compression artifacts, I watch it on a 40" TV in our FL home. It's very acceptable, but not crisp and clean, compared to watching from a Dish receiver.

Well, DA is NOT designed to watch on a TV, for obvious reasons. However, here are 3 ways one can do it in order of least expensive on up:

1. Well, while it is not from your Hopper, you do have credentials to access many channels via devices like Roku, and they often provided a live feed as well as several shows on demand, especially recent episodes of current shows.

2. Access and control DA from a mobile device like a tablet with MIRRORING function. That stream on your mobile device will be sent to a connnected device like a Roku or FireTV or HD/UHD TV or even a TiVo. However, while the PQ is somewhat watchable, I would not call it "Good" quality, but lots better than nothing and good enough of one is not picky about PQ, like many I know. This is because the quality of the stream is for your MOBILE device and then the mobile sends it to the connected device. It is NOT like "casting" like say YouTube because in that technology, the mobile device tells the connected device the URL, and then the connnected device makes a direct connection to the source and results in high quality. Not so for "Mirroring."

3. IRONICALLY, get yourself a Slingbox and a FireTV. Now you will have really good quality PQ, even in slow speed/low bandwidth situations. Only FireTV has the latest and fully working SlingPlayer app (Free). I use it quite a bit. You can get, if not STUNNING HD PQ, at least GOOD quality HD that will make you think you are at home. You can access EVERYTHING from your Hopper--UNLIKE DA that cannot access connected HDD's nor use of the PIP functions. Anything you can do at home, you can do with a Slingbox.

I let my relatives use my FireTV to view local KTLA when it was not available during negotiations. My upstream is a mere 4Mbps MAX (but we both have 60Mbps downstream). Well, I set them up with my Slingbox at home with my LOUSY 4Mbps, and it streamed via internet to their 55" UHDTV. It takes a few minutes of playback for the Slingbox to adjust the encoding for best results on the network, but after about 4 minutes, we were all STUNNED at how BEAUTIFUL the picture was, and I mean color and detail, etc. It looked just as good as when they view it on Dish, although I could not compare, but the point is that they did NOT consider it a diminished experience at all. Slingbox has the best propriatary encoding that adapts for great PQ and stability (not freezing or pixels).

Franlky, if it were me, and I wanted FULL control and best PQ to enjoy what a big screen TV had to offer in viewing experience, I would go with Slingbox and FireTV, easily the best solution for extended stays where you want to enjoy TV just like at home. The audio is
Stereo only, but the picture is HiDef if using the COMPONENT connections. Just be certain to connect your Dish box using the COMPONENT cables--NOT THE HDMI. HDMI has content protection and it won't pass along many, many channels and recordings, but COMPONENT is HD and everything will be passed on and streamed.

Let us know what you decide.

3. IRONICALLY, get yourself a Slingbox and a FireTV. Now you will have really good quality PQ, even in slow speed/low bandwidth situations. Only FireTV has the latest and fully working SlingPlayer app (Free). I use it quite a bit. You can get, if not STUNNING HD PQ, at least GOOD quality HD that will make you think you are at home. You can access EVERYTHING from your Hopper--UNLIKE DA that cannot access connected HDD's nor use of the PIP functions. Anything you can do at home, you can do with a Slingbox.

I let my relatives use my FireTV to view local KTLA when it was not available during negotiations. My upstream is a mere 4Mbps MAX (but we both have 60Mbps downstream). Well, I set them up with my Slingbox at home with my LOUSY 4Mbps, and it streamed via internet to their 55" UHDTV. It takes a few minutes of playback for the Slingbox to adjust the encoding for best results on the network, but after about 4 minutes, we were all STUNNED at how BEAUTIFUL the picture was, and I mean color and detail, etc. It looked just as good as when they view it on Dish, although I could not compare, but the point is that they did NOT consider it a diminished experience at all. Slingbox has the best propriatary encoding that adapts for great PQ and stability (not freezing or pixels).

Franlky, if it were me, and I wanted FULL control and best PQ to enjoy what a big screen TV had to offer in viewing experience, I would go with Slingbox and FireTV, easily the best solution for extended stays where you want to enjoy TV just like at home. The audio is
Stereo only, but the picture is HiDef if using the COMPONENT connections. Just be certain to connect your Dish box using the COMPONENT cables--NOT THE HDMI. HDMI has content protection and it won't pass along many, many channels and recordings, but COMPONENT is HD and everything will be passed on and streamed.

Let us know what you decide.

Which Slingbox do you recommend? I want to ditch a Joey from my bonus room and use the FireTV stick I already have with the SlingPlayer app.

I can cast from my Win10 laptop to my cheapy TCL Roku 4K TV wirelessly. Just hold down the Windows key and "P" at the same time. Choose "project to another device wirelessly" and choose the receiving device from the list. I believe this used to be called "Miracast".

PQ is good, but the application can be a little wonky. Crashes fairly regularly (around once an hour or so) requiring a re-connect. Haven't really researched much to try and get it more stable as it's not something I use a lot.

Reactions: TheKrell
Which Slingbox do you recommend? I want to ditch a Joey from my bonus room and use the FireTV stick I already have with the SlingPlayer app.
I have the Sling 500....hate the shape of it, but works killer inside my network and outside...
I buy all sport packages, and when im at one of the gals homes they have fire sticks works great....The one has a 65" TV and the picture is very good...

Yes, I have Slingbox 500's because it can allow for two devices connected at the same time (one HDMI and the other either Component or Composite connection with LR analog audio), but you select which one you want to Sling and view or select the other. I've had no issues with the 500's and they do allow for on screen set-up. However the 500 is pretty expensive. The Slingboxes currently still sold and supported are Slingbox 500, and the M2. I believe the M1 is still supported but no longer sold, and the same for the 300. The M1 and M2 were created as a replacement for the 300. The 500 and M2 are the only Slingboxes sold today, so I would stick with either one of those. Any of the other boxes are considered legacy and are no longer supported, but people still sell them on fleabay.

Slingbox 500: select one of 2 devices to Sling and watch one at a time (1HDMI and 1 component OR 1 composite). It is a larger piece of equipment with a top that is NOT flat.

Slingbox M2: 1 device either component OR composite. Smaller piece of equipment like a small square with a flat top.

Slingbox M1: connections Same as M2 above.

Go to the Slingbox website to see these boxes and learn more.

While DA accesses the sat box as if one were using a Joey and not take over a box at home one is watching, only one person may Sling from the same Slingbox at a time. The Slingbox device works by taking control of your STB at home just as if you were in the room watching. This means that no one can use that sat box while someone is Slinging the content because they would interfere with each others experience.

The plan is to become a snowbird in southern Nevada during the winter months. I will have access to a 50 or 150 meg internet. Also plan to be able to get OTA locals from Las Vegas. But in the process of "cutting the cable" how viable is to use DishAnywhere to provide access to many of the Dish "cable" channels.

I need to test DA with a high resolution tablet and HDMI out like the Nvidia Shield K1)

It should work well. I know my son uses it for games with good resolution. I need to set up DA on it at some point. Just haven't had a chance since he got the tablet.

I don't know about Apple devices.

I think a laptop with HDMI out would be the best option though.

mini PC? Never really messed with them but the few I looked at for HT use a while back were more expensive.

But plenty of used laptops/netbooks that would do the task for $100 or less. There's a Lenovo X130E on eBay now for $55 that should be more than sufficient for running/displaying DA.

Also Display Port (full or mini connector) can easily be converted to HDMI, again found on many used laptops that aren't expensive.
My daughter's T420 has a Display Port connector and I've seen some for $100.

I live in Oregon. I have an old DVR (Dish 622?) and plan to upgrade to a Hopper (3?).

The plan is to become a snowbird in southern Nevada during the winter months. I will have access to a 50 or 150 meg internet. Also plan to be able to get OTA locals from Las Vegas. But in the process of "cutting the cable" how viable is to use DishAnywhere to provide access to many of the Dish "cable" channels. Is it just as easy to use a Roku and get many channels because it outputs to a HD 65 inch screen?

Also, if I download the recorded programs using the Hopper, or "watch live" can I get the output to a HD 65 inch screen, or am I limited to a iphone, ipad, or computer?

Birkoff, There are a lot of confusing answers to your question. There is no need to get a sling box if you go to a Hopper 3, it has the sling function built in.

During the March madness basketball playoffs we were at a location in the hills near Sweethome Oregon with no over the air signals available that carried the games and a very poor internet connection (.25 to 2.5 Mbs). Using the HDMI output of my laptop and dishanywhere we were able to feed a projector and watch a couple of the Saturday games. The picture quality varied from average to good depending on the load on the Wi-Fi router. The signal was watchable blown up to a 80" projected picture with occasional digital breakups.

When using dishanywhere with a better Wi-Fi (25 MBS) connection the picture is as good as Netflix, Amazon Prime, or any of the other streaming services. Having access to live TV or DVR recorded shows from your home Hopper 3 is very handy.

I need to test DA with a high resolution tablet and HDMI out like the Nvidia Shield K1)

It should work well. I know my son uses it for games with good resolution. I need to set up DA on it at some point. Just haven't had a chance since he got the tablet.

I don't know about Apple devices.

I think a laptop with HDMI out would be the best option though.
If the DA solution works well for you, then that is fine. I have to add that sometimes DA will refuse to work on various of my mobile devices--and it is NOT a case of too many devices linked to the DA account. The DA will refuse to work or load for the ENTIRE DAY. DA is known to be BUGGY (as is TiVo Stream, but even WORSE than the DA). So, that is when I may have to use my Slingbox that ALWAYS works for me. I would NOT DEPEND on DA working whenever you want at your remote location, so have a back-up like Netflix or Amazon when DA will refuse to cooperate. Please see the many complaints about DA on this forum. I would say that for me, DA is 90% reliable (still pretty good for me); Slingbox has been 100% reliable.

Why I use both DA and Slingbox: I use DA in 4 of our family's mobile devices because it also provides for TRANSFERRING DVR recordings to the mobile device. I use Slingbox for my PC's or as back up when DA seems broken for the day. This keeps it so that our mobile devices are never bumped when I want to watch my Hopper on a PC.

I also should add that while only ONE person can stream from one Slingbox at a time, and it allows you to pick which Slingbox (if you have more than one) to Sling from, but I have each Slingbox with its own account (meaning email address and password), so others don't accidentally access the Slingbox I use for my Hopper.

Good luck.

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)