DishAnywhere How good? How about to a big screen?

DishSubLA,

Interesting. I've only ever used DA a few times on my laptop and tablet.

I just meant that I had been meaning to try it with a better display. I don't even have a cable to attach to a TV. Have an older phone but never used the cable and my son's new tablet (Christmas) but he's 200 miles away for school. (He says it works well for games)

My home and H3 are in Ohio but I work a lot and have a condo in Florida. I've had great luck using DA through an Apple TV 3. There is even an option to select to output to the Apple TV on the same internal network. My home upload speed is about 2mbs and generally there are no issues. The only thing is that the buggy DA app will freak out if you try to do something like use the fast forward or skip 30 seconds arrows in which case 8 times out of 10 it will either lock up or the sound will be out of sync with the picture.

So if I want to watch a show, I just bring up DA on my iPad and stream it to the Apple TV and live through the commercials. If I leave it alone, I get some very good PQ. But I have to agree, they threw out the DA app and I think no one is at home at Dish to maintain it or fix some of the connectivity issues.

I am happy with DA. Reliable for me. But I pause between each skip ahead and never push more than five times without allowing it to catch up first.

DishSubLA,

I just meant that I had been meaning to try it with a better display. I don't even have a cable to attach to a TV. Have an older phone but never used the cable and my son's new tablet (Christmas) but he's 200 miles away for school. (He says it works well for games)
Well, I have to say that I am overall "satisfied" with DA and use it often, and that is how I've come across the occasional bad day or sometimes just a few hours of refusal to load or it loads, but refuses to play live TV or refuses to play DVR or refuses to playback transfers. I got the Slingbox for my TiVo's as TiVo Stream is far, far worse than DA. So , I have both a TiVo and my Hopper connected to the Slingbox I use. I do like DA, but it does have a few limitations in comparison to using a Slingbox:
No Picture in Picture; no access to external HDD (on our wish list, but likely never to happen), and the UI is EXACTLY as at home; DA has its own UI that is not always as intuitive compared to the exactly at home experience of Slingbox.

For example, I prefer the Hopper EPG UI; I don't like the guide presented in DA. I prefer the DVR UI just as it is at home; DA's DVR UI is less intuitive and sometimes confusing and not always responsive. I admit to being a bit thrown off balance by having my dusty brain change to do things the DA UI way when I can do things EXACTLY the same way my brain is already used to using Slingbox. Also, the really big value of DA is that you can transfer recordings to mobile devices, so you can watch content without need of internet connections. That is something a Slingbox can not do.

The DA technology for streaming and the Slingbox technology for streaming are the SAME because Echostar, who own Sling Media, use it in Slingboxes and in their sister company Dish for DA. So, there is going to be the same robust high quality of PQ in even slow internet connections, and in most cases it is the slow upstream that is challenging not the fast downstream speed.

Of course, Dish and Echostar just finished a restructuring of the companies and patents it owns, so Sling may now be under Dish for all I know at this point.

Summary: DA is good and presents a single point from where one can watch live, DVR, or provides portholes to various content providers for which you have access related to your Dish package, but DA is a very complex site with a lot of enhancements that, IMHO, can sometimes cause a break down here and there. Sometimes, it is a bit OVERWHELMING, but I've gotten used to it.

Slingbox is the always seems to work option if one just wants to watch TV at a remote location EXACTLY the same experience as if at home controlling the Dish/cable box. You have ALL the same access to menus, content, VOD, etc just like sitting at home. Also, I believe DA is still limited to ONE stream to a device at a time as is Slingbox.

Hope that clears things up.

DishSubLA,

Interesting info. Most isn't applicable to me as I don't have a Hopper (two 211s and a 211k, soon to be 3x 211k) or Slingbox but interesting none the less.

I really like Dishanywhere, much better than the Directv options, FWIW. I travel a lot, and part of my travel bag is a very long HDMI cable. With that, I watch TV in hotels directly from our Hopper 3 at home, just as if I was in front of the TV at home, i.e. watching live TV or programs on DVR. PQ is "good" most of the time - not WOW super, but usually at least as good as what it showing on the hotel TV source. Of course, the TVs in hotels these days are usually not 60" . ;)

DishSubLA,

Keep in mind only ONE person at a time can stream using DA unless you have a 2nd Hopper; then that 2nd Hopper counts to allow a second person to stream while another also streams.

So, if your son is on the same account as you, then you will not be able to use DA to stream live or from DVR recordings if your son or anyone else is streaming from DA, unless you have a 2nd Hopper on the same account.

The quality of the DA--and this applies to almost any other such situation or product--will depend upon if you are having it stream from the home location to the connected device as opposed to MirroCasting DA from your tablet or phone. If you Mirror(Cast) from a mobile device, then it will display on your HDTV at the resolution for your mobile device, and this means a diminished resolution and PQ on the HDTV.

Good luck, again.

No Hopper involved. He wouldn't be uding my account, I'd just be testing with his tablet since it has HDMI out.

Might convince me to get a new tablet.

My past experiences with screen casting leave much to be desired (even with a high resolution device, 1920x1080, higher res than my 720p display). Just thinking about a physical cable connecting them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)