Dishnetwork satellite angles

norris_watkins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2006
I have an 811 HD receiver. But I was not subscribing to any of their HD programming.
They said it is not possible for me to activate any HD programming as this is an older Mpeg2 model.

So I decided to purchase a vip211 for 200$ from ebay.
I have a superdish and a seperate one covering satellites at angles 61.5, 110, 119 & 121.

When I checked lyngsat, I saw that dish has the same HD channels coming from both 129 and 61.5.
Since I dont have a dish pointing to 129, Im not sure if I will be able to get HD programming using vip211 even if I purchase it.

1. Which satellite is the mpeg4 HD coming from.
( If it is 129, then I will have to spend an additional 200$ for the new dish, switch, installation etc. )

2. Also all I want is ESPNHD and ESPN2HD for the upcoming world cup soccer. Is there any way I can get these on my 811 ?

Thanks for reading

--nw

Your 61.5 dish will pick up any national HD channels that are on 129 - so you'll be fine there.

Go to www.dishchannelchart.com and you can see where all of the HD channels are, what satellites they are on, and whether they are MPEG 2 or 4. (They start in the 9400's)

I believe ESPN is MPEG-2, however ESPN2HD may be MPEG-4.

HD national is the same on 61.5 and 129. It kind of depends on where in the US you live. Where do you live? You may have to use the 129 for HD locals.

I think the world cup is on NBC also.

Thank you very much for the immediate response :
I live in Atlanta.
Thank you very much for the http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ link. Very useful.

1. As per this site most of the HA channels are telecast from both 61.5 and 129. Are these region specific ( some regions will get it through 61.5 whereas some other will get it through 129 ). I mean why would they have the exact same channels telecast through two satellite *if both are Mpeg2 or mpeg4*
2. Also this site has specifically written for mpeg2 cases ( ESPN High Definition (MPEG-2) ). But many of them have no specifications at all. Eg :- What is ESPN2 HD. Is it mpeg2 or mpeg4.

Thanks once again for the great responses
--nw

norris_watkins said:
2. Also this site has specifically written for mpeg2 cases ( ESPN High Definition (MPEG-2) ). But many of them have no specifications at all. Eg :- What is ESPN2 HD. Is it mpeg2 or mpeg4.
Don't know if ESPN2 is MPEG2 or 4, but I'm pretty sure you need the MPEG4 reciever to get it.

norris_watkins said:
1. As per this site most of the HA channels are telecast from both 61.5 and 129. Are these region specific ( some regions will get it through 61.5 whereas some other will get it through 129 ). I mean why would they have the exact same channels telecast through two satellite *if both are Mpeg2 or mpeg4*

Thanks once again for the great responses
--nw

Most folks on the East Coast can't see the 129 satellite very well, so we use the 61.5 satellite for reception. It's all based on angles. Basically if you had two grocery stores to go to - you'd use the one closest to you - not the one 5 miles away. :D

I believe you will need 129 for the Atlanta HD locals from satellite. You could swing your 61.5 dish around to 129 to get the national and local HD. Espn 2 HD is only viewable on vip receivers( 211,411, and 622).

Sorry to keep on asking questions:
I need teh 61.5 for the Sky Angel package.
I have good reception on my 61.5 satellite.
Do you think I will be able to receive all the HD channels that come with the HD bronze package, if I buy a vip211 myself.
Im not interested in HD locals, as Im already receiving them through my UHF antenna mounted in the attic

Thank you again
--nw

norris_watkins said:
Sorry to keep on asking questions:
I need teh 61.5 for the Sky Angel package.
I have good reception on my 61.5 satellite.
Do you think I will be able to receive all the HD channels that come with the HD bronze package, if I buy a vip211 myself.
Im not interested in HD locals, as Im already receiving them through my UHF antenna mounted in the attic

Thank you again
--nw

Since you don't want HD Locals, you do not need 129. 61.5 is fine. After you add the HD Package, then ask to have the HD channels activated on the 811. You will not see all them, but those available on 811 will be able to be turned on after the 211 is active.

Great garys:
I just finished activating my vip 211 I bought from Fry's
I thought their 249$ is a good price compared to buying it from ebay for 210 + shipping.
Im getting all channels expected. Plus voom although Im not paying for it ( dont know how long it will last )

By the way it turns out ( most of you folks probably know this already ) both 811 and vip211 have built in smart cards although they have a card slot in front.

Im a bit disappointed that vip211 does not work with the 6.0 IR/UHF remotes.

Im planning to buy one more plasma in the next couple of weeks. I will then activate the 811 receiver as well. Hopefully I will receive some of the HD channels

Overall Im very happy, thank you very very much folks. I owe a big one to this group.

--nw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)