Disney Slate and HDCP?

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
722k with Top 200. I'm getting HDCP errors for all of the Disney channels (everything from ESPN to Disney Jr). Anyone else having this issue?

HDCP is enabled on all Disney and ESPN channels. You can try resetting the HDMI connection, replace the cable, different inout on the TV to get it to work. If this does not, you will need to use component cables.

How are you hooked up to the TV?
:oops: Duh... sorry, that'd be important for an HDCP issue. I am using HDMI from the 722k to the TV, and it is a straight line (box to tv). I have a HDMI switch for my other HDMI input on the TV. I haven't had any problem with HBO up to now, when I've received it.

HDCP is enabled on all Disney and ESPN channels. You can try resetting the HDMI connection, replace the cable, different inout on the TV to get it to work. If this does not, you will need to use component cables.
Thanks for the quick response DIRT. I'll try those troubleshooting methods. Has anything changed with HDCP in the last few days? We hadn't had any problems with any of these channels.

This is interesting. Did the reset. No change.

Switched the HDMI cable I was using. No change.

Switched the HDMI cable input I was using. No change...

...wait... when both HDMI cables were unplugged I was getting audio through the receiver for the Disney channel. When I plugged the cable in for Dish it kept playing, but the TV was set to the other HDMI input. When I switched the TV input for the new HDMI location, the audio cut out. So, if I'm not trying to watch the channel, I can hear it fine via the receiver (optical connection). But once I try watching it, the audio cuts out. I'm pretty certain this is being caused by quantum mechanics as visual observation is changing the outcome.

So while I wait for Stephan Hawking to return my call, is this a TV or 722k issue? It is a Vizio, probably 4 (5?) years old? The problem only started today.

Reactions: TheKrell
Do a little research on what HDCP actually is and you might find out what your issue is. I'm assuming your having issues because of the HDMI switch.

Without looking it up, HDCP is a method of copyright control that requires a certain digital hand shake to occur between the device sending a visual signal and a screen. It was developed in a poor attempt to prevent people from file sharing via plugging such content into something that can record it. Hollywood is silly like that, think that would stop people.

Not using the switch for Dish (that'd obviously be the first suspect). That is for the laptop / blu-ray / roku. HDCP hadn't been a problem up to this point for me, including HBO.

Suppose I'm lucky I have component to switch too. Still curious what the cause of the trouble is.

Could likely just be the handshake between the TV and the receiver. A lot of the time, resetting both TV and receiver will bring it back. If you get the Vizio model number you can research that online under specs to verify it is HDCP compliant.

Embarrassingly enough, turning off the tv made the difference. Should have been one of the first things to try.

Embarrassingly enough, turning off the tv made the difference. Should have been one of the first things to try.
You are experiencing the vagaries of HDCP and how it can screw-up--AT ANY TIME--the best of chains from source to input, and yes, your TV was, in this case, the point of HDCP mayhem. As was suggested, please do research HDCP on your own to discover how switches, AVR's, TV's, and, specifically Vizio products, can create problems. Keep in mind that HDCP only likes for ONE stream to be going to any point or that the audio of a split HDCP will output/downmix stereo to only on one of those outputs while the other is unaffected. Please do some research to save yourself headaches and FIX any problem that comes your way that is most often HDCP, and yes, all can go well for years and then start not functioning well all of a sudden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts