Do you think, that someday, maybe in the distant future that satellite will carry all subchannels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I doubt it as well. The satellite companies do not want to put up hundreds of channels of the same content, and the channels themselves don't want them to put up one national feed of their channel because the commercials shown have a number which is different for each station which is how the stations make money on the subchannels.

won't happen. Not enough room on spotbeams and Scott already gave other reasons

While most of the commercials on the subchannels are the same across the board there are spots for local inserts. I know in Minneapolis (Antenna, Me, This and LiveWell are on subchanels of the co-owned ABC & Independent station) they cross promote. So you'll see ads for ABC on MeTV. In Duluth they do the same thing. The only subchannel is MeTV and they show ads for ABC shows on WDIO 10

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Well said Juan :)

I was in Los Angeles this weekend and I was stunned to see the number of local channels carried by DirecTV. There were even a couple of PBS subchannels labeled as a -2. It's too bad we can't have just the popular sub-channels (such as MeTV and AntennaTV), but then it gets into the "cherry picking" argument which creates more re-trans issues. If only "TVLand" held to its original premise, we may have been enjoying some of those classic shows already.

RFD Rural TV is the new TVLand.

Demand for the subchannels are not enough for them to add them all.

Agreed about Me TV. A few of my converts from OTA have mentioned they would miss that one and a few other subs. Having said that, I've visited family in another market (can't remember which family member) that did have a few of the subs branded as actual locals. I guess if the broadcasters are willing to strike a deal, it could be possible with some of the subs, but bandwidth is incredibly limited these days.

some markets use MeTV (and other subchannels like ThisTV or Soul of the South) as fill in programming on a "main" station like MyNetwork.
If its a -1 station (and not low powered) it does qualify for must carry

There were even a couple of PBS subchannels labeled as a -2.
Minneapolis is like that. They have the "Minnesota Channel" (which is a PBS subchannel) listed as 17-2. Its MPEG4 so you need a HD receiver
Duluth has the same station (all PBS in MN & ND have it) yet Minneapolis is the only market Directv carries.

Duluth has CW (which is a subchannel OTA here) on Directv. They have it as channel 7 if I recall

Minneapolis is like that. They have the "Minnesota Channel" (which is a PBS subchannel) listed as 17-2. Its MPEG4 so you need a HD receiver
Duluth has the same station (all PBS in MN & ND have it) yet Minneapolis is the only market Directv carries.

Duluth has CW (which is a subchannel OTA here) on Directv. They have it as channel 7 if I recall

My former DMA had -2 for PBS... UNC TV. UNC HD is xx-1 and UNC Explorer is xx-2. Some transmitrers OTA, those with two transmitrers in the DMA, have it switched so Dish will carry both. Ironically, OTA, UNC kids is xx-2 which makes it show up weird with the AM21.

My new DMA has NBC on 5 and 31 and CW on 5-2. So Directv and Dish both carry the exact same thing on 5 and 31. WPTZ and WNNE should put CW on 31-1 and NBC HD on 31-2 so CW would be on Directv.

Vermont PBS has 4 subchannels and 4 full power transmitters in the DMA. I wonder if they'll ever mix them up so all are on satellite.

Some of the OTA stations in DFW have five subchannels. KAXT in Santa Clara California has I believe 13(!) subchannels, plus several audio only
The problem is that it is cheap and easy for an OTA station to create subchannels. It's expensive for the satellite company to deliver it, because they have to treat each one as a separate SD channel.

The only reason I'd like satellite providers to carry all subchannels, is for when you "move" and that way could get all that markets channels, including the subchannels. Otherwise, yeah, get an antenna. Although some people can't always get antennas where they live, and indoor ones aren't always the best. I was just lucky enough that my apartment landlord (the apartment is in a house-like building) let me put a large outdoor antenna on the roof (and I also have my satellite dish on the ground). He charges way too much for rent, but how many landlords are willing to do that? When I have the money, I also plan to get an outdoor hi-def AM/FM long-range antenna, and a SiriusXM antenna. And then my setup will be complete.

I doubt it as well. The satellite companies do not want to put up hundreds of channels of the same content, and the channels themselves don't want them to put up one national feed of their channel because the commercials shown have a number which is different for each station which is how the stations make money on the subchannels.

You are very wrong, typical person who did not research the issue, the fact there is already one channel COZI TV that has a national feed on DISH NETWORK.... DIRECTV REFUSED THAT CHANNEL & ALL THE OTHER SUB-CHANNELS

ANTENNA TV

BOUNCE TV

DECADES

ESCAPE TV

FROST GREAT OUTDOORS

GET TV

GRIT TV

HEARTLAND TV

ION TV - ION LIFE - QUBO

ME-TV

MOVIES!

PBJ

RETRO TV

THE FAMILY CHANNEL

THIS TV

TUFF TV

ZUUS COUNTRY

You are very wrong, typical person who did not research the issue, the fact there is already one channel COZI TV that has a national feed on DISH NETWORK....

try again. Dish carries a channel called FE-TV which happens to have some programming from Cozi on it

Reactions: ejb1980
A national feed of the subchannels would be okay, but would be difficult to deal with all station owners for lost local ad revenue, although you have to think said revenue would be minimal. WeatherNation made it work. Where I live now, the only "subchannels" I have are MeTV, Create, PBS World (twice... on WETK-4 and WCFE-3), MHz World, and Cozi TV (thanks to "moving" to Boston where Cozi is a primary.) My market (Burlington VT) has SD duplicates of ABC and Fox OTA... Get subchannels, WVNY and WFFF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)