Does certain types of RG6 Coaxial cable....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kykernel123

Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I'm running a second line into my Direct TV DVR receiver. Does it really matter what type of RG6 cable you run from Satellite outside and into your house? I just don't want to spend uneccesarily unless I have to. At the same time I don't want this to effect my picture quality as well. I need to know what type and where I need to buy my coaxial cable for running a line from the satellite outside and into my house.

**I've noticed Ebay has coaxial RG6 the cheapest, but not sure if I can trust it.

**Also, by the way I am not burying the cable, but just tucking it under my siding of my house from my Dish to the point of entry into the house (about 50 feet run before it enters the house).

RG6 for use with Satellite should have a minimum 60% aluminum braid and swept tested to 2250 MHz. These stats should be printed right on the jacket of the cable.

kykernel123 said:
I'm running a second line into my Direct TV DVR receiver. Does it really matter what type of RG6 cable you run from Satellite outside and into your house? I just don't want to spend uneccesarily unless I have to. At the same time I don't want this to effect my picture quality as well. I need to know what type and where I need to buy my coaxial cable for running a line from the satellite outside and into my house.

**I've noticed Ebay has coaxial RG6 the cheapest, but not sure if I can trust it.

**Also, by the way I am not burying the cable, but just tucking it under my siding of my house from my Dish to the point of entry into the house (about 50 feet run before it enters the house).

Almost any RG6 cable that you buy on eBay would be fine. A lot of it is even a lot better than the cheap cable that a lot of "free" fulfillment installers use. The cable sold is often surplus or leftovers form the cable companies. They now use at least 60% tri shielded cable.

Make sure you get a coax grounding block if you don't have a spare connection on your current one.

Be careful of the cable company leftovers. While they usually purchase some quality stuff, their system needs do not exceed 1000 MHz.

CablerMN said:
Be careful of the cable company leftovers. While they usually purchase some quality stuff, their system needs do not exceed 1000 MHz.

I've never had problems with RG6 that has been supposedly swept to 1000Mhz. I've installed over 500 DishPro systems. I've found that some of the low end swept to 2200 Mhz to have problems.

Remember "single sided" floppy dish. They worked perfectly on both sides, but were checked by the factory just for one side. They came off of the same line with one side checked.

The same is true with sweep test. All brand name stuff made by Belden, Commscope, Amphenol, and others is fine for even a SuperDish.

You will have many more problems with bad or substandard connectors. Snap-N-Seal compression connectors are the industry standard.

Mike500: Glad to hear you haven't had any problems.

However, my customer's deserve better then gambling with MSO leftovers or chance cabling that hasn't been swept tested and has doesn't have a name brand like Commscope, especially in the case of DP installs. We have a reputation in the areas we serve and won't cheap out on a few cents per foot "because it will work". Heck I've even got RG59 dual in warehouse that I know would probably work just fine on shorter runs. It's got a lot of dust on it too. Kind of like a post here a month or so ago whereas someone was looking for 1k' spools of RG6 for 25.00.

I will agree with you on the crafting of connectors. SNS all the way with silicone sealant for outdoor use, however the majority of the MSOs in this state (elsewhere too?) use the Gilbert compression connectors at about half the price.

I only use brand name high quality UL CATV rated RG6.

The old Gilbert Ultraseal connectors were good, but since PPC sued them and won for patent infringement, they now make an inferior product called "Ultraease." Stay away from them.

Other than SNS, my favorite are the PPC EX-6 connectors.

Ppc Ex6

Mike500 said:
I only use brand name high quality UL CATV rated RG6.

The old Gilbert Ultraseal connectors were good, but since PPC sued them and won for patent infringement, they now make an inferior product called "Ultraease." Stay away from them.

Other than SNS, my favorite are the PPC EX-6 connectors.

Me too! I bought a few cases of the EX-6's & found that they are excellent connectors for the money, just modify a decent compression tool & Your ready for them. If You look at some of the connectors on the market today, You see some cost as much as 28 cents each, I can get the EX-6 for about a dime each. I was skeptical at first, then I thought why not test them. The test was to put high price connectors with a barrel between them on cable about 5 feet long, do the same for EX-6 connectors using the same prep tool for both. Then place the cable in a bucket of water for 7 days, guess what, the same results for both, no water in the splice for either cable.
:shocked

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts