Don't usually do this...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You're living in the past.
It should would be nice is Solid Signal showed some data to back that up. I do agree with their premise that with the use of MPEG4 that Dish no longer needs to change the resolution, but they may very well still be doing it. If they combine 1440 resolution and MPEG4, they gain even more space.

Just to be clear, 1440x1080i is all I've ever seen (on my TV, well, other than OTA*). I guess ignorance is bliss in that I don't know what I'm missing....

* Speaking of that, using my local CBS station as an example, when I flip between the satellite-delivered local and the OTA local, I can see something different. In all honesty, I can't say one is better than the other though, just different. In fact, if someone said to pick the one that's better, to my eyes, it would probably be the satellite-delivered.

Just to be clear, 1440x1080i is all I've ever seen (on my TV, well, other than OTA*). I guess ignorance is bliss in that I don't know what I'm missing.....

How do you know your TV is receiving 1440x1080i? My displays only show the standard atsc resolutions that would be broadcast ota, and 1080p.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think I am mistaken on that part about what my TV sees. Dish uses 1440x1080i resolution from their uplink center to the satellite(s) and then to our receivers (or least they do last we knew).
  • Does the receiver pass-through that 1440x1080i resolution or does it up-convert it internally before outputting it (to 1920x1080i) ?
If it does pass it through as-is, our TVs (at least 1080i/p models) will up-convert it.

Has anyone, anywhere, captured a stream from Dish, recently, to see what the actual resolution is ?

I don't know of anything outside of a PC that would supply 1440x1080i to our monitors. The monitors may very well handle it, but a conversion is made to match the screen's native resolution.

I still say the lossy compression and ultimately the allotted bandwidth is doing the most damage to PQ.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Does the receiver pass-through that 1440x1080i resolution or does it up-convert it internally before outputting it (to 1920x1080i)?
It upconverts (or downconverts) it internally. There is no setting available to give us what's actually received from the sats.

The satellite may stream 1440x1080i but the receiver converts this to 1920x1080i to work with most HD TVs.
If they gave only 1440 you would have non-square pixels or an incomplete screen fill.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)