Dropping Directv for Xfinity X1

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
although I still have a few months to go in my Directv commitment, I'm seriously thinking of switching. Actually I have an install appoitment set for the end of this month, so my Directv commitment charge will only be $40.

I currently have Directv with Genie and three mini's w/ HBO and my bill is 142, I already have Internet with Comcast and pay 45. I can get. Double Play with X1 with three additional tv's for 129 + tax. So it makes sense for the switch.

From what I remember, Comcast channel line up,was very confusing with standard channels and HD channels. Did the X1 fix this? Also, any recent converts from Directv to Xfinity? Thoughts? Regrets?

Bottom line is I have to bundle my TV and internet and will save about $40 a month so it might be worth the learning curve.

From what I remember Comcast would not budge when my last promo was up, that's why I switched back to Directv. Hopefully their customer service is better now. If only I could get Internet and Directv for the price of the Comcast triple play...

The new Comcast X1 DVR is very nice and it works well. Occasionally you'll hit a button when working on the menu and you'll get no response. I found out that you don't hit the button again. In a few seconds it will react and respond to both hits.

As for the channel line up, all of the lower channels are SD. Here in San Francisco the HD channels start at channel 701 and go up into the 800's. One nice feature that you can set is to have the DVR go to the HD channel for a station if it's available. So instead of hitting 707, for example, for channel 7. you just hit 7 and it'll go to 707 and give you the HD version.

I've been happy with my Comcast internet/TV Double Play package. Besides hundreds of TV channels I'm getting 58 Mb download speed!

I started with DirecTv when the first Satellite TiVo PVR came out. But, I am now a Comcast customer. Instead of getting the Comcast X1, I decided to get a Tivo Roamio Plus and three TiVo Minis. These cost me $857.00 DirecTv was costing me $116.00 per month for the XTRA package, DVR service, HD, Whole Home DVR, Protection Plan and 3 additional TV Sets. I was already using Comcast cable for $72.00 per month for Blast Plus Service.
New contract with Comcast is for 24 months and fixed price of $99.00 per month for the same 24 months (they offered a lower price for 12 months, but I didn't want to have my bill jump after 12 months and then be stuck for 12 months.)
Now I have Comcast Preferred package, DVR service (TiVo), HD (TiVo), Whole Home DVR (TiVo), HBO, StreamPix, and Blast! (125 MBps) for $104.00 (add tax, add credit for own equipment).
Saving $84 per month, so the TiVo purchase will be paid for in 11 months.

It took a solid month to get Comcast/TiVo working and billed correctly. Getting a TiVo Mini working is the worse part. Comcast on Demand, Netflix and Amazon Prime work well with the TiVo Roamio. I can also stream shows to my iPad and cell phones which is another plus.
I have lost Fox Sports 2 (a favorite channel) and MAVTV.. Also, DIY is not HD, Only one HBO is in HD, but movies on the other HBO channels are available in HD when viewed with Xfinity On Demand.

So for now, a happy Comcast customer. In two years...

Your lucky to get locked in two years. With the promotion I'm getting, it's 89 for a year with the first year the X1 being $7 and three other tv's being $9.95 each for a total of 126 or something. Don't know what the primary DVR will be after the first year? I actually switched from Directv to Comcast when a salesman knocked on my door. Because I was a Directv customer, he gave me every channel with no modem/router charges. After the first year it went up $20, after year 2 it jumped to $240 a month.

Comcast wouldn't budge on the bill to get me to stay, not credits, just wanted me to drop the premium channels to lower my bill. If the same happens this time, and I'm sure it will, I'll just go back to Directv I guess.

It really will suck since I have to keep Internet with Comcast since I have no other high speed options here in south Florida.

Comcast does have cheaper boxes if you only want HD in the other rooms, they now have the DTA boxes with HDMI output so you do get HD, just not DVR function, but they are only 2.99 a month instead of 9.95 a month.

Do these boxes pick up all the channels? From glancing at it I assumed they just get the locals. The price to add them is listing as $0 when I tried to add one to my order.

They get all the channels you pay for.

How do we see what the cancelation Fee for directv is? Im paying way too much for directv along with comcast for internet only. Like to see if 3 tvs with x 1 and internet will save me money over what im paying now.

Had Xfinity X1 installed Friday. I can't understand why the X1 bedroom boxes can't pick up 1080p. The main X1 allows the 1080P but the bedrooms only allow 1080i. This was confirmed by the installer. My Directv Genie and mini's all allowed 1080p. Xfinity is behind already?

Which model boxes do you have in your bedrooms?

I had the X1 package, so I Assume they are the X1 clients. I tried to adjust the display to 1080p while the installer was there and my TV went blank. He said that others have tried with same results and he know for a fact they don't get 1080p just 1080i. The main X1 DVR gets 1080p. I know for a fact my TV's on Directv were set to 1080p and the picture quality was amazing.

My directv Genie DVR and mini's all received 1080p.

I'll double check tonight but I'm almost positive both my client boxes are set to 1080P 60. They are both model PR150BNM, I think made by Pace.

The thing is, TV stations are 1080I only. On demand movies are 1080p. At least that is the way my directv is. Although I can tell directv my max resolution is 1080 p, it only displays in that when needed.

Understood. When I had Directv installed, the installer didn't set the resolution. I went awhile until I was poking around and set the correct resolution. It was night and day the difference in picture quality.

With the X1, it's hard to beleive the bedroom X1 clients don't support 1080p since that's a option to select in the display settings.

I have the Doubleplay..Prefered service with HBO and streampix included. STARZ free for 6 mos and SHO and MAX for 1 dollar a month for 2 years. Had to sign a contract. Also comes with Blast internet. With 2 HD boxes, everything, about 120.00 per month. I'm getting a 10.00 credit for 6 months because a rep told me the wrong price originally so they credited my bill. The nice thing about the contract is you have 30 days to change or get out of the contract at no charge. Also getting a 100.00 prepaid gift card. I also use OTA just in case the cable goes out, which it does here from time to time.

How do we see what the cancelation Fee for directv is? Im paying way too much for directv along with comcast for internet only. Like to see if 3 tvs with x 1 and internet will save me money over what im paying now.

I have to pay $60 since my two year contract is up on June 30. I loved Directv and now that I have the X1, wiphich is pretty good but not as good picture quality as Directv.

I havr the X1 satellite box in my bedroom and it allows me to do 1080P at 60hz. Try looking again and see what it gives you. If not, pure speculation on my part, maybe your TV only goes to 1080i or not supported in your area? I'm in Seattle. Hope that helps!

I havr the X1 satellite box in my bedroom and it allows me to do 1080P at 60hz. Try looking again and see what it gives you. If not, pure speculation on my part, maybe your TV only goes to 1080i or not supported in your area? I'm in Seattle. Hope that helps!

I wonder if johnml is trying to set the resolution on the TV instead of on the client receiver. I did check mine and both are set to output 1080P 60. Another possibility, is the TV 720P and won't accept 1080P?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts