DSR-920 Unit ID's for DCII and VCII + RS the same?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mclovin69

Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Washington State, USA
I just found a DSR-920 for $1.99, at the 2nd hand store. The unit ID is still there! However, it looks like there is a separate VCRS unit in there as well. How do I check that unit ID? I found the diagnostics menu for the DigiCipher module, but I can't check the VCII + RS (less of a concern but more likely dead - says manufactured june '93). Also, anyone have a tutorial on battery replacement for these? I'm just going to work on the thing hot. I've heard one day your unit ID could be there, another be gone. I can't really tell, but it looks like the battery in the VCRS module (Blue Cage) has a slightly smaller Maxell 3.6v lithium solder-tab battery on it. I see a couple of test pads, one is "Test" and "VBAT". These would be easily accessible through the cage with 30ga wire to provide temp power until I can get the thing out of the unit, apart, and new battery soldered on. Does anyone have any experience with this? Wish it was a 922, but hey, for $2 I can't complain.

There is a "VideoCipher configuration screen - press 9" but when I do, says "please tune to a VCRS channel". I don't even have a dish yet, why do I need to tune to a channel just to look at the unit ID of the VCRS module.

Are the UNIT ID's of the DCII and VCII+ RS the same? I'd highly doubt it, as the VCII+ RS is in a separate side-car cage. I will need to solder temp power to it before removing from the cage (is it a problem to remove with the receiver plugged in? Otherwise I will need to temp-power the receiver mobo (which has the DCII chips), and it's covered by the VCII + RS module.

Sorry for the wrong post, if someone could at least tell me how to check the VCRS unit ID, to see if it's even worth buying a battery for that unit (as VCRS isn't used much anymore) let me know. If they know of the "VBat" pin even better, easy access to temp power, with line cord plugged in so I can remove without the possibility of losing the unit ID.

You can't check the unit id of the VCRS module without a VC signal, and there aren't any. Remove that module and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Either that or build a time machine and jump back 20 years where it could be used.

I figured not. I've heard there's still some VC2 (+ RS) only leased to the cable company headends, so no use for home viewing, but I may just replace the battery in it anyway, in case someone has a use for it, or if some nostalgic technically inclined would like to dick around with a VC2 + RS.

Does anyone have a schematic or some sort of knowledge of the DSR-920? I'm going to have to replace that battery at least. It doesn't look like it has exploded yet, but I've seen many Comcast boxes 'give up the ghost' (they can be re-flashed by requesting an 'INT hit' from Customer Service, if they're on your account. I can figure out myself if need be, just less likely for a brain-fart if I'm checking continuity and mistake a GND for a +V terminal, short it out, watch my receiver go bye-bye then kick the crap out of myself. Going to have to remove the mobo to get to the other side, desolder the old battery, and solder in a new one.

I've seen other jobs of people just hooking an AA sized lithium up, cutting the tabs, and calling it good, but I'm an electronics tech that's rather perfectionist and anal. I like doing an OEM-style refurbishment.

Also, does anyone know what a JTAG is? It's basically an interface to program or test a device through your computer. Since I have written down my Unit ID, say it DOES get lost, has anyone backed up / re-flashed their NVRAM through JTAG?

I just picked up a DSR-920 for $2, and the Unit ID / Receiver ID is STILL THERE :)

However, I would like to replace the battery, as I've heard one day the Receiver ID could be there, one day it could die. Is there any technically inclined people in here? I am a Certified Electronics Electrician in my 2nd year of Electrical Engineering, so yes I know what I'm doing, and I'm apologizing in advance if I'm speaking 'Greek' to anyone.
First of all, is the unit ID for the DCII, and the VCII + RS the same? Someone told me VCII is no longer in use, but I've heard there are still some VCII + RS (Renewable Security) channels out there. The VCII + RS is a separate unit, in a blue cage, so I'd assume the Unit ID is different from the mainboard (DigiCipher 2) ID. Is there any way I can check the Unit ID on the VCII + RS module, so I can tell if it is dead or not? Says "Manufactured 1993" so I'd guess it'd be more likely to be dead, and why pay $8 for a battery to fix a dead module.

Is there any information (schematic, tutorial, etc) of the DSR-920 and/or VCII Battery Replacement? There is terminals in the VCII + RS for example, VBAT. Is this directly connected to the positive battery terminal? What I'll need to do is get some Kynar wire, solder 2 wires to temporary power locations through the vents, then remove the module.

Second, is there a pinheader or anything to supply temp power to the DSR-920 mainboard during battery replacement? It would be nice to not have to work on the unit HOT, though I will if I have to, but I have no idea if the "Ground" or "Negative" terminal of the battery is connected to the mains neutral, and my soldering station is grounded, so it would be quite of shame to watch my receiver go bye-bye on the operating table when I hit the positive with my iron.

If anyone knows a good tutorial, has a schematic of the DSR-920, or any knowledge/experience of battery replacement, please let me know!

Thanks!
-Rob

Seriously? Another thread in the wrong place for the same thing?

Forget the VCRS. Like a poster said in the other thread, unless you have a time machine it's useless. That was a good one. Time machine.

You should probably forget the 920 too, especially since you said you don't have a BUD. Even if you did what you can watch with a 920 is extremely limited. Extremely.

There must be some people who find these useful - perhaps for the Skyvision Programming - as a search on ebay yields four units that recently sold for around $100 each.:rolleyes:

920's? I better check the shed. :)

The programming from Skyvision is IMHO really high priced for a few 3rd rate channels.

Now if you're using it to drive a BUD for FTA that would be different.

Like everyone has stated there is no more VCII+ signals up there anymore. The Weather Channel had one a few months ago for some olde Weatherstar units at the cable headend, but it has since been ceased. Re-flashing or using a JTAG will do nothing. The unit needs a VCII+ signal to access the menus to display the unit ID, etc. This isn't Comcast and if let's say the battery is dead and has been dead for a while the unit ID is history, like the VCII technology. Keep it as a memento from the old days of analog C-Band subscription television.

Agree,, remove and discard the VCII RS board(cage). Replace the battery in the 920, if not already done recently, to keep the DCII unit ID number(if considering subscribing to what's left of the DCII channels available*) and/or use as a BUD mover/polarity control of a servo Polarotor or Corotor.
* Minimum dish size - 6ft. with 8 to 10ft a better option.

Also, the 920, i believe, will not power on unless the vc-2+ module is locked into its slot; as there is a switch back where the module seats into its connector. If the vc2+rs module is not seated well enough; or you do not hardwire the sw into the correct position; the 920 will not come up. I love to use any of the Moto paperweights; because they invented dc motor positioning power chips; not because moto no longer exists. The 920, 922 units also position and power up motors and count better than anything they make now. They also show any analog signal as a signal level. Position to a signal of its own kind or make. And are now the cable companies and all dbs carriers signals for most premium channels.

Also, the 920, i believe, will not power on unless the vc-2+ module is locked into its slot
wrong. It will power up just fine and can get into the menus regardless if the board is in there. I had a 920 and a 905 at one time and the 920 worked fine with no board (the 905 had no board as it was a DCII add on to an existing analog receiver)

Reactions: eurosport
If you were the only one that could speak in Russian; why did you choose Englandiar. Free To Air does not mean DST-920 DC-II or DST-922 DC-II+ or VC2+; and until you admit what Country you really work for and with; your forum will barely know what it is talking about.
wrong. It will power up just fine and can get into the menus regardless if the board is in there. I had a 920 and a 905 at one time and the 920 worked fine with no board (the 905 had no board as it was a DCII add on to an existing analog receiver)

Skyvision's programming isn't overpriced nor or they 3rd rate channels. For instance in their Pick 10 package you could get any 10 channels for about $20 a month with a yearly subscription. These 10 would make me and the wife happy. That's more watchable channels than my current 150 channel satellite subscription.

Cloo · Fox Movie Channel · FOX Sports 1 · FOX Sports 2 · Golf Channel · HGTV E · History E · Lifetime Movie Network · RFD TV · Turner Classic Movies

Reactions: kodaz and eurosport
Thanks for all the feedback. I have known what C/Ku band, VCII, DCII and NVRAM is, for many years, but I'm still a noob at getting into it (I don't even have a dish). I don't even watch much TV, but for my family who has 5 acres and a place for a dish, maybe I could set it up there. I've heard several things (though I'm not sure what's true or not), such as you can get the horseracing backhauls (I bet they're somewhat crypted but some said FTA), there are some FTA DCII channels (makes no sense). This would definitely be a project to get set up, but well worth the while.

I'm tired of Comcast (their INTERNET, yes, the best you can get here), their TV, get you with charges like "oh you have an HD box, and you want to USE IT? That'll be $10/mo", etc. They called me the other day "we've seen you've been a customer for over a decade and have some special offers", reword for "you've been on this plan at a fixed price for many years, so if you're interested in bending over we can go ahead and take care of that for you", hah, get the bill in 12mo and go bankrupt, no thanks. I'm happy with my internet, and all I watch is football games on the local stations.

However the big birds sound way more interesting, I'm a tech-savvy person so hunting around for feeds, etc would be a hobby. Anyone know or have a Motorola HDD-200 sidecar decoder? Seems as it works with the 920s and 922s. Is it true the 920s can't get all the channels that the 922s do? I thought HDD-200 didn't work on the 920, but I've seen somewhere online that it does.

Skyvision's programming isn't overpriced nor or they 3rd rate channels. For instance in their Pick 10 package you could get any 10 channels for about $20 a month with a yearly subscription. These 10 would make me and the wife happy. That's more watchable channels than my current 150 channel satellite subscription.

Cloo · Fox Movie Channel · FOX Sports 1 · FOX Sports 2 · Golf Channel · HGTV E · History E · Lifetime Movie Network · RFD TV · Turner Classic Movies
AWESOME! So, if you don't watch much TV you can pick what you want and ditch the crap you don't. Is there a lot of FTA channels out there? I'll do the research myself, just busy with school. Wanted to get the battery replaced in this unit ASAP, as I've seen them on sale on EBay for at least $70 so $2 is a good find. Don't want to lose that DCII number though. I'll get into actually hooking it up later :)

I agree, don't worry about the VCII+RS then. I already bought a battery for it, so I will probably try to temp power it / replace it first for practice. I'm in Electronics Engineering so I may find a use for it someday, or just as a museum to demonstrate VCII, NTSC sync suppression / Color burst shifting, or DES. Maybe hook it up to a logic analyzer and dick around with it (well kind of hard without a VCII stream), or use it as a doorstop.

As far as the time machine goes, I'm 32, if I could go back to the 90s for just 24 hours, boy that would be fun. The good old days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)