DVR delay due to lack of content?

Andrew B

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 31, 2004
Rescue, CA
Just a thought. Perhaps they are waiting to get more HD content before releasing the DVR. Think about it for a moment. Most of the programs on the Cinema 10 channels repeat over and over. Once we have our DVRs, they will only need to show a movie a few times a month and we will all have a chance to watch it or record it for later.
Once we DO have our DVRs, how many folks will complain that they are showing the Matt Helm movies AGAIN... (oh, and get more stuff on FU while you are at it!!!!) Just a crazy thought...

Aside from the repeats, and lack of a DVR, I absolutely LOVE my VOOM! Can't wait for my 24" dish upgrade later this month...

Andrew

Except there are enough other channels to record from, all the other HD channels-(Discovery, TNT, Universal, etc) Premium Movie Channels and, of course, the Networks.

Remember, the biggest thing people use a DVR for is time-shifting network programing.

I have a HD-DVR ( 6412 thru Comcast ) , and for one example, on Wednesdays at 8- Smallville is in HD on the WB and so is Lost( on ABC in HD ), since I have a dual tuner, I can record one program in HD while watching the other in HD using the same STB.

nope. People shell out $1000 for a hd directivo and how many channels do they have?

Maybe, just maybe, Dolan is too busy trying to keep Voom alive to worry about other niceties right now.

vurbano said:
Ridiculous. Voom has more HD content than D* or E*.

Never mentioned D* or E*. But since you bring them up, don't you agree that they have more content than V*? I am talking about content, not just HD content...
If you really want to start comparing HD content, try adding up how much proprietary content we have on VOOM. (Content that none of the other services offer.)
One movie = approx 2.5 hours. So each of the original channels (FU, GuyTV, etc) have about 4 movies a month = to about 10 hours of content. Is that way off base? Do they have more than 4 movies/month?
So that would be about 100 hours/mo?
I would be very interested to see exactly how much content HD VOOM has over say DirecTV (my old provider). Considering that D* has HDNet, and VOOM has the CINEMA 10 channels. I'm sure VOOM still has more content, but I wonder how much more.
It isn't about number of channels! The number of channels are just a marketing tool, we all know that!
Has anyone ever done this kind of comparison? I bet there is an engineer out there who decided to REALLY check both out before making their decision.
Again...just curious!

Happily VOOMing in the Sacramento area (with 35 OTA channels!)

Andrew B said:
Never mentioned D* or E*. But since you bring them up, don't you agree that they have more content than V*?
All I care for is HD content. If SD content is what you desire. Go to D* or E* and watch all the shopping channels you desire.
Andrew B said:
One movie = approx 2.5 hours. So each of the original channels (FU, GuyTV, etc) have about 4 movies a month = to about 10 hours of content. Is that way off base? Do they have more than 4 movies/month?
If this is true. It's still more HD than I would get elsewhere. And, as I have already said, HD is all I want. So, I'm not going to D* or E*. You can have them.

Andrew B said:
Just a thought. Perhaps they are waiting to get more HD content before releasing the DVR. ...

Andrew

I think it's more like a lack of money. How can they get behind a DVR rollout when they don't know if they have a satellite yet or a future?
I sure hope it all works out though since I'll really miss Voom if Voom LLC fails to keep it going. There is no other acceptable alternative worth spending money on. I'll have to stick with OTA and Netflix.

Bob H.

Andrew B said:
I would be very interested to see exactly how much content HD VOOM has over say DirecTV (my old provider). Considering that D* has HDNet, and VOOM has the CINEMA 10 channels. I'm sure VOOM still has more content, but I wonder how much more.

Andrew, you make a very good point. I have argued before that VOOM without a DVR actually has LESS HD content than some other providers. This is due to a lot of HD network content being non-repeating and opposite other non-repeating HD content. This is why people with Dish or Cable with the HD-DVR are perfectly happy not switching to VOOM.

Andrew B said:
Never mentioned D* or E*. But since you bring them up, don't you agree that they have more content than V*? I am talking about content, not just HD content...
If you really want to start comparing HD content, try adding up how much proprietary content we have on VOOM. (Content that none of the other services offer.)
It isn't about number of channels! The number of channels are just a marketing tool, we all know that!
Has anyone ever done this kind of comparison? I bet there is an engineer out there who decided to REALLY check both out before making their decision.
Again...just curious!

Happily VOOMing in the Sacramento area (with 35 OTA channels!)

I dont need a voom dvr for non hd content, any tivo would work. Yes I think Voom has the most valuable content. To me that is. And BTW I am a Professional Engineer licensed in this state(although that has nothing to do with broadcast engineering) and I did check out Directv as a subscriber before I chose Voom. The difference is with D* you must spent a grand on their HD DVR or else you will pull out your hair due to their anemic amount of HD content and crappy PQ.

Your calculations seem to be off.

Andrew B said:
Andrew, I'm curious as to how you arrived at the 4 movies/month figure? I looked at KUNGFU - (Channel 104) and in the past three days I found six different movies listed. Iron Monkey, The Master, The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, Onibaba, and Dragon Lord. Although the repetitive nature of these channels does limit the amount of programming, the 4 movies/month figure seems too conservative. :confused:

Voom4Me said:
Andrew, I'm curious as to how you arrived at the 4 movies/month figure? I looked at KUNGFU - (Channel 104) and in the past three days I found six different movies listed. Iron Monkey, The Master, The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, Onibaba, and Dragon Lord. Although the repetitive nature of these channels does limit the amount of programming, the 4 movies/month figure seems too conservative. :confused:

Sean lists the new movies available on the VOOM channels each month in the VOOM programming section. For March it was about 60 new movies between 11 channels, same for February, April has less (but the listing might not be complete yet). There are about 6 hours of new programming per month on Rush, 6 hrs on Ultra, 30 mins. on Animania, 2hrs on Gallery, 1 hr on Auction, 60 hrs on Worldsport, lots on Equator (because everything is new), 2 hrs on Rave. 2 hrs on LAB.

I would say there is a maximum of 300 hrs per month of new content between the VOOM 21 channels. That is out of a total on 15,000 hours of possible programming. No wonder it seems like the content repeats a lot.

jnardone said:
Sean lists the new movies available on the VOOM channels each month in the VOOM programming section. For March it was about 60 new movies between 11 channels, same for February, April has less (but the listing might not be complete yet). There are about 6 hours of new programming per month on Rush, 6 hrs on Ultra, 30 mins. on Animania, 2hrs on Gallery, 1 hr on Auction, 60 hrs on Worldsport, lots on Equator (because everything is new), 2 hrs on Rave. 2 hrs on LAB.

I would say there is a maximum of 300 hrs per month of new content between the VOOM 21 channels. That is out of a total on 15,000 hours of possible programming. No wonder it seems like the content repeats a lot.

Gallery, Auction & Animania: I do not follow very closely. There are a lot of series in here that have new episodes and those should be counted as well but it is very hard to follow and I do not have the time to do so. So there maybe more hours. Also the Lab and HDnews new content is very hard to follow as well. So let's say there is between 300-400 hours of new HD programming per month.

I see you have 15,000 hours per month for 21 channels. You can't have the HD Cinema channels as 24/7 channels because that is not the nature of their programming. Their programming is based on 2 movies per day per 30 days. Even monsters HD & HDnews does not fit into the 24/7 category but I will give you those. So 24 (hrs) *30*11 = 7,920 hours and not how to deal with HD Cinema 10 channels. 3 (hrs) *30*10 = 900 hrs. So the total is 8,820 possible hours. So that is (300-400)/(8,820).

This is only from the 21 VOOM HD package.

300-400 hours per month add to this the hours you get from:

1-Showtime HD
2-TMCHD
3-StarzHD
4-HBOHD
5-CinemaxHD
6-EncoreHD
7-DiscoveryHD
8-WealthTvHD
9-TNTHD
10-UniversalHD
11-PlayboyHD
12-ESPNHD

and now you will have a total package of hours offer by VOOM as a provider. Compare that to E* or D* or Cable. As we said always, VOOM 21 complements the HD mainstream channels very nicely. Also, none of the VOOM 21 HD channels are at a premium level. They are all part of the basic package. By itself Voom 21 HD will not cut it; it needs the other HD mainstream channels.

It doesn't matter how often a movie plays, you still can't pause it when your rude roommate comes home and insists on chatting for 10 minutes during the most critical part of the movie. You can't pause it to go pee. You can't pause it if the phone rings. You can't pause it if someone comes to your door, etc.

DarrellP said:
It doesn't matter how often a movie plays, you still can't pause it when your rude roommate comes home and insists on chatting for 10 minutes during the most critical part of the movie. You can't pause it to go pee. You can't pause it if the phone rings. You can't pause it if someone comes to your door, etc.

Ummm, sounds like my wife, that is why I am glad to have one thru Comcast.

DarrellP said:
It doesn't matter how often a movie plays, you still can't pause it when your rude roommate comes home and insists on chatting for 10 minutes during the most critical part of the movie.

My solution to you is just tell your roomate your watching a movie and be rude if you have to. I've had to pull the plug on the phone when my father in-law calls (and even after my wife tells him were watching a movie) keeps talking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)