DVR "special program" for charter members?

I'm somewhat surprised (and pleased) that the Voom email support person indicated that the DVR was still coming out.

Has anyone else (hopefully with contacts) verified this?

If the DVR could be verified the web would be abuz with activity. I bet from a technical viewpoint it's ready to be delivered but probably on hold waiting for Dolan SR to get his funding in place (if he can).

Bilodeaumj said:
If the DVR could be verified the web would be abuz with activity. I bet from a technical viewpoint it's ready to be delivered but probably on hold waiting for Dolan SR to get his funding in place (if he can).

But isn't VOOM saying "It's business as usual"? or then again maybe it's not.

I for one volunteer to be a beta tester for one! All I do is watch Voom all day while I work. Plenty of time to devote to the project.

They must offer a lease option and one company will be proving this very soon. DirecTV will be leasing their HD multiroom DVR so if they think leasing is a viable option than it must be times 1000 for Voom a startup company that doesn't have Murdock. When Voom offers their DVR and if they are smart and lease it that will be the reason I'll be back with them. I don't feel like paying a grand for an HD Tivo so that is why I'm with BHN to rent an HD DVR. Right now Voom has SciFi so that was the big channel along with USA that I couldn't live without so I'll be with Voom when they offer an HD DVR. The NFL Sunday Ticket isn't worth it for me anymore because I'm at Ray Jay for half the season and at sports bars on away games most of the time so I can do without that so that leaves HD and right now Voom has the best selection of HD but I could care less about it if I can't record it.

Voom will have my 100+ a month business if they can roll out that DVR.

My source at Voom said that the DVR is currently being delivered to Voom for future distribution. And that they plan both a lease plan, plus a trade-in program for those who bought receivers. My source seems to be fairly accurate in the past as it indicated to me about a week before it happen the news on the change of ownership. My source gave no details other then that Voom would survive and a plan was worked out. And of course it happenned. I do not like to speculate, but being an X E user, I really miss the DVR and hope my source is correct again.

JimP said:
Raylessans

In other words, is Voom stocking up on the DVRs to begin their sales/lease push on them??

Your guess is as good as mine, but that is what it sounded like. I do not know how many can be produced at a time and how long it would take for them to have an adaquate supply.

I suspect that VOOM will not have a serious long term delivery problem for the DVR considering who is doing the manufacturing. It basically is a cable DVR box with OTA and VOOM DBS tuners as opposed to the cable tuners. Motorola is a great choice for this technology from a delivery standpoint. Now from an operational standpoint, I'd prefer TIVO as it works the best and has excellent 3rd party support.

I look forward to getting the VOOM DVR here as I watch mostly VOOM when I watch live HDTV and use the TIVO only for time shifted programming. I also have the 921 but it hasn't worked right since December 7th when the destroyed the PQ with a new software.

In essence, VOOM's programming sells it for me so whether it's a purchase at $750 or a lease at $10 a month like cable, I'll be going for it when it's released. I plan to keep the existing receiver and have it moved to the Kitchen.

Im going to lease this baby...and if its 10 bucks a mth, its worth it. I am leasing the HD receiver right now and the price to lease a DVR wont be much of a difference. I really cant wait.

vinnyv07 said:
Im going to lease this baby...and if its 10 bucks a mth, its worth it. I am leasing the HD receiver right now and the price to lease a DVR wont be much of a difference. I really cant wait.

My guess is the rental rate for the DVR will be around $20 per month and not $10. The standard rental rate for the regular STB is $9.95 per month. Can't imagine renting the DVR for the same money.

I would have to think about it at that rate...20 bucks a mth would be a killer for me. Im carrying Directv and VOOm and Roadrunner for internet. At 20 bucks a mth it would be the highest DVR rental opition out there. I would think they would have to come down a little lower than that. But you might be correct ...who knows. Isnt the rental option for new customers a little lower than 10 bucks a mth. I remember VOOm said it would be lowering their rental price down to 5 bucks a mth.

In my opinion, VOOD should offer the HD DVR for $10 and thin-clients (or older STBs) at $5 per month; the purchase price, with 12 months commitment, would be something like $399 and $99 respectively.

voomster2,

I respectfully strongly disagree that most people who have an HDTV can afford to pay $800 just for Satellite EQUIPMENT.....I search and search for good home theatre deals....buy used at times and use the no interest offers from places like Best Buy. I would NEVER pay even half that much for any cable or satellite equipment........I could get a KILLER new 7.1 receiver with that kinda dough.

$300 or less to buy/or $15 a month to lease is my ceiling personally....

I agree with HD Eric. HDTVs are cheap enough these days that they are no longer found exclusively in the home theatres of those featured on "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous".

I'd be willing to bet that MOST people with HDTVs would not even be able to afford an $800+ add-on just for DVR functionality. And that even those that could--well, most of them couldn't or wouldn't justify it--I know I can't and won't...

COSTCO sells the Dish HD DVR here in LA for $489. Can't network but the market is already setting the price.
Also, I might have some technology but I'm not the ultra rich. I have a limit to the budget for this stuff.

One of the reasons I waited so long to go to VOOM was that I would not pay $500 for the equipment. I feel the same on the DVR, give me a lease option or a very low cost to purchase. I have 3 STB and if I need to record something I am sure I have a STB and VCR available somewhere in the house. I can live without a DVR but it sure would be nice to have one.

What exactly are the Charter Members?
I found GRDVOOM on myvoom and asked a CSR what this was. "It for people who signed up before August 2004 and have not changed their subs since the first of 2005"
What does that mean? No knowledge from the CSR

Does anyone here know?
TIA

Charter Members?

truqui said:
What exactly are the Charter Members?
I found GRDVOOM on myvoom and asked a CSR what this was. "It for people who signed up before August 2004 and have not changed their subs since the first of 2005"
What does that mean? No knowledge from the CSR

Does anyone here know?
TIA
It means you were one of the original Voomers.

The only reason I left DNetwork was the fact that they had promised the DVR921 to existing customers at a lower rate...they then wanted $999 after I waited FOREVER for the thing!! I left and I hold grudges!!! I hope VOOM doesn't make the same mistake. Pricing is everything...you can price yourself out of a market and I'm sure they don't need a spare like me to tell them that!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)