"DVR will be released by the end of the month!"

I received a promo for the 3 rooms for $1 in the mail today. On the third page it says "And this summer, we'll debut our HD-DVR recorder technology....." So there it is.

technojunkie said:
I received a promo for the 3 rooms for $1 in the mail today. On the third page it says "And this summer, we'll debut our HD-DVR recorder technology....." So there it is.
Well, I'm predicting the HD DVR will not be repleased in March. :p Ok, what is this stuff about Summer? Summer doesn't officially end until late September... and we are all expecting this thing to be in our homes come June.

"This Summer"???
Wonder what their definition is for the word "this".

March, and now Summer. Someones stringing us along here.

randym431 said:
"This Summer"???
Wonder what their definition is for the word "this".

March, and now Summer. Someones stringing us along here.

Actually it was "soon", then Summer 2004, then "this year", then March 2005, then "first half of 2005", then "this Summer".

I called VOOM and questioned them on the new date. They said the DVR is scheduled for release in the first half of the year AND in the Summer. That means it will definitely be released between June 21, 2005, and June 30, 2005 as those are the only dates that fall within both ranges.

jnardone said:
Actually it was "soon", then Summer 2004, then "this year", then March 2005, then "first half of 2005", then "this Summer".

I called VOOM and questioned them on the new date. They said the DVR is scheduled for release in the first half of the year AND in the Summer. That means it will definitely be released between June 21, 2005, and June 30, 2005 as those are the only dates that fall within both ranges.
ROFLMAO!!!

I asked the same thing and got a similar answer-
About the DVR, I suppose you don't have any information yet on it do you?
Answer- "Oh no, we've all been told it is in the final testing from our beta group and is expected soon. The testing is going well. We are told it will be released definitly before end of June." What's the price? "Now that, they haven't decided. We probably won't know that until the last minute."

I had an installer out this morning and the conversation went to the DVR. I was told that beta testing will be starting in about two weeks. I promised my firstborn child to take part and was told that he would let me know. Of course this is totally unsubstantiated, but my hopes are up. :)

drakezz said:
I had an installer out this morning and the conversation went to the DVR. I was told that beta testing will be starting in about two weeks. I promised my firstborn child to take part and was told that he would let me know. Of course this is totally unsubstantiated, but my hopes are up. :)

Weeks ago a CSR told me that there are already beta testers for the DVR. I was calling about a billing issue and when I was done he asked "is there anything else I can help you with?" and I asked about the DVR. Thats when he told me the above.

--Dan

Just out of curiousity, how does one become a Beta Tester for something of this magnatude? Not that I would ever get picked, but I can say that I have a knack of breaking things electronic in ways that no CSR or on-site tech support engineer has ever conceived! I believe this would certainly qualify me as a prime beta testing candidate... :)

It is just breathtakingly incompetent for Voom never to have released a DVR. How hard can it be, given that D, E and cable all have them? I was about to cancel my Voom because of it, until I heard they beat me to it. I don't think they were anywhere near close to releasing it, as they underestimated how important it was, and overestimated their ability to bring it to market.

What do you mean, no DVR from Voom??? Where did you hear that??

Just kidding with you. I'd like to believe the service will somehow continue and we'll all have our DVRs in a few weeks. We all have our own realities.

Paradox-SJ said:
Does anyone else think that the lack of a DVR was one of the major reasons Voom faile?
Well, I certainly do. It's difficult to announce yourself the "technology leader" when you don't have something so basic as DVR (especially when you continue to fail to hit delivery dates on it and no-one ever saw it).

However, it probbaly falls behind:
1. Lack of visibility - most people had never heard of the service, as it wasn't in the major eloctronic retailers or they never received a flyer promoting it (I must see about 20 each week from D and E);

2. Lack of "required" channels. I needed to receive BBC America and FSW to enable me to cancel my D. I wouldn't have continued to pay for both services. HD is great, but it isn't a requirement as a DVR and certain channels are. They got these channels in the end when they seemed to realize the gaping whole in their strategy - this would have been at about the same time as subs picked up, co-incidentally.

3. Software bugs. I was really pi**ed that I kept needing to reboot the receiver as it lost the program guide. A reboot would then need about 30 minutes to get the program guide. This was very frustrating and I'm sure otehrs would have given up becuase of this. They did seem to fix this towards the end, though, as I haven't had this problem for a month or two.

But, it was the lack of DVR that made me doubt if they had the ability to pull the whole HD experience together. Clearly, they didn't, which is such a shame as I'm going to really miss them. Hopefully, the next company, if there is ever another one, will address these obvious flaws immediately.

box quirk

the lost guide happens if the recvr is left on a non voom ch over nite or if you have a low sig. the rcvr is not getting the update - will hold 3 days worth of guide, if no up date by end of 3rd day-then no guide.

outside observer said:
the lost guide happens if the recvr is left on a non voom ch over nite or if you have a low sig. the rcvr is not getting the update - will hold 3 days worth of guide, if no up date by end of 3rd day-then no guide.
Thanks for that explanation. It no longer happens, so is unfortunately moot. I don;t think it was the latter, btw, as I was always able to receive a signal. It usually seemed to happen when I switched it on. Perhaps they never fixed it, and I just saw it happen because I no longer switch it off. If that is true, then I gave credit where it was not due :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)