EchoStar Introduces New High-Definition DVR Receiver for the HD Enthusiast

This is exactly what I could use instead of my 2 622s. TV2 for me is a total waste. I use each 622 to drive 1 TV in single mode. I use the PnP and swap all the time, especially for multiple sporting events. I also have no desire to ever drive a TV off the RF output.
Bingo! I only have one 622 but, only use it in single mode...would / will never use the TV2 outputs...

This will ONLY make sense for a CONSUMER if it leads to the end of 4-tuner lease policy or people can purchase the 612 at much lower cost than 622/722, such as what D* will charge customers for their 2-tuner HDDVR in the near future, with an OTA tuner to be one step ahead of D* HR21.

This will ONLY make sense for a CONSUMER if it leads to the end of 4-tuner lease policy or people can purchase the 612 at much lower cost than 622/722, such as what D* will charge customers for their 2-tuner HDDVR in the near future, with an OTA tuner to be one step ahead of D* HR21.
In what sence is E* going to be ahead of the HR-21. They still make an HR-20. And D* is taking the step in the right Direction with launching as many HD locals as they can. So E* is still putting OTA tuners in,while D* is fading them out.What next E* to launch 15 National SD channels from Voom.

In what sence is E* going to be ahead of the HR-21. They still make an HR-20. And D* is taking the step in the right Direction with launching as many HD locals as they can. So E* is still putting OTA tuners in,while D* is fading them out.What next E* to launch 15 National SD channels from Voom.
Given the history of many station owners holding their digital re-broadcast rights hostage, I'd much prefer to keep the OTA option, and supplement that with HD LiL.

The real advantage of this receiver is that you would not have to have it connected to a phone line to avoid the 2nd TV surcharge fee.

The real advantage of this receiver is that you would not have to have it connected to a phone line to avoid the 2nd TV surcharge fee.

Good point. I have two locations that need HDDVR's now but no phone or internet, currently only connected to TV2's from my 622's.

Everything being equal (in hardware, not HD content), the 621 will be better than the HR21 because of the OTA HD tuner.

As far as HD content, they told us by the end of 2008 they will be equal to D* in national HD's, the question is then if you can wait that long, if not go to D*.

I imagine they plan to allow customers to have two of these in their home as an option to just a 622 or 722. With the x22's, you only have one HD setup and the second output is SD. So, if you have two HDTVs you have to get a 722/211 or similar setup, which leaves people with a second HD that doesn't have DVR. That sucks for some people who have an HDTV in their living room and in their master bedroom. Those customers have to either give up HD in one of those rooms or get a 211 and have no DVR.

Hopefully, DISH will allow the promotion to include a 622/612 as a valid configuration. Then we can put the 612 in the living room and the 622 in the master and backfeed to little Johnny's room. Maybe put a 311 or 211 in another room. Easy to do with a 1k2.

Also, will be a neater install if DISH is smart enough to put the DP Separator inside the box this time. Then it could be one cable in from dish, one HDMI out to TV. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Hopefully it counts as only 1 instead of 2 so you can have more of them.

But wouldn't it be easier, as well as more sensible, to just get rid of that arbitrary limit in the first place? It makes about as much sense as having you have a phone line connected to your 622 to avoid having to pay for a 2nd receiver -- i.e. none at all.

I thought the charge is for the second tuner, not the 2nd tv

I agree with othersm I have 2 622's that i run in single mode only, so for the user this is much simpler to use, less documentation needed.

For the average user "kiss" is always best. Just look at the threads on here on how to use dual mode vs single mode and the tuner vs TV confusion

I have another twist on this receiver... now that Echostar is open to sell hardware to other content providers, given that other cable companies/sat companies may not want to deal with the hassle that can sometimes be caused by the dual tuner boxes, they now have a perfect single TV box to sell to those clients.

If E* wanted to make something useful, they would make something like the 222 with TV being able to broadcast or transmit ATSC or QAM, or an HD feed or some sort.

:( I came on here expecting to see a new receiver with 1TB internal HDD and capability of at least 1TB EHD. Oh wait that would be something that a "TRUE" HD Enthusiast would want. Why would I expect that from E*:confused:

:( I came on here expecting to see a new receiver with 1TB internal HDD and capability of at least 1TB EHD. Oh wait that would be something that a "TRUE" HD Enthusiast would want. Why would I expect that from E*:confused:
And you want that for free, without a commitment. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts