EchoStar Wins 7-Year Battle for DVR Patent

I only just read the article (quickly at that) but someone is getting a patent to save shows to their own file folder?

On the face of it; This isn't creative or original. This is something users have been asking for across all platforms for years (maybe not 2009) but anyone with a PC has been saving files to personal folders.

I want to be able to create folders by subject, (movies, kids movies, sports) is this covered by the patent? If not can I get a patent for naming folders for file storage? Can I name the folders as I please to subvert this and put family names on them?

My guess is that any patents Echostar owns will primarily be used for negotiating purposes. (Oh, you want to use our patent? You'll have to let us use yours too.)

Actually , it would allow good features. I've been waiting for something like this. I hope we this on Dish DVR's very soon. The article further states that the patent would allow users to "allocate" space on the HDD per user. THIS IS A HUGE DEAL IN FAMILIES. Often (and I have spoken with parents with this issue), the teens set to record every episode of Seinfelf or whatever comedy on EVERY channel it airs. The parents, would often have to wast time deleting the show or putting a max number of recordings to be saved, but that would be later changed by you khow who. ALL of the parents I spoke with wanted some meand by which to control how much space on the HDD their sons or daughters couls use. This could be suppored using access codes known only to the parent(s). Yes, in my day, no such device required because our parents were of a different world and we did what we were told--OR ELSE. Todays parents have no such control as that and it is seen as being "abusive" to the child. So, in this modern world of modern parenting, this would be a great feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts