Ethernet disconnect switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shanklej

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Ocala fl
This is probably in the wrong place but I have no idea where else to put it.
I need an Ethernet switch to disconnect from the internet at will.
Two ports (1 in and 1 out) and a toggle to completely disconnect from the internet.
Grandpaandgranny have such a switch to disconnect from the phone line called the "Trick".
Where can I find such an animal???
Thanks for any help.

Power down the entire switch, or just enable/disable the two ports?
?
Remote control of the off/on, or you have physical access to the switch?

?Add on to an existing switch, or you are looking for a new switch?

Budget?

Thanks for responding.
Think I have found the item.
justhitthebutton.3dcartstore.com
Seems to be what I need.

Right click on the internet connection in the task bar, click on disable.**
To Enable, Control panel Network Connections, right click on disabled wired connection, click on Enable.
If it's not there, control panel - Network Connections - wired connection properties, check box 'show in taskbar'
'Course, every flavor of windoz will have slightly different 'means' of accomplishing the above.

If you want the wire disconnected for another reason, I'd just unplug the cable. Or kill the power to the router?

any linux router you can just telnet/ssh in and

ifdown eth0

or eth1 or eth2 whatever the port is called.

pretty sure as suggested windows lets you do the same thing.

better question is why would you need such a thing lol. Ive never needed to have quick access to such a feature.

UDL

How about a managed switch with CLI. Then build a device that sends an rs232 command thur the console port.

Cisco ex.

Turn port off

Config t
Int fa 0/1
Shutdown

Turn port on

Config t
Int fa 0/1
No shutdown

So your pi hooked up to a switch.

Monoprice product #1373 is a two-way RJ45 (or 8P8C) mechanical switch that will do what you need. It sells for less than US$10. I can post a link if needed.

Simple and easy way, is to just go to your router via http. Any operating system and browser can be used. Log in, then disconnect from WAN, this leaves your local network up. (Some routers may call it 'internet'.)
192.168.254.254 is a common router address.
If not using a router, you should add one, Firewalled. (especially if you run windozze)
Want a bit more system 'hardening', change the router address to something other than the mfg default.
Ah, guess he found his solution: #4

Hi FatAir,
The simple solution is the item I found in #4.
Haven't received it yet. Company evidently has bad service. Been a week to come from New York
to Florida.:(

Funny the only reason I have ever required to physically disconnect an ethernet cable was lightning storms etc. The switch (mechanical on/off switch?) would disconnect the "internet" but there might still be a physical (conductive) connection through the switch body somehow... just keep that in mind.

I used to unplug a lot of stuff during bad lightning storms. Don't anymore. Just put a turn or two loop in every cord. Although, I won't take a shower during one. Haven't lost anything. Just had a tree a couple of blocks away get hit by lightning a couple of days ago. I was on the net at the time. Bright flash and boom all at once.
Been a week to come from New York
to Florida
Funny, I'm just about 'the end of the line'. I get stuff quicker from china than just about anywhere in the states.

I spend 90% of my time not on the internet. Programming and such.
So I need a fast easy way to turn it off and on with out wearing
out the cables.When away from the computer for long periods of
time the power supply is unplugged and also the phone. I am in the
ligntning belt of Florida. Last year my neighbor lost her computer
to lightning. I have never lost a computer to lightning in 15 years.
Going to fiber optics shortly which will reduce the lightning
problem but not eliminate it. I also have an apc unit which helps
cut down on surges. Fanatic, overkill - maybe, so but like I said
before I have never lost anything to lightning or power surges.
I have to much stuff on the computer to go through the agony of
a replacement or complete rebuild of the OS.

For lightning protection, I would just go ahead and unplug it each time. Buy spare cables and/or 8P8C/RJ-45 couplers for if/when things wear out. Forget using any kind of switch to protect against lightning, probably not worth the risk.

A switch will never protect you from lightning getting through. It only takes 25,000 volts to jump a 1 inch gap, and lightning is at much higher potential. If you are that much at risk, it's best to just keep pulling the cable. If you want to cut down on the pc's jack wear and tear, get a short jumper and remove the cable from that instead, leaving the end of the jumper in the pc.

Evidently I have not been explaining my problem very well.
The disconnect switch is used ONLY to temporarily disconnect from the Internet.
It has nothing to do with lightning.

Unplugging from the power supply and phone line is the ONLY
way to protect from lightning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

10' Dish - Pole Diameter Size Question

does anyone know if this is a good dish ,6 ft star trak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)