Ethical Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mail them a donation, and say You're often in the area on business, and really enjoy their staion....

Detroit WSTV PBS openly states coverage to Detroit area/Windsor/London/Sarnia. According to their website: 1 milllion Detroit viewers weekly. Canadian viewers 1.8 million weekly. This is because WTVS is carried on Shaw Direct and Shaw Cable. They pledge drive 60 days per year. They take Canadian dollars at par.

It's all about the money!

And beyond the donation aspect, some stations may do the unexpected and from time to time ask the general public for feedback about their programming. Even then, you still don't have to say you're an FTA viewer (although they know we're out there). I've submitted my solicited opinion during these invitation periods to a couple of stations (one that broadcasts in English and one in another language), and yep, the quality of shows actually did improve. I recall that I and another user on SatelliteGuys both won a gift card from one particular station as part of a prize give-away during the feedback period. So there is a time and place for feedback, but in the end, it is just television. So sit back and enjoy what's already out there! Have a good evening :)

Boy when the OP signs back in he is gonna be surprised at the replies. :)

I see this has created some discussion. My concern was of tipping the hand that they were being watched via satellite by those out of their normal OTA area. And, then causing them to have to reconsider their satellite distribution methods. The ethical part being in regards to the FTA community (i.e. possibly causing something to go away).

Want to thank everyone for their responses. I came to same conclusion most of you had, that it is all about the money. They don't care where it comes from, just so long as it is good. Therefore, I went ahead and kicked in a few bucks. I do enjoy some of their programming. And just in case nobody figured it out, it was for OETA.

We watch MPT while at our RV. Almost never watch VA PBS. Was tempted to donate to MPT but my hand cramped up reaching for my wallet.

So I admire that you are going to the trouble to donate.

Although we are in Virginia, we are unable to receive the "local" PBS station OTA, due to mountains. So we watch WVPBS (OTA)and contribute to them. It is not a problem in this area, as the WV PBS covers the entire state of WVa, and coverage extends well into most of the neighboring states. We do occasionally watch FTA PBS; but our contribution goes to the WV PBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts