ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for the NCAA to step in and "death penalty" Penn State. There are still members of the coaching staff and people around the program that participated in the cover up.

This is not giving cash, cars, tattoos or houses to parents. These are unspeakable crimes covered up by the program and administration.

The NCAA wants to act all mighty when a kid gets a free pizza or sneakers, now it's time to step up when people were actually raped because of a programs "lack of institutional control".

I agree, not enough bad things can happen to Penn State. But I feel bad for Billy O'Brien, his staff, and all the student athletes that had absolutely nothing to do with this disgusting situation.

While I agree Penn State needs to be punished heavily, I just wonder if the death penalty is the answer. If the current staff has no attachment to the past and it seems the kids don't either, is that the right thing to do? I think they need to lose a bunch of athletic scholarships, no national TV, no bowl games, and maybe huge donations to a charity (Not the NCAA). I know they will lose millions of dollars in the lawsuits that are sure to come. But somehow the NCAA needs to let it be known that any kind of criminal coverup will never be tolerated.

It's time for the NCAA to step in and "death penalty" Penn State. There are still members of the coaching staff and people around the program that participated in the cover up.

This is not giving cash, cars, tattoos or houses to parents. These are unspeakable crimes covered up by the program and administration.

The NCAA wants to act all mighty when a kid gets a free pizza or sneakers, now it's time to step up when people were actually raped because of a programs "lack of institutional control".

I have been screaming this from day 1! This is WAY beyond sports but so obvious that the administration for this school thought MORE of the sport and the school that thought of the victims were not even considered.

I agree, not enough bad things can happen to Penn State. But I feel bad for Billy O'Brien, his staff, and all the student athletes that had absolutely nothing to do with this disgusting situation.

And I agree...but schools get punished for things athletes did at their school YEARS later. MAYBE, by giving them the death penalty for 1 year.... it will put in to peoples minds that sports and the reputation of school should not be put ahead of assaulted/molested victims.

And I agree...but schools get punished for things athletes did at their school YEARS later. MAYBE, by giving them the death penalty for 1 year.... it will put in to peoples minds that sports and the reputation of school should not be put ahead of assaulted/molested victims.

Well said!! If it would prevent this from ever happening again......the death penalty would be well worth it!!

I think the death penalty isn't enough, or at least that 1 year isn't enough. Reading parts of this report makes my blood boil. If it were up to me, I'd extend the Death Penalty to last for every year that Paterno was head coach, but obviously that won't happen. They'd better enact it, because if they don't, the NCAA is saying that paying athletes to play is more offensive than covering up child molestation..

Time to file criminal charges against those that covered this up. They were just as guilty of the crimes since they covered everything up and allowed things to continue for years.

I would actually love to see the Big 10 come out and announce that they are going to remove Penn State from the conference and replace them with another team.

I didn't think it possible that I could be more upset about this debacle. I was wrong.

Hart5150 said:
Hey ESPN get Matt Millen the hell off TV, as usual he is making a complete and total ass out of himself.

I agree. I saw his interview yesterday and was stunned what Millen said.
Saying it was the president of the school not Jo Pa who's to blame.
Give me a freakin break!!!!

I haven't chimed in on this, but I have some major thoughts on this:

Joe Paterno's legacy is stained for good. I'll never think of him, the program, or the school the same again. All because of what he should have done but did not do.

Sandusky- I never would have suspected him 15-20 years ago of all people to be so monstrously evil.

The other guys/central figures in this (Curley, etc.)- they'll get what's coming to them. They bear heavy guilt and responsibility themselves- this is not just all about Paterno and Sandusky.

As for the idea of a death penalty- well, they have already suffered a lot and it's not going to get any better. I don't think it makes the most complete sense to punish the coaches and players that had nothing to do with it. That said, if they have to give them extreme penalties, then do whatever it takes to make sure things like this shall never happen again.

I've seen the "I don't think it makes the most complete sense to punish the coaches and players that had nothing to do with it" line quite a bit, I think most overlook how NCAA sanctions typically miss those who cause the violations. It would be punishment for the program/college for a complete and total lack of institutional control, and I don't think it's inappropriate to do so at all.

...Joe Paterno's legacy is stained for good. I'll never think of him, the program, or the school the same again. All because of what he should have done but did not do.

Same here. It just may go to show that his AGE did play a factor in what happened. For example, my friend Charlie, whose mother was 60 and his father 65 when we were 13-years old, couldn't control him and he largely did whatever he wanted to do. Sure, they would fight with him for a minute or two, but they quickly gave up and sat down to read the news paper saying, "I'm too old to deal with this #$%." Obviously, his siblings (8 of them who were in their 30s and maybe even early 40s - he had three nieces and nephews who were older than he was) could not believe the stuff he wasn't getting away with because their home was ruled by a strict dictatorship when they were growing-up.

I'm sorry, but as a 70-year old man Joe Paterno just didn't have the time, energy and zeal to devote to looking after his football team and program. Heck, for the last 5years he basically coached in the comfort of the air-moderated coaching booth. Offhand, I am surprised there weren't a lot more incidents of his players being out-of-control over the past 15-20 years. I'm sorry, but I'm convinced a younger Joe Pa would have dealt with this problem much, much differently. He simply was overtaken by his age and the circumstances (e.g., Jerry couldn't possibly have done anything so wrong...if I take a nap it will all go away). Hopefully we'll see mandatory retirement at age 62 in the college coaching profession.

Sandusky- I never would have suspected him 15-20 years ago of all people to be so monstrously evil.

And a Paterno in his prime would have dealt with this situation much differently.

I've seen the "I don't think it makes the most complete sense to punish the coaches and players that had nothing to do with it" line quite a bit, I think most overlook how NCAA sanctions typically miss those who cause the violations. It would be punishment for the program/college for a complete and total lack of institutional control, and I don't think it's inappropriate to do so at all.

The institution is what is - and should - be punished. Any player there now has had a year to realize this program is in serious trouble, and time to look for another place to play. Yeah, it sucks for those who are still there, but this school's football program needs to be given the death penalty. The offenses committed are far too serious to do anything else.

I always suspected the Penn State football program would take a tumble after the JoPa era...but it's going to Crash & Burn. I can't see many of the top prospects wanting to play at what is going to be called Molest U. in the coming years.

I always suspected the Penn State football program would take a tumble after the JoPa era...but it's going to Crash & Burn. I can't see many of the top prospects wanting to play at what is going to be called Molest U. in the coming years.

We didn't go that far, but in NCAA 13 we changed them to Ped State, playing in Lockerroom Shower Stadium and they're coached by Creepy Uncle.

Ok maybe that's as far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does anyone else thing Paterno's age had anything to do with what happened? I think the guy was living in the past and didn't fully process everything he was hearing. While I personally feel that he was a good and decent man, I think that he will be remembered as a sad and pathetic figure based on these events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)