Explain how MyNetworkTV works?

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
What really is MyNetworkTV meant to be?, how does it really work? I was looking on their wiki page for the programmes it shows-It says it shows just one program each weekday night?walking Dead, Law and Order, Mentalist Bones. Why are these programmes highlighted?, are all the programmes they show not syndicated not just these programmes?

The ones you mention are their prime time shows, outside of prime time they also air, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Friends, Judge Judy, and others, I think most of their shows are syndicated.

My Network is a programming service. They have 2 hours of programming 5 nights a week. Thats it

The rest of the time the station has to fill with other programming. Depending on the market the following may happen
-Major Markets have it as a stand alone service that depending on the owner may have programming from a co-owned station. Minneapolis My (WFTC) is co-owned with Fox KMSP so most of the programs on Fox 9 (judge shows, TMZ Live) are also shown on My29

-Smaller markets can take it a few ways
-They can do the same thing as major markets. They show syndicated programming. My local My affiliate does that. They have Maury, Jerry, judge shows (usually multiple episodes).
-Some have it as a secondary affiliate of the Fox affiliate. They show My Network programming after Fox is done (so 10-12, 9-11). Example is Jacksonville, FL and Alpena, MI
-They fill the other times with subchannel type programming (Me, Cozi, Soul of South, AntennaTV). They can run that programming except for the 2 hour My or they can show some syndicated programming too. Examples are Salisbury, MD (Cozi), Richmod, VA, Omaha, NE and Dayton, OH (This), Des Moines, IA (H&I), Myrtle Beach, SC and Jackson, TN (Antenna)

So their primetime programming of 2 hours a night 5 nights a week is the same on every MyNetworkTV channel?, but the rest of the time its different?

The ones you mention are their prime time shows, outside of prime time they also air, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Friends, Judge Judy, and others, I think most of their shows are syndicated.
not necessarily. Syndicated programming can be purchased by any station. In the list you posted none of those are on my local "My" affiliate. In Minneapolis (where My is O&O) the only programs on there from your list is BBT and Judy (Fox has the main episodes, My has reruns). Ironically the other shows you listed in Mpls are on the Independent station (KSTC)

Even the "big" syndicated shows like Phil, Ellen, Rachel, Oz there are the "common" stations they are on (like Phil is mainly on CBS) but not necessarily. Using the examples there the difference between 3 markets (Minneapolis, Mankato, Duluth)
Phil
CBS Mpls
CBS Mankato
NBC Duluth

Ellen
CBS Mpls
CBS Mankato
ABC Duluth

Rachel
NBC Mpls
Fox Mankato
ABC Duluth

Oz
Fox Mpls
CBS Duluth
Fox Mankato

These are some of the shows on the My Network affiliate in Boston which is the one I watch.

so shows like friends, big bang theory can be syndicated on ABC,NBC, MyNetworkTV affiliates etc like first-run syndicated shows like Judy Judy,

The OTA channel here goes by MeMy (11.3) - the channel banner shows MeMy---as it shows Me TV programming the balance of the time--other than the 2 hr. block of My Tv and a few local programs from the CBS and NBC local stations--which MeMy is an subchannel of.

It’s been upwards of a decade and I don’t even think Fox knows what My Network TV is supposed to be. Somewhere I remember years ago I remember reading that the original intent of My Network TV was to show telenovelas. I hardly never watch our MyNet TV affiliate here in Buffalo, only thing I ever watched and this hasn’t been for years, is the local NCAA Div I football team had games on the syndicated MAC Network that aired on WNYO 49, but now UB gets a few games a year on ESPN U, Time Warner Cable Sports Net and streaming on ESPN 3. In NYC WWOR My 9 gets a small handful of Yankees games, they are produced by YES but are aired on My 9.

so shows like friends, big bang theory can be syndicated on ABC,NBC, MyNetworkTV affiliates etc like first-run syndicated shows like Judy Judy,

correct
while in some major markets its usually on the same network the syndicated stuff can be picked up by anyone who pays for it

I know until a couple years ago the CBS in Mankato, MN (90 miles from Minneapolis) had Friends on twice a day. Using my market (Duluth), Minneapolis and Mankato here are some examples of different syndicated shows on different networks (note Mankato only has CBS & FOX)

2 1/2 men
Mankato-Fox
Duluth-none
Minneapolis-CW

BBT
Mankato-Fox
Minneapolis-My
Duluth-Fox

Mike and Molly
Mankato-Fox
Minneapolis-Independent
Duluth-Fox

Springer
Mankato-none
Minneapolis-CW
Duluth-NBC (yes...its at 3 in the morning)

Maury
Mankato-none
Minneapolis-CW
Duluth-My

Access Hollywood
Mankato-CBS
Minneapolis-ABC
Duluth-My

The OTA channel here goes by MeMy (11.3) - the channel banner shows MeMy---as it shows Me TV programming the balance of the time--other than the 2 hr. block of My Tv and a few local programs from the CBS and NBC local stations--which MeMy is an subchannel of.

yup that falls into what I mentioned earlier with the "smaller" markets
They fill the other times with subchannel type programming (Me, Cozi, Soul of South, AntennaTV). They can run that programming except for the 2 hour My or they can show some syndicated programming too

It’s been upwards of a decade and I don’t even think Fox knows what My Network TV is supposed to be. Somewhere I remember years ago I remember reading that the original intent of My Network TV was to show telenovelas. I hardly never watch our MyNet TV affiliate here in Buffalo, only thing I ever watched and this hasn’t been for years, is the local NCAA Div I football team had games on the syndicated MAC Network that aired on WNYO 49, but now UB gets a few games a year on ESPN U, Time Warner Cable Sports Net and streaming on ESPN 3. In NYC WWOR My 9 gets a small handful of Yankees games, they are produced by YES but are aired on My 9.

Yep, actually got into some of them even though could not speak Spanish. Then they started to air "Jail" re-runs which was not bad.

Basically a MyNetwork station is nothing but an independent station except for the two hours of "network" programming, and the "MyXX" branding that many use.
Just because Dr. Phil, Friends, or Seinfeld might come on Fox, ABC, My, etc.. in your market doesn't mean that program does in another. Syndicated programming varies from station (or affiliate) to station in a given market.

Basically a MyNetwork station is nothing but an independent station except for the two hours of "network" programming, and the "MyXX" branding that many use.
Just because Dr. Phil, Friends, or Seinfeld might come on Fox, ABC, My, etc.. in your market doesn't mean that program does in another. Syndicated programming varies from station (or affiliate) to station in a given market.
you mean the two posts I already made on that didnt get the point across ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3630892/
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3633001/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)