External hard drive not recognized

hank426

Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Northern N.H.
Hi i'm new here. I have a Hopper which I like very much. My problem is that when I try to connect an external hard drive that has alot of movies on it (WD Essentials 1tb) my hopper doesn't see it at all. The programming on the hd was recorded with a 211k I had a few years ago. Why won't my hopper recognize it??? I have another empty hd that is identical and it offers to format that right away. Any help? Thanks

So anything recorded with a 211k is not going to work on a hopper. Thats pretty stupid. Why did they change the format?! Thanks for the info.

Yep, the 622/722/Hopper format will NOT recognize EHD recordings from a 211, a different format.. No need to check anything or reset Hopper. If you want to use the other drive, yes, let it be reformatted. Nothing changed. Been that way from the beginning of the EHD availability.

You will be able to use the hard drive but you will lose your recordings. You have to reformat the hard drive in Windows format using an Apple computer. When you hook it back to the Hopper, it will be reformatted again to the format the Hopper uses. The reason you cannot format it on a Windows computer is because the Windows computer won't recognise it. Apple does not care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts