fabricating a cband dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
there is a video on youtube of some dude buildng one himself it looked neat, even made a machine to bend the ribs exact

The Aussies have a long old thread on building your own dish.
The title may say 75cm, but they get into all sorts of various sizes.
See the Vetrun Forum, and tell 'em I sent ya. :rolleyes:

Now, as to the practicality.
If you lived in Cuba, it might make sense.
Living in most of North America, there is always an unused BUD to be found somewhere.
By careful shopping, I found two of the nicest dishes you could imagine, both with H-H mounts!
Just ask for it, haul it away, and set it up.
You'll be better off than trying to make your own.

I would look for a dish first, unless you want to amaze you freinds by saing I built that!

the hard part would be making a mount that would properly track the arc.

.....the hard part would be making a mount that would properly track the arc.

That's the easy part because all the angles are adjustable. The hard part is maintaining plus or minus 0.015" accuracy for the parabolic curve. Without accuracy it takes a fifteen foot dish to perform like a six foot. That's the Birdview secret to performance, maintaining a true parabolic surface.

I thought about that before I found two big dishes (including my current Birdview) for free - just haul them away.

I thought of borrowing someone's big dish and pouring concrete in it, flipping it over, waxing it and then fiberglassing a dish of the right size

There is also an amateurs way of making a parabolic shape with a string, a T square and a pencil. So you could possibly be careful with this method and then bend or form ribs to match the shape.

But they give big dishes away and the parabolas are much more exact than you can do on your own. Just look for a roof with a big dish in good shape with a small dish near it. Offer to take the big dish away.

As I said, I got two that way.

well after reading some post here decide against building my own dish now what would it take to get this dish in to working condition

Attachments

• Satellite dish 2.jpg
    Satellite dish 2.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 616
  • Satellite dish 1.jpg
    Satellite dish 1.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 586
i would FOR SURE get the 10 foot unimesh
that old dish is old, at least pre 86

90 clams and you get a receiver to steer it

that old dish doesnt even have a regualr feedhorn on it a large ammount of fabbing would be required to put a regular feedhorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts