Facepalm thread

CNN decided to use a screenshot from Fallout 4 in a news story about Russian Hackers..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cnn-uses...k-190753731.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Why is this in the facepalm thread? Terminals like this are exactly how Russia hacked us.

X6HgD.jpg

At least they put it at an angle and cropped out the edges in the image they used. I'm not sure I would have recognized it as Fallout 4 if I was watching on TV.

M6k3P9WZzHkvATdeFubqDS-650-80.png

In the world of game reviews, it is an unfortunate truth that some publishers will blacklist outlets that don't give their games good reviews. Usually this is done by a BIG publisher with a lot of games, typically on lower profile media outlets. Game companies can't really intimidate an IGN or Gamespot, but they may be able to on smaller media . A Triple-A company doing it may be common, but when an indie developer or small company without a lot of games does it, it's a bit dumb and perplexing. After all, what media outlet is going to suffer when an obscure company denies them access for not giving a good review? Well unfortunately Badfly Interactive tried to threaten outlets with blacklisting if they didn't give their game Dead Effect 2 a positive review. Now it has been made public and they've become a huge joke in the gaming world.

http://cogconnected.com/2017/01/developer-threatens-media-outlets-2/

This is exactly why bigger developers/publishers have PR to handle the press. The people making the game should not be in charge of deciding who gets review codes and writing the emails that go with them. They aren't trained in this kind of thing and they are also the people who are going to take it most personally when a game gets a bad score because it's their hard work getting trashed. Unfortunately for small indie teams like this one with 11 people on staff it probably isn't realistic to have a full time PR employee.

I'm not trying to say that what this guy put in the email with his review codes wasn't really dumb. It definitely was. All I'm saying is that this guy clearly had no idea what he was doing. The game has a mostly positive rating on Steam so it seems like he actually made a decent product. Being able to design a video game and dealing with press are to completely unrelated skill sets though.

Jesse Cox, popular YouTuber, felt that THIS was an appropriate Tweet.

upload_2017-1-20_19-7-17.png

Now, I'm no Trump fan and I am NOT looking to make this political. Just think when you start declaring hatred upon kids you don't even know that it really doesn't make you look good.

Strangely I found out about the tweet from this other one:

What 10 year old isn't going to be bored at an inauguration?

btw, who or what is Jesse Cox? And should we even care what he says?

Funcom, the creators of Conan Exiles, uploaded an update of the game that didn't include the Denovo DRM. As a result a DRM free version was released and pirates grabbed it and now you can play online for free on Private servers.

While this is definitely a facepalm to release your software without some DRM, the damage will likely be minimal given the fact that A: The pirated version won't receive any updates, and B: Its an Early Access game.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/pirates-pounce-on-conan-exiles-after-developers-acciden-1791987549

PewDiePie decided to upload a video where he paid 2 Indian guys to hold up a banner that said "Death to All Jews." This apparently isn't the first time that he's done work with antisemitic stuff in it, but this appears to be the final straw. As a result, Disney and even YouTube have decided to sever business ties with him. In regards to YouTube, they haven't closed his channel but they took him off the YouTube Red Creators club and took him off some lists that will hurt his advertising revenue.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/14/youtube-cancels-pewdiepie-original-series/?sr_source=Facebook

PewDiePie decided to upload a video where he paid 2 Indian guys to hold up a banner that said "Death to All Jews." This apparently isn't the first time that he's done work with antisemitic stuff in it, but this appears to be the final straw. As a result, Disney and even YouTube have decided to sever business ties with him. In regards to YouTube, they haven't closed his channel but they took him off the YouTube Red Creators club and took him off some lists that will hurt his advertising revenue.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/14/youtube-cancels-pewdiepie-original-series/?sr_source=Facebook
Ethan from the popular Channel h3h3productions has released a video better explaining the PewDiePie situation.

Halo Wars 2 on PC has the most f-ed up control and binding system perhaps in the history of PC gaming...

WWE2K17 released some new DLC recently (read: New Characters.) Now when new characters are brought in, new commentary needs to be in as well to talk about them. Looks like someone at 2K didn't feel like doing proper editing.

Apparently people like this still exist..

Ridiculous. I just got my shipping confirmation email from Amazon letting me know that my copy will be here tomorrow. I'll somehow manage to suffer through it even though the main character is a woman.

Most guys I know like it when the main character is a woman, scantily dressed of course.

Yeah, I could care less if the character is a man or a woman in the games I play. Playing a game with a woman main character doesn't break the immersion for me because I'm already not that immersed. When I play inFamous my mind doesn't trick me into thinking I have electric powers.

I look at it in a similar way to the way I would look at movies. For story focused games I just want to see a good story play out. I don't care if that story is about a man, woman, animal, or alien as long as the story is interesting. I wouldn't avoid movies because they happen to star a woman and it's just as ridiculous to avoid games for the same reason.

Reactions: Derwin0
Ridiculous. I just got my shipping confirmation email from Amazon letting me know that my copy will be here tomorrow. I'll somehow manage to suffer through it even though the main character is a woman.
And I just got my email confirmation from Gamefly telling me the game will get here when it gets here. Hopefully I can mentally prepare myself to play as a girl in a big adventure by then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)