Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Has the upload file size limit changed? I am having trouble uploading JPG files for new pics from my cell phone. What is the file size limit?

Last edited:
Are you using an iPhone perchance? It isn't uncommon to see JPEG images in excess of 4MB if you're not using an app.

Are you using an iPhone perchance? It isn't uncommon to see JPEG images in excess of 4MB if you're not using an app.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Android. The file size of the two pics I tried to upload is 2,957 KB and 3,606 KB.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Android. The file size of the two pics I tried to upload is 2,957 KB and 3,606 KB.
That's awfully, awfully large.

I don't know the answer to your question but I can state that most won't be able to make effective use of pictures much larger than 1600x900 pixels for on-screen viewing so if you've got pictures that are 3-4000 pixels wide, you should endeavor to scale them down signficantly (by a factor of 4?) before uploading. This will reduce the file size significantly saving resources at the satelliteguys end as well as bandwidth involved in moving such large pictures around.

Your file size is fine, albeit pretty large for a photo, to share on the web. Your problem most likely is you are exceeding the 800x600 resolution limit on image files.

Thanks for the info. I know my phone had a recent update and the camera is different now. Maybe something changed making the files too large. I am not real good with the camera but will check the settings to see if I can figure it out.

Front camera picture size has three settings. I took test pics for all three settings. All three fail to upload in SatGuys because file size is too large for the server to process. What other settings can I change in my smartphone camera? Maybe I am not saving the pics in the best way. I do the following when I upload pics in SatGuys: take pic with smartphone, email the pic to myself, in laptop save the email pic in a JPG file, in SatGuys site select the file to upload. This is the method I have used in the past with no issues. Here are the front camera three settings and the saved file size in my laptop. Thanks for all the help.

4:3 (5.0 M) 2592x1944, Saved pic file size 3,277 KB

16:9 (3.8 M) 2594x1458, Saved pic file size 3,762 KB

1:1 (3.7 M) 1936x1936, Saved pic file size 3,677 KB

Sorry I was away from the computer most of the day and will be away most of the day tomorrow as well too..

However I just made some changes to the system, for some reason things were defaulted for 2M when it should have been higher. I have raised it now. :D

Sorry for the trouble!
OK, that fixed it. Thanks Scott.

Nevertheless, you should scale the pictures down to something considerably smaller in pixels. 800x600 might be a bit small but I suggest something less than 1600x900 pixels. The phone apps can help with this (as well as avoiding firing pictures around via e-mail).
How do I scale down to 1600x900? See post #7.

How do I scale down to 1600x900? See post #7.
It appears that you've already been there in post #7.

Since the resolutions are still "too large", I would recommend something like Photo & Picture Resizer or whatever you might use on your computer for viewing pictures.

I use Irfanview on a Windows computer to scale pictures. It has many options and works quickly and easily.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It appears that you've already been there in post #7.

Since the resolutions are still "too large", I would recommend something like Photo & Picture Resizer or whatever you might use on your computer for viewing pictures.

I use Irfanview on a Windows computer to scale pictures. It has many options and works quickly and easily.
OK, thanks. The file upload works for me now since Scott set the limit up.

What other settings can I change in my smartphone camera?
Don't reduce the size of the pictures you take. This will impact ALL of your photos, not just the few that you may upload here on occasion. Keep everything "full" size and reduce the specific ones you intend to upload on a case-by-case basis.

Reactions: FTA4PA and DWS44
Don't reduce the size of the pictures you take. This will impact ALL of your photos, not just the few that you may upload here on occasion. Keep everything "full" size and reduce the specific ones you intend to upload on a case-by-case basis.
I did'nt reduce the photo size. I only have three sizes to choose and none of them worked. Scott increased the site upload file limit and now I am not having any issues.

I meant in the grand scheme of things. If he kept a restriction in place or this impacted you at other sites, my point is, don't reduce the resolution of ALL of your photos to compensate.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)