fios question

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
whats it look like when verizon runs fios down a road?

they are doing something i have never seen on my road and im curious

I did fiber connections way way back in its early days - the mid 70's for NY Tel.

The connection had to be done in a clean environment compared to copper connections. We would open a manhole and then backup a special truck that had an attachment on the rear that would cover the manhole opening. We would then pull the two fiber cables into this contraption that would connect the two cables together using heat. It took between an half hour to an hour doing each manhole. The hardest part was racking the cable in the manhole after the connection was made as we had to loop the excess cable - making sure we didn't kink any of it,

Wow. I watched my Fios install those days are LONG gone. You should see the filth in my box!

no manholes
they are running an orange 1.5-2" conduit/cable between @ 2'x3' ?vaults? spaced @500-600' apart
very strange. there are no houses in the area, very rural

no manholes
they are running an orange 1.5-2" conduit/cable between @ 2'x3' ?vaults? spaced @500-600' apart
very strange. there are no houses in the area, very rural

That's probably FiOS. That's exactly what they did in my neighborhood.

makes no sense, houses are a mile apart for the most part

It could be privately funded. I'm looking at a 20 acre plot, way out in the middle of nowhere, and the developer worked a deal with Verizon to bring FiOS out there. High speed internet is what has prevented me from moving to the country before.

It was less than 6 months for me. IIRC, they took orders about 3 months after they started digging in the neighborhood.

Some guy came thru our neighborhood. I wouldn't take his paper or listen to his spiel. Just made him take my order. I was one of the first, if not THE first, subscribers in my neighborhood. I am stunned that the whole place didn't switch over. I couldn't wait to dump Cox. People are lazy. Fios is far better and maybe cheaper. Certainly far more reliable.

Rain on his parade.

Ours had boxes every other lot. Being on a corner, I had three. Idiots sowed grass seed in the middle of a flower bed where they put a box. Wife gave them a "blessing."

i finally found out some info

"Engineering has replied back to me and confirmed that the fiber optic cable that was placed in front of your house earlier this year is to serve a cell tower. There are no plans in the near future for any FIOS capability for this address. I am so sorry that we will not be able to provide you with the services at this time."

it makes no sense to install the vaults every 500ft or so for a trunk line/feed

i finally found out some info

"Engineering has replied back to me and confirmed that the fiber optic cable that was placed in front of your house earlier this year is to serve a cell tower. There are no plans in the near future for any FIOS capability for this address. I am so sorry that we will not be able to provide you with the services at this time."

it makes no sense to install the vaults every 500ft or so for a trunk line/feed
Well 500' was about how often we had to splice it back in 70's.

Don't know if that was because we were using existing manholes.

And those vaults do serve multiple purposes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts